PDA

View Full Version : Why does Federer not play back on clay?

ttwarrior1
06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
If he backed up a foot i think it would help. He is like 2 inches behind the baseline and nadal is like 5 feet behind it sometimes. Same reason i think nadal lost at us open, nadal needed to come in closer.

bluegrasser
06-10-2007, 10:23 AM
If he backed up a foot i think it would help. He is like 2 inches behind the baseline and nadal is like 5 feet behind it sometimes. Same reason i think nadal lost at us open, nadal needed to come in closer.

If he backed up he'd lose 2,2, &2..he won the second set when he attacked and hit the ball early, if he stayed back and tried to rally with the dirt baller he'd be toast, as in *burnt* toast.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
If he backed up he'd lose 2,2, &2..he won the second set when he attacked and hit the ball early, if he stayed back and tried to rally with the dirt baller he'd be toast, as in *burnt* toast.

Pretty much. It's like when us recreational hacks play against a pusher...do you try to out-push? No, because that's his game and he's probably better at it.

Nadal is obviously the best at his game on clay...I don't think anyone's going to beat him by trying to play his style better than he does.

Note: I'm not saying Nadal's a pusher; my opinion is very much the opposite of that. The pusher example happened to be relevant in this case. ;)

armand
06-10-2007, 11:24 AM
If he backed up a foot i think it would help. He is like 2 inches behind the baseline and nadal is like 5 feet behind it sometimes. Same reason i think nadal lost at us open, nadal needed to come in closer.Because Nadal's kick would go not just 10' high, but an additional 10' over Roger's head! Just like your 300+lbs friend, Nadal is just as good, possibly even better!

ttwarrior1
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
i mean just one first return, like return of serve

Fries-N-Gravy
06-10-2007, 12:48 PM
i don't think you realize how high Nadal's shots bounce, already forcing fed's shots to bounce at the service line.