PDA

View Full Version : Nadal will win the U.S. Open

TokyopunK
06-10-2007, 10:11 AM
You heard it here first.

I don't think Roger can recover from the thrashing he got today. He fled without granting an interview to Bud Collins. Earlier this week, Roddick lost in doubles in grass and fled the scene in a limo.

I don't think these guys are going to be able to challenge Nadal on hard court.

Tennis_Monk
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks . but Nadal isnt going to win US open.
What he did today , while outstanding wasnt anything out of his capabilities. It will take a lot to snatch USOpen from Federer.

That being said, i like the fact that competition is heating up for Federer with Djokovic and Murray posing some tough challenges while Hewitt is on Upswing.

Lets not forget Andy Roddick. He can serve himself into contention too. He had bad serving days against Federer a lot..but someday sometime, he may get lucky . (i dont believe this but i said it anywayz)

Andrew
06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
You heard it here first.

I don't think Roger can recover from the thrashing he got today. He fled without granting an interview to Bud Collins. Earlier this week, Roddick lost in doubles in grass and fled the scene in a limo.

Yeah, doubt it.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 10:16 AM
This is getting pretty ridiculous.

sureshs
06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Nadal will win 2008 Australian Open.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Any 2012 predictions?

BigServer1
06-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I remember hearing this last year, when Nadal was 6-1 against Fed and his career was effectively over. If I'm correct, Nadal went into a tailspin after Wimbledon and didn't win anything until Indian Wells. Nadal is a tremendous player, and the king of clay without a doubt. But he hasn't beaten Federer on a non clay surface in more than a year, and that's assuming he can get to the finals of the US Open/other HC events, which he hasn't done consistently. Nadal should do better than last year, but don't expect him to be the favorite at a faster HC tourney quite yet.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I remember hearing this last year, when Nadal was 6-1 against Fed and his career was effectively over. If I'm correct, Nadal went into a tailspin after Wimbledon and didn't win anything until Indian Wells. Nadal is a tremendous player, and the king of clay without a doubt. But he hasn't beaten Federer on a non clay surface in more than a year, and that's assuming he can get to the finals of the US Open/other HC events, which he hasn't done consistently. Nadal should do better than last year, but don't expect him to be the favorite at a faster HC tourney quite yet.

Agreed.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of talk that Nadal is on the decline, Federer has figured him out, etc. etc.

I think posters around here tend to heavily overreact to the implications of single matches, on both ends of the spectrum.

After Hamburg, I still thought Nadal was the better player on clay and would probably win the French.

And I still think Federer is the overwhelming favorite at every tournament he plays for the rest of the year. He absolutely has the edge against Nadal on grass, the fast summer hardcourts, and indoors.

psamp14
06-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Any 2012 predictions?

yes, federer will win the 2012 olympic games and retire...

in all fairness, i dont think nadal will win the us open...federer has established his confidence to beat nadal on every surface now, of course exception to clay

these boards will go crazy for the next week or so, in good and bad ways

good: praise nadal's 3rd french open title, prospect of doing well again at wimbledon, promising future of making deep runs and winning tournaments for the rest of the year

bad: claiming he'll win everything, making useless and unnecessary threads, flaming, bashing, threads on federer should retire, federer sucks, etc, nadal's the GOAT....

but if you trust and respect me as a poster, you will see reason in my opinions...

i think federer will have a short hangover in halle this week, winning matches sluggishly, but in the week off before wimbledon, he'll regroup, change his attitude, and he'll win wimbledon and the us open

and for next year, with the AO's new hard court surface, he'll have a great shot of kicking off 2008 with a slam win, setting up a 3rd realistic shot at winning the french open

fishuuuuu
06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
You heard it here first.

Maybe you forgot that the USOpen is played on real hard court, not the red clay hard courts you have in your wet dreams of Nadal. In real life, there are guys called Berdych, Blake, Djokovic, and Federer to give him a rude awakening.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Maybe you forgot that the USOpen is played on real hard court, not the red clay hard courts you have in your wet dreams of Nadal. In real life, there are guys called Berdych, Blake, Djokovic, and Federer to give him a rude awakening.

Also Youzhny and Gonzalez.

What do you have against clay, though? It's a great surface.

helloworld
06-10-2007, 11:12 AM
He can do it, but we can't say that he will win it until he does.

ACE of Hearts
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
These are fast surfaces.He wont win if he stays behind he baseline and not with that extreme grip he uses.Only a handful of players excel on fast surfaces.

onkystomper
06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Djokoviv is more likely to upset Fed at US than Nadal is

netman
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Let's see....

Nadal is the world number one player on clay. But don't forget, Federer is the world's second best player on clay.

Federer is the world's number one player on every other surface. Nadal is definitely not the second best player on any of the other surfaces. Top 5 maybe, but definitely not number 2.

So there is still a fairly wide gap between Federer and Nadal. And a yawning chasm between them and the rest of the tour.

Nadal is not going to win another Slam this year as long as Fed is still in the draw. Now an injury or shocking upset to Fed and suddenly all bets are off.

Fedace
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
No i don't think so. nadal's hard court game is still too venurable to guys like berdych, Blake and Youzny. rafa again lost to YOuz man earlier this year in Dubai.

FitzRoy
06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Nadal is not going to win another Slam this year as long as Fed is still in the draw. Now an injury or shocking upset to Fed and suddenly all bets are off.

I agree that Nadal won't be beating Fed at Wimbledon or the US...not unless they uproot the present courts and throw down the red stuff.

At this point Wimbledon is more suited to Nadal than is the US, due to the changes to the grass surface in recent years. I think Nadal would struggle to win a set against Federer at the US; the low-bouncing fast hard court looks to be Nadal's worst surface at this point, and possibly Federer's best (I think it's tied with Wimbledon).

pow
06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Also Youzhny and Gonzalez.

What do you have against clay, though? It's a great surface.

Yea there is a big list of people who are consistently able to take out Nadal on hard courts.

bluegrasser
06-10-2007, 11:53 AM
No i don't think so. nadal's hard court game is still too venurable to guys like berdych, Blake and Youzny. rafa again lost to YOuz man earlier this year in Dubai.

Nadal beat Fed on hard court, so i think he has a shot at the USO, at least make it to the semis.

ACE of Hearts
06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
He beat him on a medium pace surface.We are talking quick surfaces here.

emcee
06-10-2007, 04:28 PM
You heard it here first.

You're a moron.

And you think you're the FIRST Nadal fanboy to think that he's going to win the US Open? God, I hate when people say "You heard it here first" for incredibly MUNDANE and COMMON thoughts.

We ALL know that we heard it from Nadalgirl26 or whatever first. See that's when you can say "You heard it here first"...when you say something quite outlandish like "Nadal will win 40 slams", because if it actually did happen, I'd be giving her a lot of credit since it's so....outlandish!

edited to say: Sure, Nadal has a shot at the US Open. I'm just hating the fanboy-ness of the comment and the stupid use of YHIHF.

zapvor
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Nadal will win 2008 Australian Open.

lol. no 2009. and 2016. and runner up in 2022