PDA

View Full Version : Golfer Moe Norman passed away.

Camilio Pascual
09-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Nice story on him in USA Today.

Deuce
09-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he died a couple of weeks ago.

I can't say that I knew much about him - but the various reports and eulogies following his death made me wish that I had known much more about him.

He was apparently quite an eccentric character. Was borderline autistic, and had several interesting idiosyncrasies and 'peculiarities'. Sometimes wore up to seven watches on one arm. By all reports, he was as honest and as genuine as it's possible for one to be.

I wish I would have met him.

Cruzer
09-30-2004, 08:04 AM
I remember caddying in a group he was playing in many years ago. He was a tremendous shotmaker and he could hit shots that seemed impossible. I think his slight disability kept him from having a more lucrative pro career. He always did well in smaller events in Canada, i.e. provincial open events but was not able to make the jump to the PGA tour. He was a pretty quiet guy and did not feel comfortable around large groups of people. He could be the best golfer no one ever heard of.

10-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Had an unconventional swing but was widely considered amongst PGA pros to be the straightest & most accurate striker of the ball EVER. Very shy man who basically played & taught golf just enough to make enough money to live modestly. If you've ever seen an infomercial about 'Natural Golf' it's Moe Norman's swing....he made some real $$ only in the last few years thru this deal. Akin to a pool shark or career gambler: floated around & played for money. Only the unknowing bet aginst him.

10-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Had an unconventional swing but was widely considered amongst PGA pros to be the straightest & most accurate striker of the ball EVER. Very shy man who basically played & taught golf just enough to make enough money to live modestly. If you've ever seen an infomercial about 'Natural Golf' it's Moe Norman's swing....he made some real $$ only in the last few years thru this deal. Akin to a pool shark or career gambler: floated around & played for money. Only the unknowing bet aginst him. A Canadian too.