PDA

View Full Version : One Positive Fed Got From Roland Garros.

Mr. Sean
06-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Even though we all know the outcome of the final I must say there are a couple of postives that Fed got from this final. If anyone noticed he busted out some new shots against Nadal specifically his cross court backhand that had a very extreme angle. I have never seen federer hit this shot so many times in one rally. It really was a deadly shot that he should have used more. Fed also learned to not rely on his slice too often and seem to me to have more confidence in his backhand than ever before. I can confidently say that feds backhand is now better than his forehand. Fed must have worked so hard on his backhand that he didn't practice his forehand enough. Feds service speed has greatly increased as well especially towards the end of the match. All of these should translate into an even more dominant player once wimbledon and the us open come along if Fed recovers from his mental beatdown. Ps roddick will play fed in the final or semi of wimbledon depending on the seedings.

LarougeNY
06-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree and disagree.

His use of the backhand slice, although not evident too much today, is masterful. He hits amazing slices, and he should've done it a little more today to avoid those ridiculously high backhands that resulted in errors. Although I do like that he doesn't slice as much anymore.
And that angled crosscourt backhand is SICK, the first time I saw him do that my jaw dropped. And everytime after that too.

I think that his backhand, as improved as it has become, is still not as good as his forehand. Today it definitely was, but regularly his forehand is the best in the game, and much better than his backhand. I'm sure it will pick up by wednesday (or tuesday) in Halle.

Tennis_Monk
06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
In my opinion Federer had the right strategy using that mesmerizing back hand slices and volleys on Clay. His problem was the execution and consistency (or Nadal didnt let him do that).

Federer can gain some positives but i am not so sure if he has gotten any better than last year.

COntrary to some peoples opinion that Federer cant beat Nadal in a Baseline rally, i fully believe that Federer has the game to withstand in a Baseline rally. He mentally wasnt ready to extend each point that long as he gotten so used to winning points so easily.

J-man
06-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Even though we all know the outcome of the final I must say there are a couple of postives that Fed got from this final. If anyone noticed he busted out some new shots against Nadal specifically his cross court backhand that had a very extreme angle. I have never seen federer hit this shot so many times in one rally. It really was a deadly shot that he should have used more. Fed also learned to not rely on his slice too often and seem to me to have more confidence in his backhand than ever before. I can confidently say that feds backhand is now better than his forehand. Fed must have worked so hard on his backhand that he didn't practice his forehand enough. Feds service speed has greatly increased as well especially towards the end of the match. All of these should translate into an even more dominant player once wimbledon and the us open come along if Fed recovers from his mental beatdown. Ps roddick will play fed in the final or semi of wimbledon depending on the seedings.I don't think Federer's backhand is better than his forehand. It won't ever be. Maybe today it was, but on a consistant basis it isn't. His backhand was good today but it against Nadal good isn't god enough. I think he should have used it more. Because those high backhand take alot out of Federer and cause him to make errors. But it's nice to seem him come over that backhand, sometimes. I was little surprised on how he would throw himself at some of his forehands. I can understand that he was tryng to pressure Nadal by being aggresive. But the form and timing was off.