PDA

View Full Version : Nadal is the GOAT on Clay.

latinking
06-11-2007, 06:42 AM
I don't think its any question in my mind. He is even better this year than last. And IMO, he was exhausted and still won the final.

Morrissey
06-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think its any question in my mind. He is even better this year than last. And IMO, he was exhausted and still won the final.

I would be exhausted too if I went to the final of every clay tournament you entered in. 5 tournaments in 8 weeks.

helloworld
06-11-2007, 06:54 AM
He was not exhausted. If anyone is going to be exhausted, it's Federer. He has played a lot more tough matches to get to the final while Nadal just breezed through the draw in straights.

Morrissey
06-11-2007, 06:55 AM
He was not exhausted. If anyone is going to be exhausted, it's Federer. He has played a lot more tough matches to get to the final while Nadal just breezed through the draw in straights.

No kidding. I wish he had straight setted Fed so he could join him and Borg as the only people to win slams without conceding a single set. Damn you Fed! :-)

lambielspins
06-11-2007, 07:01 AM
He is definitely getting closer. He now matches # of French titles of Wilander, Lendl, and Kuerten. However much more dominance in general on clay then those guys, albeit vs weaker competition on clay overall, but you can only play who is across the net. So he probably is already #2 in the pen era behind Borg.

ACE of Hearts
06-11-2007, 07:02 AM
If he gets 6 FO titles or 7, i will agree about GOAT on clay, putting him with Borg.

ksbh
06-11-2007, 07:05 AM
No, he isn't ... at least not yet.

I have to admit though, having won his third French Open title in a row that he is on his way there but he has some ways to go yet. If he wins it again next year, it may be time to concede that he's right up there with Bjorn Borg.

Nadal's only 21 and has the potential to achive much more. We'll see.

drakulie
06-11-2007, 07:19 AM
If he gets 6 FO titles or 7, i will agree about GOAT on clay, putting him with Borg.

I agree he needs to get here to realistically be in the conversation.

However the 81 win streak and 3 FO in a row is something one coudl use as leverage in that argment.

diegaa
06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
no way man, he won "just" 17 tournies on clay, Vilas has 43 for example. Borg has 6 FO, and Rafa "only" 3.
He is in the good track though.

BigBUBBA
06-11-2007, 07:42 AM
No kidding. I wish he had straight setted Fed so he could join him and Borg as the only people to win slams without conceding a single set. Damn you Fed! :-)

There not the only peeps...Nastaste did it, and so did Rosewall or Newk, I forget

latinking
06-11-2007, 07:43 AM

He was exhasted. Did you see his body language.

helloworld
06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
He was exhasted. Did you see his body language.

Just get lost Fed fan. I have nothing against Federer at all, but these Fed worshipers are starting to annoy me.

latinking
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
LOL. So nobody can say anything about Nadal? Even if true? You must be in love with him.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
LOL. So nobody can say anything about Nadal? Even if true? You must be in love with him.
You're an idiot. Predicting Nadal's downfall is something that ****es us Nadal fans off. How old are you anyway?

Eviscerator
06-11-2007, 08:03 AM

GOAT stands for the greatest of ALL TIME, not just who is the best right now. Granted he has had an incredible run but he is not the goat yet. Assuming he remains healthy and motivated he has the potential to be the goat on clay, which is still a great thing to say about him.

latinking
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Damn just my opinon. Nadal fans are Very protective. I see that now.

Eviscerator
06-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Damn just my opinon. Nadal fans are Very protective. I see that now.

If your comment is directed toward my post it is misdirected as I have nothing to be protective of. I have not won the FO nor do I have a horse in the race.

Opinions are fine, but when they are ill informed or overly presumptuous others will naturally interject some reality into the thread. No personal offense is intended however on my part.

latinking
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
If your comment is directed toward my post it is misdirected as I have nothing to be protective of. I have not won the FO nor do I have a horse in the race.

Opinions are fine, but when they are ill informed or overly presumptuous others will naturally interject some reality into the thread. No personal offense is intended however on my part.

No not you. You actually make sense.

rasajadad
06-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I always wonder how far Muster would have gotten if not for getting run over?

latinking
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Could Muster handle Nadal?

tomahawk
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Until he gets 6 in a row, Borg by a longshot. Could Muster handle Nadal, in his prime, it would a close match but I think Nadal would win. Nadal is basically Muster on Steroids. But i'm not implying that Nadal is on any juice.

Fries-N-Gravy
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
regardless of record, which nadal has an undefeated record so far at RG and amazing record on the rest of clay, I doubt anyone from history could stand up to his game. you put peak borg against nadal and nadal would destroy him.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Muster has a 1 hand backhand. I think Nadal could create some errors on that side. I would say Nadal in 4.

ksbh
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Nadal 'destroying' a peak Borg ... thanks for the laugh, needed that! Not even a Federer loverboy can beat that!

regardless of record, which nadal has an undefeated record so far at RG and amazing record on the rest of clay, I doubt anyone from history could stand up to his game. you put peak borg against nadal and nadal would destroy him.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the laugh, needed that! Not even a Federer loverboy can beat that!
Nadal is way more powerful than Borg. Not just because of the racquet but Nadal was way stronger.

haerdalis
06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
There is no doubt Nadal would beat Muster and totally destroy Borg. Karlovic would probably beat Laver but that doesnt make him GOAT.
Nadals record is impressive so far but he is not GOAT. Perhaps he is GOAT for his age, that is debateable and perhaps he will be GOAT when he retires. We'll have to wait and see.

ACE of Hearts
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Borg played on slower clay and had tremendous stamina, to say that Nadal would clobber Borg is ridiculous.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Borg played on slower clay and had tremendous stamina, to say that Nadal would clobber Borg is ridiculous.
With the power of the players today Borg will definitely find it difficult to only play defense. No one back in the day could take it to Borg but I feel both Nadal and Federer can take it to him.

ACE of Hearts
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Whose to say that if u gave Borg one of the racquets today, he wouldnt hit with power?The guy is a legend.

TheNatural
06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Nadal clay GOAT between the lines, but not GOAT achievements.

caulcano
06-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Aye.

(10 chars).

tlm
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Nadal is the most dominating force of all time on the clay courts period!!!!

r2473
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
no way man, he won "just" 17 tournies on clay, Vilas has 43 for example. Borg has 6 FO, and Rafa "only" 3.
He is in the good track though.

He's right.