PDA

View Full Version : Fed's bread-&-butter shots failed him big time!

rocket
06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
When you face such a formidable opponent by the name of Nadal on clay, you've got to come out firing on all cylinders. This unfortunately wasn't the case for Fed, his strokes were misfiring big time. His timing was off, his strong & reliable serve deserted him, his volleys undecisive, and his deadly forehand was alarmingly shaky. The last point of the match said it all.

Nadal on the other hand was as solid as ever. One had to produce an exceptional shot to earn a point against him, but of course, such high level was hard to sustain throughout the match.

It seems something is bothering Fed deep inside, ever since his early exit at Indian Wells. I think it's a mental issue; he's not at one with the ball & doesn't exude the self-confidence that we're accustomed to. The lean-&-mean Fed that we saw at the AO is no longer there. Could it be that his relationship with Mirka is falling apart?

sureshs
06-11-2007, 09:16 AM
His reliance on perfect timing and the unforgiving racquet are the problems. As he gets older, he will have many more off-days. He needs to focus more on consistency and rely less on brilliance.

Kevo
06-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I think it was just nerves. He's got the game to win, but when you can't hit a first serve in, that's just nerves. There is no other excuse. When you add in the fact that the forehand went south as well, it's pretty easy to see why he couldn't quite get the job done. You just can't give away service games to Nadal. I think Fed will eventually get a win at the FO if he can manage to keep his focus and manage to rid himself of the nagging doubt. He also needs to work on some some more variety against Nadal. It seems he's unwilling to diversify.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
guys....it's none of the above.

FEDERER NEEDS TO START SLICING AGAIN...

dommod
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe drop shot too??

I also desired to see more inside out forehands hit to Nadal forehand. I think this is effective against the Spaniard. Of course, Fed forehand so shaky yesterday, this might have failed too!

TheNatural
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
He cant just rely on guys to choke away set points , get erratic or tire themselves out after a few rallys Like Gonzo did in their AO final. The opposition was just tougher than he was used to and also made life a lot more difficult than he's used to and he acknowledged that in his post match interview.

When you face such a formidable opponent by the name of Nadal on clay, you've got to come out firing on all cylinders. This unfortunately wasn't the case for Fed, his strokes were misfiring big time. His timing was off, his strong & reliable serve deserted him, his volleys undecisive, and his deadly forehand was alarmingly shaky. The last point of the match said it all.

Nadal on the other hand was as solid as ever. One had to produce an exceptional shot to earn a point against him, but of course, such high level was hard to sustain throughout the match.

It seems something is bothering Fed deep inside, ever since his early exit at Indian Wells. I think it's a mental issue; he's not at one with the ball & doesn't exude the self-confidence that we're accustomed to. The lean-&-mean Fed that we saw at the AO is no longer there. Could it be that his relationship with Mirka is falling apart?

rocket
06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
He cant just rely on guys to choke away set points , get erratic or tire themselves out after a few rallys Like Gonzo did in their AO final. The opposition was just tougher than he was used to and also made life a lot more difficult than he's used to and he acknowledged that in his post match interview.

Davydenko also choked in the semis when he was 40-0 up, serving to seal the 3rd set. Fed didn't play too well then, but he played even worse in the final. One felt that he wasn't at all comfortable out there, sending balls long or into the net. He got broken left & right & didn't seems too eager to break back either. Perhaps he knew he just couldn't beat Nadal that day with his erratic forehand.

rocket
06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe drop shot too??

I also desired to see more inside out forehands hit to Nadal forehand. I think this is effective against the Spaniard. Of course, Fed forehand so shaky yesterday, this might have failed too!

He tried a couple of drop shots but got passed like no-other. Nadal is just too fast. He [Fed] completely lacked confidence out there.

CyBorg
06-12-2007, 02:53 PM
guys....it's none of the above.

FEDERER NEEDS TO START SLICING AGAIN...

OMG, no. He sliced his way to a defeat at last year's RG.