PDA

View Full Version : FYI Galain re: PAT CASH

Colpo
03-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Galain, hope I can help.

My earliest racket info re: Cash dates back to circa '81 or '82. Then, he played an Australian standard monoshaft wood. Sorry, don't know the brand. Had a nifty, hi-gloss bright red top to the racket head. He was the world junior #1 with this frame.

He next hit the racket scene in '84, when he semi'ed at both Wimby and the US Open. Played then with one of the nicest woods ever, the Slazenger V-24. This was the Vilas midsize, wood with graphite reinforcement.

Photos the next year show Pat playing a unique model, a Prince Woodie midsize. This was defintitely not a paintjob, but a custom frame never available to the public.

Next, Pat won Wimby in '87 with a Prince Mag Pro 90. Unclear to me how long he'd been playing with this frame prior to that summer.

Consistent with his past practice, Pat following a very successful year switched racket deals, moving to Yonex in a well-hyped transfer. Yonex introduced their R-50, Pat's first graphite composite frame, spring '88. Unfortunately, injury continued to slow Pat's progress at the top of the game.

My info on Pat tails off after this. I recall him playing with a Head Prestige Classic for an extended period during a successful run on the seniors' tour.

galain
03-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks Colpo!

I posted because he seems to have gone through a few different manufacturers during his career and I thought it would make for an interesting read.

The old woodie he started with was a Stellar frame - very common down here in the early 80's. I guess living in Oz we probably got more exposure to Cash than the rest of the world (not that we necessarily wanted it). I clearly remember seeing him hitting with a Fischer monoshaft (the old Superform?) before moving to Yonex - don't recall him playing matches with it though.

Rumour has it that the secret Prince mid was actually a painted Golden Ace! HE was even a spokesperson for Mega Age at one time but I don't know if he ever used the product.

Just some ramblings - thanks again for your post!

lemons
03-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Colpo, didn't Cash switch to a Yonex RQ-180 after that R-50? I swear I remember seeing him use the grey version around '89-'90.

david aames
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Seen him hitting with a Volkl on TV recentely.

Colpo
03-16-2004, 06:45 AM
lemons, you may be right. I don't know, though. He really fell off my radar after the '88 season, probably due to injury and just not being around the game's echelons (TV, magazines, etc.).

Rabbit
03-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Cash was with MegaAge for a period. He was on their website. He left there and went to Volkl. His current model is the Volkl Tour 10 MP.

tom horan
03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
actually C-10 Pro OS, tarted up to look like Tour 10

Deuce
03-22-2004, 10:40 PM
He was using the wonderful Prince Magnesium 90 the year he won Wimbledon (1987).