PDA

View Full Version : Going to the US Open!! Wahoo!!

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
What advice do any of you have? This will be my first visit. It's a Championship Plan, so mostly day sessions, one night and the final I think.

dubsplayer
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
What do you want to know? Being a bit more specific would help.

pj80
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
i would advise you not to pay for tickets...sneak in somehow like i did. and if you have a day ticket, stick around for night session...because you might be able to watch it for free. I think after the first set is over, security guards dont check tickets anymore. I was able to watch a lot of classic tennis night matches for free that way

forzainter
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
What advice do any of you have? This will be my first visit. It's a Championship Plan, so mostly day sessions, one night and the final I think.

you got tickets for the final? if its mens then you are a lucky man, if its womens, then i feel sorry for you:p

Jack the Hack
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I went to the US Open for the first time last year... we had a great time and saw some awesome tennis. I can share some tips if you want to know something specific... or you can search the past posts in the Travel section (which is where I got a lot of useful info for my trip).

Have fun and enjoy!

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-11-2007, 01:21 PM
It's seven sessions, including a final at 12pm sunday. Is this the women's final? What I would like to know is do's and don'ts of getting around the grounds and what I can/can't take in.

pj80, I will try that. ;)

theballboy
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I lived in NYC all my life, and have never been to the Open. Lucky *******.

Forehand Forever
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
US Open is awesome. The matches inside Arthur Ashe are great. But the other arenas you can get in for free. Check around the practice courts too because you'll see a ton of pros go out and hit. I've seen Federer, Nadal, Blake, Murray, Gonzo, Agassi and other top players except for my favorite, Roddick. Maybe this year I'll see him.

35ft6
06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
The food court is very mediocre yet incredibly pricey. Right outside the grounds is a hot dog vendor, it's better than the poop they serve on the grounds. Or take a 4 minute train ride to Flushing, get some Asian food, and come back.

Consider bringing a small seat cushion. The bleachers are hard and metal, so they become very hot.

Get a bucket hat with wide brims, the NYC sun in August and September is brutal.

No backpacks, I believe. Last year I was allowed to bring my messenger style bag inside.

Make sure to catch Santoro.

tennishead93
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I lived in NYC all my life, and have never been to the Open. Lucky *******.

that sucks

idj49
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
i would advise you not to pay for tickets...sneak in somehow like i did. and if you have a day ticket, stick around for night session...because you might be able to watch it for free. I think after the first set is over, security guards dont check tickets anymore. I was able to watch a lot of classic tennis night matches for free that way

How did you get on the grounds without a ticket? They check them at every entrance.

LarougeNY
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
with the day pass, you can go into louis armstrong, and sometimes, you can go up and sit in the box seats. They close them off with some kind of rope (you know the small kind) and open them up on changeovers, so when the seats aren't full you can go down and sit in them (like me and my dad did once) but I don't think its allowed.

Also the only good food there are the crepes, they're not that good, but much better than the sandwiches and hot dogs. DON'T buy from the big wilson store, everything is overpriced, and just a fact-that Jumbo ball costs 40$ or more.

If you're going on the first day, bring lots of balls and markers-its SOO easy to get an autograph from the pros. I remember being 0 for 8 in autograph opportunities, most notably from Jan Henrych (no idea why I was watching his match) when we were the only people behind him, and asked for an autograph but the pen died. And check out the practice courts too, only chance for you to get fed, nadal, mauresmo, henin etc. signatures unless you have courtside seats at Arthur Ashe.

I'm going to the day sessions too, I think on the 28th and the 3rd.
Have fun.

Fee
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
1. Wear the most comfortable shoes that you have.
2. Put sunscreen on BEFORE you get dressed in the morning. You will need one ounce to cover your entire body. Take the bottle with you so that you can go sit in the shade and reapply as necessary. Do not forget your neck and your ears. And good lip balm too.
3. Take a hat (wide brim as stated above is a good idea)
4. You can take a bag or fanny pack, as long as it is in front of your body (so no backpacks, but tote bags, cross body bags, and messengers are okay).
5. Take a sweatshirt. If you stay for late matches on the outside courts, it can get very cool when the sun goes down.
6. Be prepared for the humidity.
7. Take a Sharpie (or two, or heck four, in four different colors) if you want to get autographs.
8. Resist the temptation to get a giant tennis ball. You will hate carrying it around and one week after the event you won't recognize any signatures anyway. If you want autographs, print photos from Yahoo or whatever and put them in a plastic sleeve (I saw someone do this and it seemed like a good idea). Use the souvenir program for everyone else (yes, spend the money on it. you will wish that you had).
9. I believe that you can take food in, and one plastic bottle of a beverage (water or soda, not Jack Daniels). Double check the website before you go in case they change that rule again.
10. Make sure your camera batteries are charged, and your cell phone.

Have a great time. :)

Supernatural_Serve
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
You are in for a great experience.

Some recommendations:

I wouldn't buy an Arthur Ashe ticket unless you get very good seats. Its a huge stadium. The upper level seats are so high that the players look like fleas on a postage stamp. The good seats are expensive. The very top seeds play there. I can't be bothered with it.

Enjoy great tennis in the Grandstand and Louis Armstrong stadium and the outer courts. Not a bad seat anywhere. A grounds pass gets you everywhere except Arthur Ashe and a handful of reserved seats in the other stadiums. Check out the matches on the outer courts where you can easily stand along the fence (15 feet or so from the doubles alley) or some have a few seats. Its like being on the court.

Take time to go to the practice courts and watch your favorite players practicing.

Take time to watch some top doubles teams on the outer courts. The game is so incredibly fast when you are standing next to the court.

There's hot babes to check out everywhere. So, wonder around a bit. The food is good, not great, if a little expensive. But, it works. You aren't there for the food.

Its a great experience, except sitting in the upper decks of Arthur Ashe stadium.

I prefer week 1 when a lot of players aren't eliminated yet and there are tons of players (ranked 8-20) on the outer courts. Week 2 (the draw has thinned) so there's less action on the outer courts.

Also, the week before it starts is intense. Qualifiers. Lots of hungry players. The intensity is high and not many people. A lot of people overlook the week before, but its a good experience in its own right.

Bring a hat, some sun glasses, and sun screen. Hope you aren't there if it rains/pours. Its a pain in the a**, and the rules concerning refunds are generally not in the spectators favor but, then you can spend the day in Manhattan.

I show up with nothing in my hand so that I can walk right in. Security is tight, so bringing bags, etc. means you get to stand in a line and get searched (could be 5-10 minutes, but when they first open it can be 30 minutes, but they are getting better at moving people through the past 2 years). I'm heading right for the Grandstand/Louis Armstrong the moment I get there.

Print out the day's schedule or buy one when you get there so you can easily plan your day a little. Although wondering around you can suddenly turn a corner and its "your favorite non top 10 player in a 2nd round match with 100 people watching"

Its just one little gem after another...

LarougeNY
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Supernatural,

Do you have to pay to enter the national tennis center in the week before the USO starts? If so, how much?

Always wanted to go before the tournament starts, but I don't want to show up and not be allowed in or have it closed to the public.

Supernatural_Serve
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Supernatural,

Do you have to pay to enter the national tennis center in the week before the USO starts? If so, how much?

Always wanted to go before the tournament starts, but I don't want to show up and not be allowed in or have it closed to the public.Its open to everyone. Not many people attend. Its like walking up to a public tennis court.

Kids day (Sat.) is when you need a ticket.

WhiteSox05CA
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I got a giant tennis ball, but I asked for a deflated one- mainly so it would be easier to take home on the plane. It's cool just to walk around all the stands and side courts. I know that the qualifying tournament is free.

I can't wait 'til labor day weekend!

LarougeNY
06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Its open to everyone. Not many people attend. Its like walking up to a public tennis court.

Man, that sounds too good to be true. I hope I can catch some qualies and practice matches, as long as I get back from vacation before the 24th.
Thanks

NebAce1
06-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Yea I've doen the same thing a couple of times too. ;)

NebAce1
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Its open to everyone. Not many people attend. Its like walking up to a public tennis court.

Yea the qualies are awesome, you get great seats for every match and you get in for free. I've gone about 5 times I think, and loved them all.

LarougeNY
06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Yea the qualies are awesome, you get great seats for every match and you get in for free. I've gone about 5 times I think, and loved them all.

Does that include courtside seats at Ashe to watch fed or nadal practice, and courtside seats at Louis Armstrong as well?

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the info! The tickets we have are at Arthur Ashe (upper promenade), so I guess we will be watching fleas on a postage stamp. BUT, we will be there nonetheless and able to check out practices, etc which I'm excited about. Hopefully we can wonder into the other stadiums or seats when the crowds are low.

I want to take a camera and 8mm recorder. Is this allowed? I'm not that concerned about autographs. I just want to see all I can at court level since this will be my first visit to a professional match. If 5.0's amaze me, I'm sure I'll be blown away. :-)

Fee
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Forget about Ashe, spend as much time as you can on the outer courts. Better to be right next to the players ranked 8 and above, than a mile and a half above the top 5 seeds.

CivicLx
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
what week are you going? if you have seats way up in ashe, assume they didn't cost a fortune and don't feel bad about leaving your seats to go walk around the outside courst. having expensive seats up close at ashe would be nice but you'd also be missing a lot of action going on at the outside courts.

someone mentioned something about backpacks, i don't think you can bring any bags that have more than 1 compartment.

you can bring outside food into the grounds so that can save some money.

cameras are also allowed

we went in 05 starting the first tuesday night session when roddick went out first round. wed thru fri we saw day and night sessions and i could not believe but 12 hours of tennis was a blast. i thought i would get bored and the sun would drive me crazy but it was a great time and i think the best thing about it was watching them practice and seeing them play on the outside courts.

kind of neat, one of the first matches we saw was on an outside court, gonzalez and wesley moodie. i'm standing on some small metal bleachers, watching the match and looking around. well in between sets i was scanning the crowd and when i looked down moodie was walking right by me. guess he was taking a bathroom break

anyway, i bet you'll have a blast. where are you from BTW?

zapvor
06-12-2007, 01:42 AM
The food court is very mediocre yet incredibly pricey. Right outside the grounds is a hot dog vendor, it's better than the poop they serve on the grounds. Or take a 4 minute train ride to Flushing, get some Asian food, and come back.

Consider bringing a small seat cushion. The bleachers are hard and metal, so they become very hot.

Get a bucket hat with wide brims, the NYC sun in August and September is brutal.

No backpacks, I believe. Last year I was allowed to bring my messenger style bag inside.

Make sure to catch Santoro.

good advice. now only if i can get there....

zapvor
06-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the info! The tickets we have are at Arthur Ashe (upper promenade), so I guess we will be watching fleas on a postage stamp. BUT, we will be there nonetheless and able to check out practices, etc which I'm excited about. Hopefully we can wonder into the other stadiums or seats when the crowds are low.

I want to take a camera and 8mm recorder. Is this allowed? I'm not that concerned about autographs. I just want to see all I can at court level since this will be my first visit to a professional match. If 5.0's amaze me, I'm sure I'll be blown away. :-)

yea it will be really cool just to be there. when i went to my first pro tournment and saw Hewitt and Henman play a set for fun it completely blew me away. I was less than 10 feet away from Hewitt watching him hit. absolute fun

idj49
06-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Does that include courtside seats at Ashe to watch fed or nadal practice, and courtside seats at Louis Armstrong as well?

You can't get into Ashe stadium during qualie week, no one practices there then either. You will find Fed and Nadal practicing on either Armstrong or the Grand Stand. I know that there is talk about opening the stadium for some qualie matches because of hawk eye but I don't think they've made a decision yet.

Also whoever said you need a ticket for Kid's Day is wrong. You only need a ticket to see the stadium show that will be broadcast on CBS the next day. Everything else is free and open to the public.

dubsplayer
06-12-2007, 04:59 AM
As the others have said don't even bother with your seats in Ashe. I've been going for years - well before it was even built - and I haven't sat in my seats once since Pat Rafter's last match in 2001 - and even then I bribed an usher for a better seat. It's the worst stadium in the world even if you are sitting in a luxury box.

Day matches can go well into the evening and you can stay w/o evening session ticket so do not bother to buy a separate ticket.

winks
06-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Question about courtside tix....

A few years ago I went and spent the extra money to get courtside seats in Armstrong. Last year I waited till about 1 week before the Open started and there was none availab.e

I just checked Ticketmaster and searched to courtside tickets in Armstrong and nothing is showing up! How the hell can that be? Didn't these tickets just become available yesterday?

Is it even possible for a regular to get these tickets? Anyone know what's going on?

Gugafan_Redux
06-12-2007, 07:48 AM

My advice, take the money for plane tickets or gas, tickets, lodging, food, and buy a big screen TV, subscribe to cable and DVR, get some popcorn and enjoy watching from home. Tennis is a game of inches, subtle spins, speed and angle, and watching from the upper deck is lame and uninteresting. Add to this fighting for prime seats in the outer courts, waiting in LONG lines for overpriced Heinekin and burgers, the unpredictable schedules, rain delays, not to mention unpredictable performances from players, and you have a recipe for an anticlimactic, even dissapointing experience.

Yeah, I'm still bitter about having tickets to Agassi's last match ever and getting f***d.

dubsplayer
06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Question about courtside tix....

A few years ago I went and spent the extra money to get courtside seats in Armstrong. Last year I waited till about 1 week before the Open started and there was none availab.e

I just checked Ticketmaster and searched to courtside tickets in Armstrong and nothing is showing up! How the hell can that be? Didn't these tickets just become available yesterday?

Is it even possible for a regular to get these tickets? Anyone know what's going on?

I think to get the courtside seats in Louie you have to buy all ten days (at least that is what is has been since they started selling reserved seats there) and it's possible that once you have bought a box you get first dibs like you do in Ashe if you have a box or series, so possible everyone renewed.

Banger
06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
You will have a great time and the atmosphere is great. I myself have been there the last 4 out of 5 years. The Day sessions in the early rounds are awesome. You get to see the top players on the outer courts and you can get very close to them, it is a great experience.

winks
06-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I think to get the courtside seats in Louie you have to buy all ten days (at least that is what is has been since they started selling reserved seats there) and it's possible that once you have bought a box you get first dibs like you do in Ashe if you have a box or series, so possible everyone renewed.

So I guess it's likely I probably just "lucked out" when I got those seats a few years back?

If there aren't any courtside seats available to the general public they should not show them as an option. It would save me (and others?) a lot of frustration. It's a PITA to have me waste time searching for them when they have never really been available!

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
where are you from BTW?

I'm from Huntsville, AL, engineering mecca of the south. The heat shouldn't be too much of a problem... 90+ today w/ 50% humidity. ;)

Gugafan_Redux, what happened with your tickets?

CivicLx
06-12-2007, 09:25 AM
you'll definitely be used to the humidity then. the only humid day we had was the tuesday we arrived and I was pretty surprised because I thought humidity was a southern thing:D have you already gotten your airline tickets? where will you be staying?

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Humidity/heat are ok, but 6 days in the sun will take some preparation. Yes, we have the flight scheduled. I'm waiting for a friend to book the hotel ...a woman with great taste!

dubsplayer
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
"So I guess it's likely I probably just "lucked out" when I got those seats a few years back?"

Quite possible as they've only been selling reserved in Louie for at most three years and the first year a lot of people didn't even know about them. Also, don't USTA members get to purchase seats before everybody else? Maybe the boxes all got bought then.

I got my tickets for USO last week so don't quite know if this is the first week tkts have been on sale, either. I didn't personally buy them though.

dubsplayer
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm from Huntsville, AL, engineering mecca of the south. The heat shouldn't be too much of a problem... 90+ today w/ 50% humidity. ;)

Gugafan_Redux, what happened with your tickets?

It can also be cold at night and windy.

Jack the Hack
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, rather than rehash what others have already posted here, I went back and found the thread I posted last year after my trip to the Open:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95426&highlight=Hack%27s

Within my posts in that thread, I have some general impressions from the event, some simple advice, and several pictures from the matches I saw. Take a peak if you have a few moments. I've only been there once, so I'm not exactly a US Open expert like some of the other folks here... but I do have a bit to share from my trip.

NebAce1
06-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Yea, only Armstrong though, no one practices in Ashe during the qualies. You can go into either Armstrong or the Grandstand to watch the pros practice. Last year I saw Nadal practice it was awesome, and I somewhat had a conversation with Uncle Toni.

LarougeNY
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Yea, only Armstrong though, no one practices in Ashe during the qualies. You can go into either Armstrong or the Grandstand to watch the pros practice. Last year I saw Nadal practice it was awesome, and I somewhat had a conversation with Uncle Toni.

Nice. I'm gonna try and convince my parents schedule our vacation so we come back before the 20th, I really want to go to the Open before it starts at least once, while i have the chance now.

NebAce1
06-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Nice. I'm gonna try and convince my parents schedule our vacation so we come back before the 20th, I really want to go to the Open before it starts at least once, while i have the chance now.

Yea you should it's really fun.

JZImmer123
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Forget about Ashe, spend as much time as you can on the outer courts. Better to be right next to the players ranked 8 and above, than a mile and a half above the top 5 seeds.

I agree with ya on that one! I was there last year for the first time and got to see all the great tennis on the outer courts, especially the womens doubles! WOOT! You can get so close to the court it feels like your on it!

NebAce1
06-13-2007, 05:17 AM
I agree with ya on that one! I was there last year for the first time and got to see all the great tennis on the outer courts, especially the womens doubles! WOOT! You can get so close to the court it feels like your on it!

Yea especially in the earlier rounds. Becuase in Ashe all you would get to see is Rafa or Fed killing someone rather than watching two even ranked great players having a great match on an outer court.

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-14-2007, 08:12 AM
We are looking for a hotel to stay in. One my friends wants to stay in/near Times Square. Is it worth it? What are the prices like? Where else should we look? Closer to the stadium or airport? Will traffic be nasty if we're not close to the tennis center?

THANKS!

rommil
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Stay in the city that way if you decide to go out and get drunk it will be closer. The 7 train gets you to the USTA tennis center so there is no need really to stay close to the center, unless you really get a better price. It is the summer time so I suspect prices will be higher for the hotels that they usually are.

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Oops...

What are some good places to stay near Times Square?

Jack the Hack
06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
We are looking for a hotel to stay in. One my friends wants to stay in/near Times Square. Is it worth it? What are the prices like? Where else should we look? Closer to the stadium or airport? Will traffic be nasty if we're not close to the tennis center?

THANKS!

We stayed at the Hilton at Times Square on our trip last year. There is a subway station within a block of there, and you can take the #7 train to Flushing Meadows to get to the Open. In my opinion, the subway is the best way to get to the tournament from Manhattan... it's cheap, safe, and the trip only takes about 20-30 minutes.

The Hilton in Times Square was nice and modern (I think it's a relatively new hotel for that matter), but I can't tell you much about the pricing. I had a couple hundred thousand Hilton Rewards points to redeem, so our stay there was free. I think the normal rate is somewhere between $250 and $500 per night, and I think that might be the price range you are looking at for midtown Manhattan (Broadway, Times Square, and lower Central Park area) for a 4+ star hotel. I know that there are cheaper places to stay, but it depends on how much you want to "rough it".

Times Square is touristy... but if you haven't been to NYC before, you are a tourist (nothing wrong with that). It's centrally located, and aside from it's own landmark sights, it's an easy walk from there to the Broadway shows, restaurants, MSG, Central Park, 5th Ave, and Grand Central station. The biggest drawback is that it's so freakin' expensive... but that describes Manhattan in general.

dubsplayer
06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Check out this. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-339449-murray_hill_east_hotel-i

It's between 33rd & 34th and Lex & Park. Only 10 blocks from Times Sq and 6 from Grand Central. Also, as it was once apartments so you get a suite with a bedroom and a livingroom with sofa bed and a small kitchen. And it's only about $215 a night. It's not lux but more then decent and clean. Friends of mine stayed there on a weekend visit to NYC last winter and I met them so saw for myself. I'm even thinking of it for the weekend my hubby runs the NYC marathon since we live a couple hours away and he needs to be in the city very early.

TheTruth
06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Wow! That sounds so exciting. I wish I could go!

NebAce1
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Yea last year I took the 7 train and it was packed. There was hardly enough room to breath. But it's probably worth it to stay in Manhattan. Luckily I live in New York.

Jack the Hack
06-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Yea last year I took the 7 train and it was packed. There was hardly enough room to breath. But it's probably worth it to stay in Manhattan. Luckily I live in New York.

That reminds me of a business trip I had in Japan a few years ago. I got stuck (literally) on a subway train during rush hour in Tokyo. There were so many people smashed into the train that you were squished body to body. Fortunately for me, the two people mashed into me on the front and back were very attractive women. The woman in front of me was facing me and her body was so close, we were practically making love. Every rattle and vibration of the train on the tracks made for a VERY awkward situation. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure she was carrying my baby by the end of the trip...

but I'm digressing...

My trips on the #7 train last year were fairly comfortable. There were a couple times where it was standing room only, but nothing like my experience in Japan. The reason I was touting the subway is that driving or taking a taxi from Manhattan will take twice as much time (because of the traffic) and cost a lot more (due to the taxi fare or parking fees). There might be better ways to get to the tennis center from other locations in NYC, but it's hard to beat #7 from Times Square.

Gugafan_Redux
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Gugafan_Redux[/B], what happened with your tickets?

Sorry for the delay. Here's the orig thread.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95899

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here's the orig thread.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=95899

Wow, that was tough. I'm going b/c a couple of friends were already going and are giving me a free place to stay. Normally I research the hell out of any major event like this, but all I'm paying for is the plane and Open tickets. I couldn't turn it down.

I can't imagine the whole experience can suck too bad if I get to hang out w/ my friends in NYC, see the world's best tennis players, and miss a a week of work. That's pretty cool no matter how you look at it. :)