PDA

View Full Version : Canas and Nadal: Anything in Common?

Cindysphinx
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I saw the two FO finals and the semi-finals between Fed and Nadal. I did not see either of Canas' wins on hard courts.

Are Canas and Nadal using different tactics against Fed? Or have the both used the same strategy?

And if they can do it, how come others cannot? Canas doesn't exactly have a trophy case of slam tropies to his name . . . .

veritech
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
i haven't seen the canas matches either, but what i've heard from people is that they're both very consistent in their rallies against fed.

VGP
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Canas plays a game more like Nalbandian than Nadal.

All three, Nadal, Nalbandian, and Canas are great fighters.

Canas' is better on faster (perhaps medium) surfaces than on clay. He uses his wheels to track down every ball and use Federer's pace against him. This forces Federer to go for too much and make more errors and if it gets close, he (like Nalbandian) can come up with the win.

edberg505
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Canas plays a game more like Nalbandian than Nadal.

All three, Nadal, Nalbandian, and Canas are great fighters.

Canas' is better on faster (perhaps medium) surfaces than on clay. He uses his wheels to track down every ball and use Federer's pace against him. This forces Federer to go for too much and make more errors and if it gets close, he (like Nalbandian) can come up with the win.

No way is Caņas like Nalbandian. Nalbandian hits winners and when he is on with this backhand it is a thing of beauty. Nalbandian was cleaning Federer's clock at the french last year and it wasn't because he was just getting everything back. He was hitting winners. But then he get's hurt and Federer cruises and wins due to retirement. Heck to tell you the truth I was sorta pulling for a Nalbandian vs. Nadal final last year. Caņas is more like an gnat that won't go away that just gets everything back and will hit an ocassional winner. The kind of tennis I can't stand. Was glad to see Davydenko serve up a win against him.

prince
06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
grinders , will let you hit a lot of balls til you make an error and both are capable too of hitting good shots in an awkward scenario.

David L
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I saw the two FO finals and the semi-finals between Fed and Nadal. I did not see either of Canas' wins on hard courts.

Are Canas and Nadal using different tactics against Fed? Or have the both used the same strategy?

And if they can do it, how come others cannot? Canas doesn't exactly have a trophy case of slam tropies to his name . . . .No, Nadal and Canas play slightly differently. Nadal has more fire power, but both are consistent. Federer is Federer, so to beat him you usually have to play very well. That's the main strategy you need. There's no easy formula that everyone can use. Canas barely won the second time, Federer was serving for the set and let it slip, so it's still very tough to beat him.

Nadal_Freak
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Consistency is the key to beating Federer. That is what Nadal, Nalbandian, and Canas all have in common.

TheTruth
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Consistency is the key to beating Federer. That is what Nadal, Nalbandian, and Canas all have in common.

And the absence of fear. Nadal, Nalbandian, and Canas consider themselves worthy opponents!

tennis_hand
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
i.e. having as least number of UEs as possible. and don't care about winners.
Your opponent will fail because of his own UEs.

and on clay, this effect is magnified. so suddenly these grinders become giants on clay while on hard or grass they are not worth an opponent.

Zaragoza
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
i.e. having as least number of UEs as possible. and don't care about winners.
Your opponent will fail because of his own UEs.

and on clay, this effect is magnified. so suddenly these grinders become giants on clay while on hard or grass they are not worth an opponent.

It seems Cañas and Nadal are not easy opponents on hardcourts. I guess you can remember their matches against Federer on hardcourts, the 3 MS won by Nadal and his performance in Wimbledon last year. Both are great/good players on every surface.
They are also different type of players, just because they have beaten Federer it doesn´t mean they play the same. Nadal looks for winners much more than Cañas and he is a lefty so it´s really different for Federer to play one or other.

Morrissey
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
They both have strong hairlines. Nadal does everything Canas does but better. Better forehand, backhand, speed, court sense. I say they´re even on serve because Nadal mixes it up well and is lefty and on mental strength.

OrangeOne
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm impressed. I expected there to be some highly inappropriate replies in this thread, and there very much haven't. Hoorah for the boards....

tennis_hand
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
It seems Caņas and Nadal are not easy opponents on hardcourts. I guess you can remember their matches against Federer on hardcourts, the 3 MS won by Nadal and his performance in Wimbledon last year. Both are great/good players on every surface.
They are also different type of players, just because they have beaten Federer it doesnīt mean they play the same. Nadal looks for winners much more than Caņas and he is a lefty so itīs really different for Federer to play one or other.

on some slow hardcourts in the early part of the year, you mean?

TheNatural
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
main thing thay have in common is they dont have a big weakness of either side and they move reasonably well and are pretty fit and they're not erratic players, in other words, they compete well and give themselves a good chance to win. Also theyre not too short, so they dont immediately give Fed a huge advantage on serve.

Zaragoza
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
on some slow hardcourts in the early part of the year, you mean?

No, I meant Madrid and Montreal as well, besides the "slow" hardcourts where Federer used to win last year.

mileslong
06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
both play ugly games and use mental toughness and tons of running to win...

VamosRafa
06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
They both speak Spanish.

TheNatural
06-12-2007, 04:30 AM
One more thing they have in common. They both made Federer cry.

Andres
06-12-2007, 04:32 AM
They're both very very tan?