PDA

View Full Version : Could Federer's loss at the French Open affect his performance at Wimbledon?

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Obviously, Federer must be devastated and very mentally distraught over his loss for the second year in a row in the French Open final and the third time to Nadal in as many years. Especially, since he's been so mentally focused and worked so hard since the beginning of the year to win this one tournament, but ultimately failed.

So I was wondering if you guys think he could get over this devastating loss in time to affect his performace at Wimbledon in just two short weeks? Could he lose focus in the early rounds because he's still thinking about this huge loss and his missed opportunity to win the French? Especially, now that he has pulled out of Halle so he won't get much match play on grass under his belt before Wimbledon starts?

Anyway, I personally think he may not do as well at Wimbledon this year due to the lingering effects of his loss at the French. What do you guys think?

thejuice
06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Good question BP!!! I actually think he is most comfortable at Wimbledon and will soon forget his failure on the clay as soon as he smells the Wimbledon grass and the famous strawberries and cream. Expect Feds to win another gold trophy.

AAAA
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6740397.stm

'Thigh trouble and general fatigue were cited as reasons for his decision to take a short break.'

a possbile injury or fitness may be a bigger problem than anything else.

mJeez4293
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
it might... but it sure didnt last year

dpfrazier
06-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Obviously, Federer must be devastated and very mentally distraught over his loss for the second year in a row in the French Open final and the third time to Nadal in as many years. Especially, since he's been so mentally focused and worked so hard since the beginning of the year to win this one tournament, but ultimately failed.

So I was wondering if you guys think he could get over this devastating loss in time to affect his performace at Wimbledon in just two short weeks? Could he lose focus in the early rounds because he's still thinking about this huge loss and his missed opportunity to win the French? Especially, now that he has pulled out of Halle so he won't get much match play on grass under his belt before Wimbledon starts?

Anyway, I personally think he may not do as well at Wimbledon this year due to the lingering effects of his loss at the French. What do you guys think?
I think Fed will bounce right back and be just fine. And he'd better --- 127 other guys lost at Roland Garros as well, and we can't have our GOATs exhibit such a fragile psyche, can we?

In fact, I'm surprised he didn't jet to Wimbledon last night, break into centre court, and roll around on the turf a bit to rub off any remaining terre battue... :grin:

drakulie
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I personally don't think the French loss will have an impact on his chances at Wimbledon.

However, I do feel the tide has been turning a bit this year. Both Fed and Nadal have had chinks put in their armor. But who will step up at Wimbldeon is anyone's guess.

It would definitely not surprise me to see nadal in the final again.

BounceHitBounceHit
06-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I personally don't think the French loss will have an impact on his chances at Wimbledon.

However, I do feel the tide has been turning a bit this year. Both Fed and Nadal have had chinks put in their armor. But who will step up at Wimbldeon is anyone's guess.

It would definitely not surprise me to see nadal in the final again.

Nor I. ;)

But I would be truly suprised if he were to defeat Fed in the final.

CC

r2473
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I think he will be devestated enough to drop a set sometime during the fortnight.;)

caulcano
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I think he will be devestated enough to drop a set sometime during the fortnight.;)

I don't think Federer would mind as long as he wins the Wimbldeon title.

David L
06-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Anyway, I personally think he may not do as well at Wimbledon this year due to the lingering effects of his loss at the French. What do you guys think?People on this board are very strange. Why would he be affected by his French loss? That's in the past now, nothing he can do about it. Federer's an experienced pro, he's not going to be affected by something like that. People are talking as if his only child has just died or something. It was an important tennis match, he lost and that's it. Time to move on. He was in a similar situation last year and had a very good season after the French.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
He was in a similar situation last year and had a very good season after the French.
Not true. Last year he had only lost the French Open final once. This time he has lost it twice in a row when he really thought he would win it this time after beating Nadal in Hamburg. He was probably more well prepared and more mentally psyched to win the French this year than he ever has before. This loss was also more devastating than last year's because he knows his opportunities now to ever win the French are getting slimmer and slimmer every year. This has to be the hardest and most devastating loss he has ever suffered in his career. It's always hard to emotionally get over a major loss like this, especially for someone as emotional as Federer is. And he is a very emotional guy as we've all seen him cry numerous times.

Just like it's hard to bounce right back after losing a job or breaking up with your girlfriend or your parents dying, etc., any significant loss will have a psychological and emotional impact that will linger for some time and requires a certain amount of time to get over. And the more significant the event, the greater the loss, and the more time you need to recover. And I would say winning the French was probably the most significant event in Federer's mind over the past year as he knew winning it would put him on top of the G.O.A.T. list. Thus, the more devastaing this failure.

tricky
06-11-2007, 03:46 PM
He was probably more well prepared and more mentally psyched to win the French this year than he ever has before. This loss was also more devastating than last year's because he knows his opportunities now to ever win the French are getting slimmer and slimmer every year.

I actually disagree with this. He had been inconsistent during the 2 months leading up to the event; he just fired his coach. His serve had noticeably slipped prior to the French Open, and it was a recurring issue through the last 2-3 games.

Going into Wimbledon, his serve remains the key issue. If his percentage hovers below 50%, and considering that he's going to skip Halle this year, well maybe Roddick finally has a shot in hell. :D

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I actually disagree with this. He had been inconsistent during the 2 months leading up to the event; he just fired his coach.

Even after those losses earlier in the season, Federer said he was better prepared to win the French this year than he has ever been before. Perhaps he lost those other matches because his mind was so focused on he French that he wasn't even thinking that much about those other tournaments?

aznspongehead
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, the way I see it, if Nadal can put up with hardly even making the finals of the other slams, surely Federer should be able to put this FO defeat behind him.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Well, the way I see it, if Nadal can put up with hardly even making the finals of the other slams, surely Federer should be able to put this FO defeat behind him.
The higher you climb, the harder you fall.

tricky
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Perhaps he lost those other matches because his mind was so focused on he French that he wasn't even thinking that much about those other tournaments?

Nah. Had Federer been properly preparing for the French -- and I truly don't think he was in peak condition at all this year -- he would have done better down in Miami and in Monte Carlo. His matches against Canas were especially baffling, because the point construction showed no patience whatsoever against a grinder. If he had been developing a clay court friendly mindset, it would have reflected in his matches against Canas.

And with that said, besides his service game coming in and out of focus, Federer had a great French Open run. He knows that.

He come away this year knowing that his BH has vastly improved against Nadal's heavier shots. The first 2 sets showed his progress in regards to that.

He simply didn't give himself a realistic shot at winning with his low service percentage. Nobody, not even a Federer, can beat a top-5 player on his best surface serving like that. That's not so much about Nadal, but issues with his own game. And Federer knows that. The frustration after the 2nd set reflected that he simply didn't give himself a chance. Had he served better, had he put away easy short balls in that 1st set, had he . . . Had he actually been on the same page with his coach, consultant or advisor, whatever, in regards to beating Nadal this year.

That leads into Wimbledon. If his service percentage goes back up to where it should be, he should cruise. If it doesn't, well we have a very interesting Wimbledon this year.

Fedace
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, definitely, FEDERERE pulled out of Halle today claiming fatigue. but in fact he was just too depressed from the loss to nadal. He was seeing his doctor about getting some prozac, hope it kicks in time for Wimby.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Nah. Had Federer been properly preparing for the French -- and I truly don't think he was in peak condition at all this year -- he would have done better down in Miami and in Monte Carlo. His matches against Canas were especially baffling, because the point construction showed no patience whatsoever against a grinder. If he had been developing a clay court friendly mindset, it would have reflected in his matches against Canas.

Perhaps he didn't really care about winning those other tournaments because he wanted to get more rest, reduce his risk of getting injured, and be more physically ready before his bid for this year's French?

tricky
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Perhaps he didn't really care about winning those other tournaments because he wanted to get more rest, reduce his risk of getting injured, and be more physically ready before his bid for this year's French?But he already took a LONG layoff this year. And I've said this a number of times this year, it looked like his footwork had noticeably slipped and his foot speed wasn't where it should be. This was the first year where to me it looked like Federer was *really* going into tourneys expecting to get into "match shape" (i.e. mentally) through the rounds. If Federer isn't nursing something right now, then he may be doing the same thing for Wimbledon.

Of all the surfaces, I think a person needs to play a lot of clay in order to get into clay shape. I didn't think Fed did this year. And with that said, of course, he still cruised into the finals dropping only one set.

In any case, that's all water under the bridge. What I'm concerned about, again, is his 1st serve.

ElSuegro
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Losing to Nadal hasn't bothered him either of the two previous years, and it won't bother the remainder of this year either. Even coming in second, he did something no one else did - get a set off Nadal, and it should have been two. Also, he's only 25 - plenty of more years to try. Wasn't Agassi about 28 when he won?

OrangeOne
06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Personally, I think the Wimbledon outcome is more significant on his mental state. Last year he 'righted himself' at Halle and W, and then went on to have another dream hardcourt season. I believed then, and I believe again now, were Nadal to beat him in the final, we may have one very very broken Fed indeed.

Think it goes without saying that Fed is more shattered this year than last year too, which would only make the potential early-loss or Nadal-loss more significant, as you pointed out.

tricky
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I believed then, and I believe again now, were Nadal to beat him in the final, we may have one very very broken Fed indeed.

And we would have one guy who finally won both French and Wimbledon in this generation, in the same year. Had Nadal done it last year or now, he would be officially in the "Heir to Borg" status.

johnnyg
06-11-2007, 04:58 PM
It is natural for the fans to panic and wonder if Fedx is going to crash out of wimbledon. Has he got the mental strength to handle such a big loss? Let's face it,Federer is the only tennis champion who wastes so many break points. That tendency alone, would suggest mental weakness and thus susceptible to a slump after a bad loss. Having said that, look at the way he comes back, time after time, after disheartening losses. He lost twice to Nadal and then went on to win the Wimbledon on both occasions. He had losses in Cincinnati to players like Hrbaty(2004) and Murray(2006) and went on to win US open. In fact, in 2004, he lost to Berdych in Olympics. Now, that must have been very disheartening as he is considered the premier swiss athlete and was the proud flag bearer.

In truth, he handles losses extremely well... much better than his fans. I am hoping he'll do well at the Big W.
Let us look at the draw before we start to panic.

fastdunn
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Same question was asked last year but Federer recovered remarkably.

But this time if he actually has an injury, it's going to be tough.

Tennis_Monk
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I just spoke with Federer. He is doing fine and he doesnt foresee anyone dethroning him from Wimbledon. What he also indicated is , he think Roddick will go far into the draw...Go figure.

tennis_hand
06-11-2007, 05:50 PM
He had the experience last year, so there is no reason he will let it affect him in Wimbledon. Obviously Wimbledon to him is the most important, more than the FO.

David L
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Not true. Last year he had only lost the French Open final once. This time he has lost it twice in a row when he really thought he would win it this time after beating Nadal in Hamburg. He was probably more well prepared and more mentally psyched to win the French this year than he ever has before. This loss was also more devastating than last year's because he knows his opportunities now to ever win the French are getting slimmer and slimmer every year. This has to be the hardest and most devastating loss he has ever suffered in his career. It's always hard to emotionally get over a major loss like this, especially for someone as emotional as Federer is. And he is a very emotional guy as we've all seen him cry numerous times.

Just like it's hard to bounce right back after losing a job or breaking up with your girlfriend or your parents dying, etc., any significant loss will have a psychological and emotional impact that will linger for some time and requires a certain amount of time to get over. And the more significant the event, the greater the loss, and the more time you need to recover. And I would say winning the French was probably the most significant event in Federer's mind over the past year as he knew winning it would put him on top of the G.O.A.T. list. Thus, the more devastaing this failure.The situation was similar last year, not the same. In any case, losses are part of the sport. Every Grandslam final has someone who loses. Also, Federer is only 25, he'll have other opportunities. He knows that. He'll be a whole lot more upset if he losses the Wimbledon title this year. You guy's crack me up. It was a tennis match, it's over. He has his whole career in front of him. Why would an experienced guy like Federer let this loss ruin the rest of his season? He's already had a very good year so far. If he wins Wimbledon again, he'll be on cloud nine. If he does it at the US, he'll be ecstatic. His career so far has been unbelievable. What has happened to him, he never would have anticipated in million years.

I think where you're going wrong is you're looking at it too much from a fan's perspective. To the sports writers and bystanders who experience what Federer does vicariously, it all seems so easy or inevitable for them that Federer will make finals and win Grandslams. Federer knows otherwise, he knows nothing is guaranteed. He knows you cannot just pencil him into the finals, because it's bloody hard to get there and he's the one who has to do it. He knew Nadal would be tough on clay, so while he may be disappointed he lost, it's not as if someone sprung a surprise on him. If he had been serving for the match at 5-0 40-love in the third having won the first two sets, and still lost, then he would probably be really upset. But the way the matched panned out, he would have been ready for success or defeat. He's already done better in his career than he could have hoped and has said even if he only wins one Grandslam in a year, it has already been a very good year.

Federer is living his real life in real time. Everything you read about his destiny or his artistry or his GOAT status etc, are things others are talking and speculating about. This is not how Federer sees himself or how he lives. He knows what he is doing is unbelievable and is very grateful for it, but not expectant. That is the key. He knows he still has to work hard and play well to have continued success. He does'nt have the expectation that this will or must continue to happen. This is what keeps a player focused and grounded. The moment you start believing your own press, is the moment you have lost the plot and the beginning of your downfall. Federer is determined and has perspective, as he has demonstrated many times, he has also taken other tough losses. The 2005 Australian Open semi-final where he had matchpoint and Safin saved it with an unbelievably lucky lob, before going on to win the match. The 2005 Masters Cup final, where he was serving out the match at 30-0 in the fifth and Nalbandian came back to break him and win the match. Those were tough losses, but he just brushed them off and was as blasé in his post match interviews as he was at this years French. How can he be so blasé? Because he knows that matches are tough, there are no guarantees that you will win and in life you win some you lose some. He is sensible enough to be grateful for the fact he has won most. Incidentally, he came back the next year and won each of those titles.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
The situation was similar last year, not the same. In any case, losses are part of the sport. Every Grandslam final has someone who loses. Also, Federer is only 25, he'll have other opportunities. He knows that. He'll be a whole lot more upset if he losses the Wimbledon title this year. You guy's crack me up. It was a tennis match, it's over. He has his whole career in front of him. Why would an experienced guy like Federer let this loss ruin the rest of his season? He's already had a very good year so far.

Federer will be 26 in 2 months. Over the past 33 years, there have been only six champions at Roland Garros who were 26 or older. Federer clearly understands that time is running out for him to win the French.

He has NOT had a very good year so far, as compared to last year. This year, he lost very early at Indian Wells, Miami, and Rome. Last year, he won Indian Wells and Miami, and had two match points to win the Rome final. This year he went the longest without winning a title in the past four years. In comparison to last year or even the past few years, he's had a terrible year so far. He was really looking at winning the French to redeem himself and to shut the naysayers that say his game is slipping or that he's past his prime. I guess he didn't quite prove them wrong.

Federer fully expected to win the French this year, especially after beating Nadal in Hamburg. Federer was quoted saying that he thought he was the only guy in the world who could beat Nadal at Roland Garros. Obviously, to make that kind of statement he must have been very confident that he could do it. No question about it, losing the RG final was a huge letdown for Federer, and likely the biggest disappointing loss of his entire career.

Lastly, this was not just another tennis match. If he wins it, he clearly makes a strong argument for being annointed the greatest of all time, and puts himself above guys like Sampras, Agassi, Borg, etc. If he loses, it puts all of that in doubt. Federer himself is very aware of this as he sees everything in historical perspective and understands the history of the sport. He understands that he is chasing history. This is why winning the French has been his biggest goal over the past couple of years and the most important tournament on his mind for a while now. It's a huge disappointment for him not to have won it this year, especially considering the way he played for the first six rounds. He must be emotionally crushed at the moment, and perhaps even depressed. If your biggest goal in life was to become a doctor but even after you put in your best effort and studied your brains out, you still end up failing out of med school, wouldn't you be crushed and depressed for a while?

Revman
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
The 2005 Australian Open semi-final where he had matchpoint and Safin saved it with an unbelievably lucky lob, before going on to win the match.

That was no "lucky lob." That was a brilliant lob on Safin's part, and a fitting conclusion to a brilliant point. Federer scrambled back and managed a between-the-legs return, but netted it. The point had started with Safin being stretched out wide by a Federer serve to the backhand, with Safin making an incredible return. Safin was the better player that day, pure and simple.

David L
06-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Federer will be 26 in 2 months. Over the past 33 years, there have been only six champions at Roland Garros who were 26 or older. Federer clearly understands that time is running out for him to win the French.

He has NOT had a very good year so far, as compared to last year. This year, he lost very early at Indian Wells, Miami, and Rome. Last year, he won Indian Wells and Miami, and had two match points to win the Rome final. This year he went the longest without winning a title in the past four years. In comparison to last year or even the past few years, he's had a terrible year so far. He was really looking at winning the French to redeem himself and to shut the naysayers that say his game is slipping or that he's past his prime. I guess he didn't quite prove them wrong.

Federer fully expected to win the French this year, especially after beating Nadal in Hamburg. Federer was quoted saying that he thought he was the only guy in the world who could beat Nadal at Roland Garros. Obviously, to make that kind of statement he must have been very confident that he could do it. No question about it, losing the RG final was a huge letdown for Federer, and likely the biggest disappointing loss of his entire career.

Lastly, this was not just another tennis match. If he wins it, he clearly makes a strong argument for being annointed the greatest of all time, and puts himself above guys like Sampras, Agassi, Borg, etc. If he loses, it puts all of that in doubt. Federer himself is very aware of this as he sees everything in historical perspective and understands the history of the sport. He understands that he is chasing history. This is why winning the French has been his biggest goal over the past couple of years and the most important tournament on his mind for a while now. It's a huge disappointment for him not to have won it this year, especially considering the way he played for the first six rounds. He must be emotionally crushed at the moment, and perhaps even depressed. If your biggest goal in life was to become a doctor but even after you put in your best effort and studied your brains out, you still end up failing out of med school, wouldn't you be crushed and depressed for a while?You're looking at it like a fan again. A Grandslam win and final, a masters series win(on clay against Nadal) and final, and an optional win is a pretty good year half way into the season. Better than his year in 2005. Also, I don't think players go around analysing the ages of past champions like fans do. In any case, people do win Grandslams after 25, including the French. I think Federer's pre and post final interviews say it all. He realized the Hamburg win did'nt guarantee anything. He knows that it was probably not the case he would beat Nadal every time they met, and said so. He can live with the defeat. Is he disappointed with the result? Yes. Crushed? No.

Your doctor analogy is a bad one. Federer is already living his dream by being a professional tennis player. The French Open defeat is a detail of his success, which he still has time to redeem. Even if he does'nt, he will still be happy with the career he has had.

David L
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
That was no "lucky lob." That was a brilliant lob on Safin's part, and a fitting conclusion to a brilliant point. Federer scrambled back and managed a between-the-legs return, but netted it. The point had started with Safin being stretched out wide by a Federer serve to the backhand, with Safin making an incredible return. Safin was the better player that day, pure and simple.AUSTRALIAN OPEN

January 27, 2005

Marat Safin

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

THE MODERATOR: First question in English.

Q. Do you remember the match point that Federer had, how did you lob him, and do you think he had the time to pass you or he tried to hit the passing shot between the legs?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, of course I remember that point. Just I was a little bit -- I was lucky. To be honest, I have to say that I was lucky. But I had no other choice. I couldn't go -- from the dropshot, I couldn't go anywhere, because I just lob him, and he was not getting there in position to make a passing shot. So the only chance he had to play between the legs. But it could work also. He had a chance.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=12161

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
A Grandslam win and final, a masters series win(on clay against Nadal) and final, and an optional win is a pretty good year half way into the season. Better than his year in 2005.
I'm not so sure about that. In 2005, he had won 3 Masters Series titles leading up to the French (Indian Wells, Miami, and Hamburg) and was a semi-finalist at a Grand Slam. This year, he only has one Masters Series title (Hamburg) to go along with his Grand Slam win and he lost early at Indian Wells and Miami.

Also, I don't think players go around analysing the ages of past champions like fans do. In any case, people do win Grandslams after 25, including the French.
I'm not so sure about that, either. I know neither Borg nor McEnroe won another Grand Slam past the age of 25. And like I said, only six guys have won the French at 26 or older in the past 33 years. Surviving 7 rounds of best of five set matches on red clay is a young man's game.

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Shouldnt effect him at all. Considering he wont need to hire another left hander to hit with to prepare for those topspin backhands, because it shouldnt be a factor. Just because nadal has won another french, which was really no suprise, people act like he's god now lol. I'm sure fed is VERY dissapointed though. I think he knows now he is not gonna out baseline nadal at the french. Next year he will have to mix it up much more if he wants to win.

whistleway
06-11-2007, 09:49 PM
David L, you got a fan out of me on that earlier post. Thanks.

David L
06-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not so sure about that. In 2005, he had won 3 Masters Series titles leading up to the French (Indian Wells, Miami, and Hamburg) and was a semi-finalist at a Grand Slam. This year, he only has one Masters Series title (Hamburg) to go along with his Grand Slam win and he lost early at Indian Wells and Miami.

I'm not so sure about that, either. I know neither Borg nor McEnroe won another Grand Slam past the age of 25. And like I said, only six guys have won the French at 26 or older in the past 33 years. Surviving 7 rounds of best of five set matches on red clay is a young man's game.

Don't know about you, but I'd take a Grandslam title, a Grandslam final appearance and a Masters Series title, over no Grandslam title, no Grandslam final appearance and 3 Masters Series titles. Call me crazy. He's already won Indian Wells and Miam multiple times in the past, he can pick these up again next year. It's not ideal that he went out early, but it's no big deal. No.1s don't usually win everything, look at the history. Federer sets such high standards, I guess it's no wonder some may think he has had a bad year. Imagine if Roddick or any of the other players were in Federer's position this year. They'd be jumping for joy.

6 guys is good enough. This shows it has been done multiple times. Borg retired at 26 so he's not a very good case study. McEnroe was a lazy, unmotivated, coke snorting, party animal, so he's another poor case study. No one said it was going to be easy, but clearly it can be done and has been done. Costa, Gomez, Agassi, Lendl, to name a few. Federer may join this group.

prosealster
06-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I remember when courier lost the FO and Wim final back to back...and he was devastated...never the same player since...so BP has a point.....but as a Fed fan...lets hope not ;)

Tennis_Goodness
06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Federer is his own person and doesn't seem to listen to previous history at all. Bringing up the history of players from the past means nothing when it comes to Federer, Federer is in the history breaking buisness.

Who knows how long Federer will keep playing tennis. He's one of the most fit and in shape ahtletes on the planet and his style of play and lack of injuries suggest he could play effectively for alot longer. I really believe he could be effective and a top player for another 10 years if he stays injury free. He can do everything with a racquet and maybe he will find a way to beat Nadal on clay.

He's not far away from breaking Petes grandslam recored and garnishing the "best player of all time" title. What more do you want from the guy right now? Nadal is turning out to be one of the greats on clay, and if Federer does indeed beat Nadal at the French Open one year, then that's just another feather in the cap.

Adversity is what sport is all about, great things come from great oppurtunities. I'm looking forward to what will happend!

kingdaddy41788
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Did it last year? I think not.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Don't know about you, but I'd take a Grandslam title, a Grandslam final appearance and a Masters Series title, over no Grandslam title, no Grandslam final appearance and 3 Masters Series titles.
Huh? What Grand Slam final appearance in addition to his Grand Slam title prior to the French? There's only one Grand Slam before the French and that's the AO and he won it.

BreakPoint
06-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I remember when courier lost the FO and Wim final back to back...and he was devastated...never the same player since...so BP has a point.....but as a Fed fan...lets hope not ;)
Yeah, and Courier had already won the French Open two years in a row prior to that and was going for his third in a row, whereas Federer has never won it, so I would have to presume that the loss was even more devastating to Federer than to even Courier.

Phil
06-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, and Courier had already won the French Open two years in a row prior to that and was going for his third in a row, whereas Federer has never won it, so I would have to presume that the loss was even more devastating to Federer than to even Courier.

I don't think so. Federer's been around...he's more experienced now than he was one, two or three years ago. You cannot transfer what YOUR feelings might be after such a loss, to a professional athlete with a proven record of bouncing back after losses. You cannot assume that this loss would "devastate" him in the very least. Can I assume that it won't? To a degree, yes, because there is precedent and history on my side...both of which indicate that not only did losing RG not affect RF's performance on other surfaces in the past three years, but it actually of fired him up, if results are anything to go by.

He's a big boy, he'll be fine. No one is going to take away his Wimbledon title. I wouldn't be quite as sure of the USO, though. But that has nothing to do with RG.

catspaw
06-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I don't think so. Federer's been around...he's more experienced now than he was one, two or three years ago. You cannot transfer what YOUR feelings might be after such a loss, to a professional athlete with a proven record of bouncing back after losses. You cannot assume that this loss would "devastate" him in the very least. Can I assume that it won't? To a degree, yes, because there is precedent and history on my side...both of which indicate that not only did losing RG not affect RF's performance on other surfaces in the past three years, but it actually of fired him up, if results are anything to go by.

He's a big boy, he'll be fine. No one is going to take away his Wimbledon title. I wouldn't be quite as sure of the USO, though. But that has nothing to do with RG.

I think I agree with just about all of this. There are too many assumptions that Federer will be completely distraught after this match, and for a prolonged length of time. Both fans and detractors can make a big deal of what he should and shouldn't be feeling and how this is BOUND to affect the rest of his career. When asked after the final how badly this would affect Federer, Peter Fleming replied that it was a huge loss and would probably bother him for a couple of days!! That, it would seem, is how long such disasters typically affect professional sportsmen, and I see no reason why Federer should be any different.

To make an assumption of my own, I imagine that his disappointment may well be laced with a fair amount of anger with himself for not being able to make the breakthrough in the first set, having had so many opportunities to do so, especially as he won the second set quite handily. I believe he's well known for channeling his anger in a useful direction and, again, I see no reason why that should suddenly change now.

On top of all that it appears that he sustained some sort of injury during the third set that probably scuppered any chance he may have had of making a real fight of it in the latter stages of the match. He knows therefore that he didn't/couldn't play his best. If he'd been able to play his A+ game and still lost, perhaps he would have more reason to be inconsolably devastated. As it is he lost a match where he played averagely (if that), and I'm sure he'll bear that in mind when he decides how upset he's going to be about it and for how long (if Peter Fleming's right, he's already moved on, unlike some......).

David L
06-12-2007, 03:38 AM
Huh? What Grand Slam final appearance in addition to his Grand Slam title prior to the French? There's only one Grand Slam before the French and that's the AO and he won it.Half way through the year you are calling a bad year, Federer has won a Grandslam(Australian Open) and been in the final of another(French Open).

In addition to these results he has won a Masters Series tournament(Hamburg) beating Nadal for the first time on clay and ending his 81 match winning streak, been in the final of another(Monte Carlo) and won an International Series Gold tournament(Dubai). He has had 3 bad results, for him. Second round(Indian Wells), third round(Rome) and fourth round(Miami).

Conclusion. His year has'nt been perfect and by his standards he could have done better. Nevertheless, he has had a pretty good year so far and anyone else on the tour would take his results over theirs. The one consolation regarding his 3 poor results is he will be able to pick up points at those tournaments next year to consolidate his No.1 ranking.

David L
06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember when courier lost the FO and Wim final back to back...and he was devastated...never the same player since...so BP has a point.....but as a Fed fan...lets hope not ;)How could you possibly know that Courier was devastated? Do you know him personally or something? Have you considered the possibility that a competitive tour caught up with him and passed him by?

Bassus
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
He had the experience last year, so there is no reason he will let it affect him in Wimbledon. Obviously Wimbledon to him is the most important, more than the FO.

Yeah, I'm sure if at the beginning of his career someone told him he can be a Wimbledon champion or a French Open champion, then he would have picked Wimbledon.

But now, with four Wimbledon's under his belt, do you really think winning a fifth if more important to him than winning his first French?

At this point, winning the French is no doubt his number one professional goal.

rafan
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I think I could harp back to the AO when Federer told someone that for the first time he was waking up in the night and thinking about shots. I thought it was some kind of warning bell. From someone who seemed so layed back I wondered then if this did not herald a change and was he becoming a little too stressed out.

urban
06-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Regarding the season so far, Federer seems to be a bit more shaky than in the last 3 years. His form on clay, was imo a bit less than last year. His presence at Halle was a good pattern for his Wim wins. But on the other hand: Who can really challenge him on grass? I thought, Murray, who looked very strong at AO, and Ancic would be his main challengers. But they are out or questionable. Gasquet is out of form. Maybe Djoko, who almost beat Ancic last year at Wim, has a chance. Monfils, if he gets in his big serves for 3 or 4 sets, could be dangerous. Nadal looks a bit tired, no wonder. Remain the usual supects: Roddick, Blake, Hewitt, but they simply don't have the right game for Fed. There are not many floaters on grass, and the 32 seeding system makes it easier for the favorites, to get into the groove.

tennis_hand
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I'm sure if at the beginning of his career someone told him he can be a Wimbledon champion or a French Open champion, then he would have picked Wimbledon.

But now, with four Wimbledon's under his belt, do you really think winning a fifth if more important to him than winning his first French?

At this point, winning the French is no doubt his number one professional goal.

He said so at the beginning of THIS year.
FO was No1 before FO. But overall in a whole year, he took wimbledon over everything else.

Hot Sauce
06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I would think so, it would be normal for anyone to lose confidence after a loss. But in Federer's interview he made it clear that he doesn't take the losses with him when he changes surfaces.

slice bh compliment
06-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Ja, we will have to ask Mirka. She is the only one who would know the answer.

BreakPoint
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Regarding the season so far, Federer seems to be a bit more shaky than in the last 3 years. His form on clay, was imo a bit less than last year. His presence at Halle was a good pattern for his Wim wins. But on the other hand: Who can really challenge him on grass? I thought, Murray, who looked very strong at AO, and Ancic would be his main challengers. But they are out or questionable. Gasquet is out of form. Maybe Djoko, who almost beat Ancic last year at Wim, has a chance. Monfils, if he gets in his big serves for 3 or 4 sets, could be dangerous. Nadal looks a bit tired, no wonder. Remain the usual supects: Roddick, Blake, Hewitt, but they simply don't have the right game for Fed. There are not many floaters on grass, and the 32 seeding system makes it easier for the favorites, to get into the groove.
One word: Karlovic. ;)

urban
06-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Yes, i overlooked him (its hard to do). Where is his seeding?

David L
06-13-2007, 01:16 AM

At this point, winning the French is no doubt his number one professional goal.Wrong. Whenever asked this, he always says Wimbledon is the most important, check his interviews. Even now, he would still prefer to win the Wimbledon title over the French in any given year.

BreakPoint
06-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Wrong. Whenever asked this, he always says Wimbledon is the most important, check his interviews. Even now, he would still prefer to win the Wimbledon title over the French in any given year.
I highly doubt it. Federer could win 4 more Wimbledons and that would still not put him above Laver in the G.O.A.T. category unless he wins the French. He'll just be another run of the mill guy like Sampras, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc. that won everything else except the French. He knows that.

Phil
06-13-2007, 02:14 AM
I highly doubt it. Federer could win 4 more Wimbledons and that would still not put him above Laver in the G.O.A.T. category unless he wins the French. He'll just be another run of the mill guy like Sampras, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc. that won everything else except the French. He knows that.

As tennis players we should all be so fortunate to be such "run-of-the-mill" players.

FarFed
06-13-2007, 02:22 AM

I agre with DavidL here. Federer claimed this in a interview some time ago, don't have the exact link, but he definitely said something to the effect (to the interviewer) " ...you mean trade Wimbledon for the French? no, definitely".

David L
06-13-2007, 04:14 AM
I highly doubt it. Federer could win 4 more Wimbledons and that would still not put him above Laver in the G.O.A.T. category unless he wins the French. He'll just be another run of the mill guy like Sampras, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc. that won everything else except the French. He knows that.He has been asked this question a million times and he always gives the same answer, Wimbledon. They asked him at Rome, where he said he can never put the French above Wimbledon as a priority. He was even asked it again at the French. See below for both. He gave a more diplomatic answer than usually at the French, probably so as not to disrespect the tournament. I'm pretty sure that Federer does not obsess about his GOAT status as much as fans, reporters and commentators do, although I'm sure he wants to do as well as he can in his career. I think they keep on asking him the same question because, like you, they can't believe he would prefer to win Wimbledon when he has already won it so many times, and want to see if he has changed his mind. People don't seem to realize how much Wimbledon means to Federer. I recall an interview, I think this year, where he was asked the same question again. He said Wimbledon of course, but he also said it scares him to think he might have to go through the year not being Wimbledon champion. As a kid, this was probably his dominant dream.

Q. I'm sorry if you already answered this. Is the French Open your absolute No. 1 priority this year?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, right now it is. I mean, can you put it over Wimbledon? I guess never. But the French Open is before Wimbledon, thank God, so I can really focus on the French Open.
Yeah. I don't know if that answers your question because I don't know myself I guess.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=42717

Q. If you had to choose between if you have to choose between to win here or England, what do you say?

ROGER FEDERER: No answer. I answered it so many times. It's impossible to answer.

Q. One more, please. For Uruguay?

ROGER FEDERER: Uruguay, okay. Oh, god. You're killing me.

This means a lot; Wimbledon, as well. No, I mean, it's very emotional. Wimbledon for me, you know, from junior times, then the Sampras wins, the four wins in a row. If I would have only played that tournament in my entire life, you know, I would have been a good player.

Now that I haven't won the French Open, that's a huge goal, as well. It would boost my career in an incredible way. Yeah. It's not my last French Open, hopefully I'm going to give my self many more chances to win here.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2007-06-01/200706011180713638234.html

David L
06-13-2007, 04:18 AM
I highly doubt it. Federer could win 4 more Wimbledons and that would still not put him above Laver in the G.O.A.T. category unless he wins the French. He'll just be another run of the mill guy like Sampras, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc. that won everything else except the French. He knows that.Those guys you mentioned are run of the mill? To win another 4 Wimbledon's would be run of the mill? Ok.

Zaragoza
06-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Federer after beating Davydenko in the SF:

Q. In the context of your career, what would it mean to win this title?

ROGER FEDERER: It would mean a lot (laughing). There's not much more I can say, really. I mean, I've put myself in the position, now I just have one match to go. So hopefully I can do it this year.

David L
06-13-2007, 04:46 AM
Federer after beating Davydenko in the SF:

Q. In the context of your career, what would it mean to win this title?

ROGER FEDERER: It would mean a lot (laughing). There's not much more I can say, really. I mean, I've put myself in the position, now I just have one match to go. So hopefully I can do it this year.Was there a point to this post?

caulcano
06-13-2007, 04:58 AM
You probably can get longer odds on Federer winning Wimbledon now.

Yes he is the best player on grass but I think this years loss at the FO has taken more out of him than anytime in the previous year.

He really dedicated himself to try & win the FO, evidently more than any other year, but he came up short again. He wants the FO 'really' badly & I just hope he doesn't beat himself up over it.

Zaragoza
06-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Was there a point to this post?

Yes, there is. Not sure about the point of your post since Fed said things like:

"Yeah. I don't know if that answers your question because I don't know myself I guess"

"It's impossible to answer"

At least Federer is stating something in my post.

Itīs so obvious that Federer needs to win the FO to be a GOAT contender that itīs not even a question which Grand Slam he needs to win right now.

Pete.Sampras.
06-13-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't think that it will affect Federer - French Open '08 maybe - but somehow I have the feeling that he will not win Wimbledon. We'll see...

hughsiss
06-13-2007, 05:24 AM
No it won't affect him, as he played better against Nadal in this years final than last year, and he still went on to win Wimbledon after that.

Hope
06-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Let's be honest, Roger's game has not been what it should be since the Aussie open in january. He's survived a lot of matches because of his talent. But talent alone won't win the French and it didn't. I felt Roger lost to history rather than Nadal. History wasn't ready for him this year. I think Roger's game is in transition. It is waiting to improve. He's worked on it but it has not happened yet - I think that's where the low percentages on service, groundstrokes and break point conversions come in. I hope his game gels soon because we are now where Roger likes to be - Grass and then hard courts and indoor till the end of the year.
Roger is a professional. He will take the loss because he knows he did not take his opportunities. And besides didn't Goran finally win wimbledon and didn't Agassi finally win the french? And does anyone remember Andres Gomes in 1990? I have no doubt that Roger will win the french.

David L
06-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Yes, there is. Not sure about the point of your post since Fed said things like:

"Yeah. I don't know if that answers your question because I don't know myself I guess"

"It's impossible to answer"

At least Federer is stating something in my post.

Itīs so obvious that Federer needs to win the FO to be a GOAT contender that itīs not even a question which Grand Slam he needs to win right now.I don't think anyone is saying Federer does not believe the French is important and would'nt like to win it. Someone earlier had suggested Federer would take the French over Wimbledon at this stage in his career. However, when pushed on this question in numerous interviews, not just the two I provided links to, he always says if he had to choose one, he would still prefer to win Wimbledon, even now. Maybe if he wins 10 Wimbledon's, his appetite for that tournament will finally be satisfied and he will prefer the French, but at the moment this is not the case. Of course, he would like to have everything, but that's not always possible.

Regarding the GOAT debate, I really don't believe this is something that preoccupies Federer's mind as much as that of fans and sports writers. Naturally, he would love to win the French, but if he only ends up winning the other three Grandslams, he has said he would still be very satisfied with his career, even with just the titles he has now. Any extra, of course, is welcome and is just more icing on the cake. If I can find the interview I'll post it. I think the mistake people often make, is they project their perspective on to others, despite contrary evidence, and are very often wrong.

Zaragoza
06-13-2007, 06:00 AM
I know Wimbledon is his favourite Slam but at this point of his career I think he would like to win the FO more than any other Slam, even Wimbledon.
Of course thatīs hard to admit for him since it didnīt happen yet (the FO title) but if he manages to win the FO someday you will see how important it is. Until it happens (if it really happens someday) I donīt think he is going to be 100% honest about the impact of a FO title on his career.

caulcano
06-13-2007, 06:26 AM
I know Wimbledon is his favourite Slam but at this point of his career I think he would like to win the FO more than any other Slam, even Wimbledon.

Of course thatīs hard to admit for him since it didnīt happen yet (the FO title) but if he manages to win the FO someday you will see how important it is. Until it happens (if it really happens someday) I donīt think he is going to be 100% honest about the impact of a FO title on his career.

True. It's because he hasn't won it that he craves it the most, and like you say he wouldn't admit to it.

And if/when he wins it, Wimbledon will be his #1 priority again.

Bassus
06-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Wrong. Whenever asked this, he always says Wimbledon is the most important, check his interviews. Even now, he would still prefer to win the Wimbledon title over the French in any given year.

Yeah, and you believe him?

Maybe its just a defense mechanism of his, to mentally prepare for losing the French because he really doesn't think he'll win it.

Federer is chasing the GOAT honor, and to make a widely undisputed claim on it, he must win the French. No one knows that better than Federer himself. The idea that at this point in his career he wouldn't trade one Wimbledon for one French is just impossible to believe.

David L
06-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Yeah, and you believe him?

Maybe its just a defense mechanism of his, to mentally prepare for losing the French because he really doesn't think he'll win it.

Federer is chasing the GOAT honor, and to make a widely undisputed claim on it, he must win the French. No one knows that better than Federer himself. The idea that at this point in his career he wouldn't trade one Wimbledon for one French is just impossible to believe.So both of you are speculating he must be lying. Ok, that's your call. I personally don't think so. What would be the point? There would be nothing wrong with saying he would like to win the French most at this point. After all, he does'nt deny that he would really like to win it. Federer strikes me as a pretty straight shooter in his interviews. Whenever asked the question, he's never defensive. In his good natured way, he always gives the question some thought and grudgingly comes down on the side of Wimbledon when forced to choose. This suggests to me he's being genuine. It would make no difference if he said, yes, probably the French. Many greats have not won all four Grandslams and are still quite happy with their careers. It will also probably be easier for Federer to accept if Nadal continues to stop him and gets crowned the greatest clay court player of all time. After all, he won't be losing to someone second-rate on his least favourite surface.

catspaw
06-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Sentiment can weigh very heavily with people, and Federer seems to be attached to Wimbledon by some sort of tennisey umbilical cord. Everybody else seems to want to win Wimbledon more than any other title too, and plenty attach no great significance to the French by comparison. Wimbledon is enshrined in so much tradition and iconic stuff that it seems to transcend everything else by miles.

So why should Federer be any different? Yes, he's won it 4 times and yes, the French would make him unarguably the GOAT so, yes he should be dying to win the clay one more than any other at the moment. But cold logic doesn't seem to come into it. Perhaps, if he equals Borg's 5 consecutive wins and/or goes one better, he might just become more rational about it but, at present, he still seems genuinely fixated on the green grass of SW19. You who think he's telling porky pies about this may be right, but I don't really see the point of his doing that - the world and his wife already know that The French is VERY important to him; for him to say that it's the MOST important wouldn't be so hard for him to do in that context. But he doesn't, so it probably isn't. From everything he's said on the subject, it sounds as though he can cope without winning the French far more easily than he could face losing Wimbledon.

caulcano
06-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Sentiment can weigh very heavily with people, and Federer seems to be attached to Wimbledon by some sort of tennisey umbilical cord. Everybody else seems to want to win Wimbledon more than any other title too, and plenty attach no great significance to the French by comparison. Wimbledon is enshrined in so much tradition and iconic stuff that it seems to transcend everything else by miles.

So why should Federer be any different? Yes, he's won it 4 times and yes, the French would make him unarguably the GOAT so, yes he should be dying to win the clay one more than any other at the moment. But cold logic doesn't seem to come into it. Perhaps, if he equals Borg's 5 consecutive wins and/or goes one better, he might just become more rational about it but, at present, he still seems genuinely fixated on the green grass of SW19. You who think he's telling porky pies about this may be right, but I don't really see the point of his doing that - the world and his wife already know that The French is VERY important to him; for him to say that it's the MOST important wouldn't be so hard for him to do in that context. But he doesn't, so it probably isn't. From everything he's said on the subject, it sounds as though he can cope without winning the French far more easily than he could face losing Wimbledon.

Well in all honesty, ALOT of people think Federer will be the overwhelming favourite to win the Wimbldeon for the next 3 or 4 years (maybe more). I'm sure if/when Federer wins the FO it will mean more than any subsquent Wimbledon title (maybe with exception of title 8, if that's possible), just because he's never won the FO before.

slice bh compliment
06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
If he wins Wimbledon, it will be emotional. Knees, tears, that sort of thing.

epicsocks
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Federer, without dropping a set.

Marius_Hancu
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
It could, but it probably won't.

BreakPoint
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Q. I'm sorry if you already answered this. Is the French Open your absolute No. 1 priority this year?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, right now it is. I mean, can you put it over Wimbledon? I guess never. But the French Open is before Wimbledon, thank God, so I can really focus on the French Open.
Yeah. I don't know if that answers your question because I don't know myself I guess.
Sounds to me like he's not sure.

ROGER FEDERER:

Now that I haven't won the French Open, that's a huge goal, as well. It would boost my career in an incredible way. Yeah. It's not my last French Open, hopefully I'm going to give my self many more chances to win here.

Sounds to me like he realizes that winning the French is the one thing that will put him on top of the G.O.A.T. category.

BreakPoint
06-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Those guys you mentioned are run of the mill? To win another 4 Wimbledon's would be run of the mill? Ok.
Yes, in the category of run of the mill guys that never won the French. It doesn't matter how many Wimbledons Federer wins. Until he wins the French he will never surpass Laver. Borg won 6 French Opens and 5 Wimbledons (3 back-to-back) and that still puts him below Laver.

BreakPoint
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
No it won't affect him, as he played better against Nadal in this years final than last year, and he still went on to win Wimbledon after that.
How do you figure? Last year's French final was also 4 sets and Federer crushed Nadal in the first set 6-1 and took the fourth set to a tiebreak. I'd say Federer played just as poorly or even worse in this year's final than last year's.

BreakPoint
06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes, I agree.

And I can guarantee that if Federer ever won the French Open, you'd see more tears streaming down his face than even after he won his first Wimbledon or last year's Australian Open.

David L
06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Sounds to me like he's not sure.

Sounds to me like he realizes that winning the French is the one thing that will put him on top of the G.O.A.T. category.Sounds to me like his sympathies lie toward Wimbledon, while realizing the French would be great for his career also. Him saying "I guess never", regarding the French ever being a priority over Wimbledon during a season, is a big giveaway. He expresses more ambivalence in those responses than he has in the past, probably because he was asked in the build up to the French and would clearly love to win there, not having done so. However, it's obvious that the focus of his year is always on Wimbledon, as daft as that may seem to everyone else and all the self-appointed adjudicators of the GOAT criteria. I guess it does'nt really matter one way or the other, but I'm pretty sure Federer is over the French for this year and will be really happy with his season if he wins his 5th consecutive Wimbledon and retains his No.1 ranking. He can try for the French next year. One thing is clear, Federer prioritizing the French is not quite the slam dunk some thought it was.

prosealster
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
How could you possibly know that Courier was devastated? Do you know him personally or something? Have you considered the possibility that a competitive tour caught up with him and passed him by?

Don't know him personally, but remember reading an interview many months later (don't have the exact link), he was talking about how much those 2 losses hurt, esp in his final against Sampras where 1 or 2 points could have gone either way

TheTruth
06-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Doesn't anybody remember Federer's declaration shortly after the Australian?He said he was planning an all out attack on the French and put the rest of the tour on notice. If you didn't see it, check ESPN's archive section. He said the French was his biggest priority. These other comments came either slightly before, or after the loss.

tennisadd1ct
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/big/K61T90-big.jpg

roger federer should really get a bigger frame, it will effect his game and make him feel he can actually hit the sweet spot, and if he misses it still goes in, not flying out of bounds which happens with his racket right now

carol4832
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Fed's loss at the FO does not affect the rest of his season. When you lose a match, do you not want to win anymore... Federer's success will continue he is just probably thinking about getting through the draws at each slam.

stormholloway
06-19-2007, 08:42 PM
The answer to the question is yes.

But if you asked will it affect his performance at Wimbledon, then the answer is probably no, unless he plays Nadal in the final.

BreakPoint
06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
roger federer should really get a bigger frame, it will effect his game and make him feel he can actually hit the sweet spot, and if he misses it still goes in, not flying out of bounds which happens with his racket right now
It's the other way around. When I use a smaller racquet and mishit, the ball tends to stay in because the stringbed is so low powered. When I use a larger racquet, it's so powerful that even when I miss the sweetspot, the ball could still fly out.

Rodditha
06-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Who gives a f*** if the loss in FO is gonna affect his performance.
1)Fed is crap:)
2)Fed is sh*t;)
3)Fed is boring
4)I hope he loses in first week of Wimbledon:p
5)F##k him for beating Roddick:mad:

BreakPoint
06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
1)Fed is crap
2)Fed is sh*t
3)Fed is boring
Calm down, Andy. ;)

David L
06-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Here's a 2005 Times article quoting Federer. Speaks for itself.

“Ah yes, the French Open. We are getting to that time again,” Federer acknowledges with an expression that suggests he has given the matter plenty of thought. “I don’t like to look at it as the one thing missing from the set in my collection. And I certainly don’t view winning it as the only thing left to accomplish in my career.

“Most people know how highly I revere Wimbledon and I feel that the Centre Court is the most magical place for a player. If I could choose between winning Wimbledon or Roland Garros, I would always pick Wimbledon. And, looking a long time into the future, if I was to win Wimbledon 10 times but never managed to win the French Open and was then given the choice, I would pick an 11th Wimbledon title rather than a first French.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article525148.ece

logansc
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I mean obviously it COULD, but last year TMF didn't lose a set until Nadal in the finals and IMO the only reason he lost that set was because it was Nadal and he was kind of in his head. He managed to do ok last year I think he'll be fine.

BreakPoint
06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Here's a 2005 Times article quoting Federer. Speaks for itself.

“Ah yes, the French Open. We are getting to that time again,” Federer acknowledges with an expression that suggests he has given the matter plenty of thought. “I don’t like to look at it as the one thing missing from the set in my collection. And I certainly don’t view winning it as the only thing left to accomplish in my career.

“Most people know how highly I revere Wimbledon and I feel that the Centre Court is the most magical place for a player. If I could choose between winning Wimbledon or Roland Garros, I would always pick Wimbledon. And, looking a long time into the future, if I was to win Wimbledon 10 times but never managed to win the French Open and was then given the choice, I would pick an 11th Wimbledon title rather than a first French.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article525148.ece
This interview was in 2005 before the French Open and when he had only won TWO Wimbledons. Now he has FOUR Wimbledons and STILL no French Opens. Don't you think it's possible he may have changed his sentiments by now?

OK, we get it. You're English and live in London and you think Wimbledon is the be all and end all of tennis tournaments and that no one could possibly want to win anything else over Wimbledon. We get it.

David L
06-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't know him personally, but remember reading an interview many months later (don't have the exact link), he was talking about how much those 2 losses hurt, esp in his final against Sampras where 1 or 2 points could have gone either wayWell, being hurt by a loss and having it devastate the rest of your career are two different things. Everyone will experience some disappointment or hurt after a major loss. If indeed it is true Courier was never the same player again due to those losses, as you suggest, it is very hard to know this without him communicating it or being privy to some psychological analysis on him.

David L
06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
This interview was in 2005 before the French Open and when he had only won TWO Wimbledons. Now he has FOUR Wimbledons and STILL no French Opens. Don't you think it's possible he may have changed his sentiments by now?

OK, we get it. You're English and live in London and you think Wimbledon is the be all and end all of tennis tournaments and that no one could possibly want to win anything else over Wimbledon. We get it.Well, when asked the question more recently, he still favoured Wimbledon. Also, in his 2005 response he predicts even with 10 Wimbledons, he would still prefer an 11th over a 1st French. Of course, it's possible he could change his mind at any time in the future.

It has nothing to do with me being English. Wimbledon is'nt even the Slam I enjoy watching most. On occasion, it has even been the one I least looked forward to, when there was big serving and no rallies. Having said this, I do think Wimbledon is the most famous title and the most prestigious, but that's just a fact. This may not be a sentiment shared by everyone however and I realize that. Regarding Federer and Wimbledon, like you, I probably would have assumed the French would be his preference at this stage, had I not repeatedly seen how much he loves Wimbledon. However, unlike you, I would'nt have stated it categorically, as fact. It is one of my pet peeves when people present assumptions as factual and continue to do so in the face of the facts. It displays a certain insularity and pigheadedness. It's a good quality when one is able to realize people see things differently.

BreakPoint
06-20-2007, 04:11 PM
However, unlike you, I would'nt have stated it categorically, as fact. It is one of my pet peeves when people present assumptions as factual and continue to do so in the face of the facts. It displays a certain insularity and pigheadedness. It's a good quality when one is able to realize people see things differently.
Did you not see the title of this (my) thread starts with the word "Could" and ends in a question mark?

And the last sentence in my OP is "What do you guys think?"

carol4832
06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
1)Fed is crap:)
2)Fed is sh*t;)
3)Fed is boring

dude, your a roll.

carol4832
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, when asked the question more recently, he still favoured Wimbledon. Also, in his 2005 response he predicts even with 10 Wimbledons, he would still prefer an 11th over a 1st French. Of course, it's possible he could change his mind at any time in the future.

It has nothing to do with me being English. Wimbledon is'nt even the Slam I enjoy watching most. On occasion, it has even been the one I least looked forward to, when there was big serving and no rallies. Having said this, I do think Wimbledon is the most famous title and the most prestigious, but that's just a fact. This may not be a sentiment shared by everyone however and I realize that. Regarding Federer and Wimbledon, like you, I probably would have assumed the French would be his preference at this stage, had I not repeatedly seen how much he loves Wimbledon. However, unlike you, I would'nt have stated it categorically, as fact. It is one of my pet peeves when people present assumptions as factual and continue to do so in the face of the facts. It displays a certain insularity and pigheadedness. It's a good quality when one is able to realize people see things differently.

Don't get me wrong Federer is the best player out there today... But sometimes he acts like a little Beeitccch. The only reason he is saying that is because there is some part of him which feels that he will not be able to achieve the Ultimate Tennis accomplishment, winning all 4 majors.

Federer has to completely dedicate his tennis to winning the french, and taking out Nadal. or Someone else will get to Nadal one day at the French in the next few years..

David L
06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you not see the title of this (my) thread starts with the word "Could" and ends in a question mark?

And the last sentence in my OP is "What do you guys think?"I'm not talking about the title, I'm talking about some of the things you have written throughout this thread about what Federer must be experiencing and thinking, and you are not the only one. Looking at a current picture of him at Wimbledon on his website, he does'nt look particularly devastated to me. His grin's as cheesy as ever. Here are some of your claims.

"Obviously, Federer must be devastated and very mentally distraught over his loss for the second year in a row in the French Open final and the third time to Nadal in as many years.

This time he has lost it twice in a row when he really thought he would win it this time after beating Nadal in Hamburg.

This loss was also more devastating than last year's because he knows his opportunities now to ever win the French are getting slimmer and slimmer every year. This has to be the hardest and most devastating loss he has ever suffered in his career. It's always hard to emotionally get over a major loss like this, especially for someone as emotional as Federer is.

Federer fully expected to win the French this year, especially after beating Nadal in Hamburg.

Lastly, this was not just another tennis match. If he wins it, he clearly makes a strong argument for being annointed the greatest of all time, and puts himself above guys like Sampras, Agassi, Borg, etc. If he loses, it puts all of that in doubt. Federer himself is very aware of this as he sees everything in historical perspective and understands the history of the sport. He understands that he is chasing history. This is why winning the French has been his biggest goal over the past couple of years and the most important tournament on his mind for a while now. It's a huge disappointment for him not to have won it this year, especially considering the way he played for the first six rounds. He must be emotionally crushed at the moment, and perhaps even depressed.

I highly doubt it. Federer could win 4 more Wimbledons and that would still not put him above Laver in the G.O.A.T. category unless he wins the French. He'll just be another run of the mill guy like Sampras, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc. that won everything else except the French. He knows that."

carol4832
06-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Don't get me wrong Federer is the best player out there today... But sometimes he acts like a little Beeitccch. The only reason he is saying that is because there is some part of him which feels that he will not be able to achieve the Ultimate Tennis accomplishment, winning all 4 majors.

Federer has to completely dedicate his tennis to winning the french, and taking out Nadal. or Someone else will get to Nadal one day at the French in the next few years..

David L
06-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Federer has to completely dedicate his tennis to winning the french, and taking out Nadal. or Someone else will get to Nadal one day at the French in the next few years..This is what I was talking about. You are using pop psychology to tell us what really motivates Federer's behaviour and presenting it as fact. Fact is, Federer does'nt know if he will or won't break all records and win everything. He's discovering just as we are. He could'nt even tell you if he will win this year's Wimbledon, but as the favourite will know he has a chance.

carol4832
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
This is what I was talking about. You are using pop psychology to tell us what really motivates Federer's behaviour and presenting it as fact. Fact is, Federer does'nt know if he will or won't break all records and win everything. He's discovering just as we are. He could'nt even tell you if he will win this year's Wimbledon, but as the favourite will know he has a chance.

Federer has more than a chance at Wimby. He is the most probable and Favorite to win it this year. I was just commenting about the above article which discusses where he would rather have another wimbledon then the french.

This is why i say that sometimes he acts like a little Beeotchh. We all really know (just like roger does) but not willing to show it.. that at this point in fed's career the FO means more than another wimbledon. He is The best All-court player today. and would like to close the door on on the speculation about being the GOAT. The FO Win makes him the undisputed GOAT across the board.

slice bh compliment
06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Funny, he could lose in the first week, and I would not be totally shocked.
ANd he could silence a lot of us by just doing what he normally does without a lot of grass court preparation.
Shows you how much we know.

My gut feeling is that he will have a tougher time winning this Wimbledon than his first.

But if he can sell himself fully on the idea that an underprepared Rogi is still a notch or two better than anyone else on grass, I like his chances.

If he wallows .... and his primadonna tendencies outweigh his testes, it could be a nice thing for the rest of the tour.

Hopp Schweiz! Vamos Rogelio!

David L
06-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Federer has more than a chance at Wimby. He is the most probable and Favorite to win it this year. I was just commenting about the above article which discusses where he would rather have another wimbledon then the french.

This is why i say that sometimes he acts like a little Beeotchh. We all really know (just like roger does) but not willing to show it.. that at this point in fed's career the FO means more than another wimbledon. He is The best All-court player today. and would like to close the door on on the speculation about being the GOAT. The FO Win makes him the undisputed GOAT across the board.Well no, we don't all really know he would prefer the French over Wimbledon. Some people are speculating this is the case, but they're just guessing, like you, and are probably wrong. Would he like to win the French? Yes.

Fedace
06-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I am hearing that fed's practices are going terrible. he is still miss hitting balls in practice and having nightmares of all those high bouncing topspins shots.

caulcano
06-21-2007, 02:55 AM
I am hearing that fed's practices are going terrible. he is still miss hitting balls in practice and having nightmares of all those high bouncing topspins shots.

I think that's just in his nightmares when he sleeps.

pound cat
06-21-2007, 04:33 AM
I think that's just in his nightmares when he sleeps.

And nightmares can carry over to your daytime functioning.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it to the quarters.

caulcano
06-21-2007, 04:35 AM
And nightmares can carry over to your daytime functioning.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it to the quarters.

It would surprise A LOT of people (including myself).

Rodditha
06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey i never disrespected nobody on this forum, i misunderstood(mistake)

diredesire
06-21-2007, 01:05 PM
carol4382, i think you should read the rules of the forum again. if you've got a problem with someone, just report their post and we'll check it out for you. If the flaming continues the admins may step in and do something about it. The language (no matter if it's filtered and/or "bleeped out") is not appropriate.

Attila the tennis Bum
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM

its that damn stupid racquet. Why the hell does he play with it?

xtremerunnerars
06-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Did it affect him last year?

OrangeOne
06-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Oh, you know, he's only won more slams than almost anyone in history with that racquet.

Damn stupid racquet.

BreakPoint
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Because, unlike you, he's actually good enough to use it.

Attila the tennis Bum
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Because, unlike you, he's actually good enough to use it.

well thats true.

But he still could make life a little easier on himself.

Attila the tennis Bum
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM

well he lost the FO and he had a pretty tough time with Nadal at Wimbledon. he also had a losing record on hards against Nadal. In fact the one win he did have against Nadal on hards was VERY VERY close.

so yeah...I'd say it affected him.

BreakPoint
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
well thats true.

But he still could make life a little easier on himself.
You mean like all those other thousands of pros that make life easier on themselves by using bigger racquets but have never won even a single Grand Slam? Oh....OK, yeah, Federer should be copying THEM. :roll:

Fedace
06-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Yea but last year he played halle with no problems, but this year fed is still crying about the match in his bed every night. ;)

alienhamster
06-21-2007, 09:46 PM
If he's gonna have an off-year on grass, the conditions suggest this may be the year.

I don't think the FO loss ALONE would change his outlook for Wimbledon. But combined with fatigue, injury, and lack of grass court preparation . . . maybe.

It really depends on his draw. If he gets a Gasquet/Karlovic/Mahut type draw in the early rounds, he could definitely go out.

If he gets to the quarters, he'll win Wimbledon again. We've all seen this story WAY too many times.

alienhamster
06-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Yea but last year he played halle with no problems, but this year fed is still crying about the match in his bed every night. ;)

I don't think this is correct. I think he struggled at Halle in a couple of matches, couple of very close 3-setters. This is what I READ and REMEMBER, though, so I could be wrong. I just recall him having trouble adjusting.

But then he was in Fed-bot mode from the first round at Wimbledon.

federerfanatic
06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
He is used to emotionaly recuperating after the French Open, so this should not be too much of a worry for him. I think people are making too much of it to create unrealistic amount of drama and suspense personally.

Although I almost would not focus so much on the French Open, and more on dominating the other 3 slams. Putting so much emotional investment into the French Open could lead to taking away some of his edge if he continues to come up short there. He might even have a better shot of winning the French Open too if he had a more casual outlook on it. It is obvious watching the way he played the last 2 French Open finals he puts so much pressure on himself to win the French at this point he cant control his nerves normally anymore.

rwn
06-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Federer has had tough losses before the last couple of years. Did it hurt him in any way? No, he came back even better. Simply started another winning streak. Will it hurt him now? Very unlikely. Will he start another winning streak? Very likely.