PDA

View Full Version : what kind of socks do you guys wear......

tnkGod4tns
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
looking for a good one with good protection, not too thick or too thin.

lilxjohnyy
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
thorlo level 2

califsurferboy33
06-11-2007, 05:18 PM
short on hard courts, long on clay courts because i don't like the clay on my skin

Kirko
06-11-2007, 05:23 PM

wigwam cool max crew.

slice bh compliment
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Thorlo. Love 'em. I play in all sorts of weather, and yeah, I do sweat a lot in the summer heat. Have not had a blister since I switched to Thorlos about twelve years ago. I get about a dozen new ones every year.

BkK_b0y14
06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
i dont have a problem with protection with these, they also wick sweat REALLY well:

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml#l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-134568/pid-134567,_grid,f-10002+12002+4294967049&re=US&co=US&la=EN
(http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml#l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-134568/pid-134567,_grid,f-10002+12002+4294967049&re=US&co=US&la=EN)

or

at tw: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSNIKE-NMSCNSSB.html

Capt. Willie
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I hate Thorlos....way too thick. Ended up wearing mine with workboots doing yard work. Pretty expensive lawn mowing socks.

BreakPoint
06-12-2007, 01:10 AM
I hate Thorlos....way too thick. Ended up wearing mine with workboots doing yard work. Pretty expensive lawn mowing socks.
Yup, I hate Thorlos, too! Way too slippery inside the shoe which causes lots of toe jamming when you abruptly stop which results in black and blue toes.

(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageADIDAS-AMSCWG.html)

tenniko
06-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Costco Champion socks.http://www.thisnext.com/media/160x160/B2A971F7.jpg

Socks really don't matter, unless you're into showing your favorite brand's logo all over your body, or you really need to match your clothes/shoes. as long as it's not too hideous, it'll do. and who knows, your opponent might get distracted by your disgusting sense of fashion (i.e. yellow hat/bandanna, blue top, green shorts, gray socks, black wristbands, red shoes).

that's just my 2 cents though. no offense for the i-am-fashionable-on-court players.

i think about fashion after i get off of the courts :). when i'm on, arse-whopping is all i think about.

zapvor
06-12-2007, 02:00 AM
i dont even know. just regular socks. but i prefer thicker ones

rasajadad
06-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I made the switch to thin socks a couple of years ago to try and help the "tennis toe" and the bunion issues. I've been using Euro socks and they seem to fill the bill for me. You do have to tighten up the laces a bit to prevent slipping around inside the shoe due to the additional room created from the thicker socks.

topspin_17
06-12-2007, 04:40 AM
i guess thorlos are okay... but i like wrightsock... a double layer sock. another great sock would be the 'ingenius' sock, a sock with no seams. they're made by wigwam, who make thermal socks.

aidenous
06-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Eurosocks are the most comfortable. Feetures would be my 2nd choice.

goober
06-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Yeah I didn't like Thorlos either- too slippery. Not too bad though if you wear a second cotton sock over it to stop the slippage, but then it gets really thick! Glad I only bought one pair.

Under Armour crews are my current favorite.

Craig Sheppard
06-12-2007, 05:59 AM
I've never had a problem with regular Hanes cotton socks from Target.

tennis-n-sc
06-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Mostly Thorlos but they do get wet and slippery in the summer. The Euros are thinner and therefore don't slide as much and I like them. I tried to get the Under Armor from TW but they had sold out. Somebody must be buying the heck of those.

Douggo
06-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Thorlo Level 1. Some extra padding, but not too thick and they don't get as hot and squishy as the thicker ones.

Blade0324
06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Regular cotton crew socks from where ever has a good deal on them. I'm kind of picky that they have to be sort of thick but not too thick. I buy them in large quantities and wear a new pair for each set of a match. Then once I have worn them once they are for practice or casual wear. I like the feel of them when they are brand new for matches. I know kinda wierd. Oh well.

Voltron
06-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Two pairs of thorlos, why use anything else?

BreakPoint
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Socks really don't matter, unless you're into showing your favorite brand's logo all over your body, or you really need to match your clothes/shoes.
I totally disagree! I find socks to be one of the most important pieces of my tennis equipment and I pay a lot of attention to them. To me, they're just as important as my choice of shoes or strings. The socks I wear have to be compatible and work with the shoes I'm wearing or else it's just a disaster. The wrong socks could drastically inhibit my playing ability as much as the wrong shoes or the wrongs strings do. If my socks cause me to slide around inside my shoes, I cannot stop properly and will always feel I'm off balance when I'm trying to set up to hit the ball. Yes, this instability or feeling of instability can cause me to miss shots. I've actually blamed my socks for losing some close matches before because I never felt I could hit my shots consistently without having confidence in my footwork.

And this is not even mentioning the toe jamming and/or blisters that the wrong socks can cause which will, of course, cause pain in your toes and/or feet which will inhibit your footwork and your ability to get to the ball.

So, no, for me it's definitely not a fashion statement. It's a very critical piece of my tennis equipment.

The Victor
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I found these Nike "Air One" or "Air Force One" socks that seemed thick enough to provide some good cushioning, so now I wear those, can't complain much.

I'd love to try out some of the stuff you guys have been mentioning - Thorlos, Under Armour, etc. - but I can't get a hold of them in Portugal and shipping is expensive!

ledor
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I got one pair of Thorlos, they are allright if you are going all day. I'd like to try that under armor pair.

fgzhu88
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
try underarmor metal socks. i swear your feet will never feel wet.

tenniko
06-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I totally disagree! I find socks to be one of the most important pieces of my tennis equipment and I pay a lot of attention to them. To me, they're just as important as my choice of shoes or strings. The socks I wear have to be compatible and work with the shoes I'm wearing or else it's just a disaster. The wrong socks could drastically inhibit my playing ability as much as the wrong shoes or the wrongs strings do. If my socks cause me to slide around inside my shoes, I cannot not stop properly and will always feel I'm off balance when I'm trying to set up to hit the ball. Yes, this instability or feeling of instability can cause me to miss shots. I've actually blamed my socks for losing some close matches before because I never felt I could hit my shots consistently without having confidence in my footwork.

And this is not even mentioning the toe jamming and/or blisters that the wrong socks can cause which will, of course, cause pain in your toes and/or feet which will inhibit your footwork and your ability to get to the ball.

So, no, for me it's definitely not a fashion statement. It's a very critical piece of my tennis equipment.

As long as they do their job, which is to keep my feet from getting blisters and to fit my feet inside the shoe well, I don't care about the cosmetics.

Toe jamming and/or blisters come from too much tennis/poor footwork, unless your socks are way too slipper/shoes don't fit well.

So in a way, for me, it's important if I think about it that way. However, any cotton/cotton-nylon socks from all brands except those thick thorlos have met my requirements thus far, so I don't think too much of my socks.

austro
06-15-2007, 01:20 AM

Falke medium weight is just what you're looking for. I have been experimenting a bit, hate the Thorlos but these are just right. Sometimes I also wear two pairs of thin ones...

austro
06-15-2007, 01:26 AM
And I don't like the double-layered ones anymore because they tend to shrink and once they have been through a few washing cycles, the two layers start to kind of move...

But I agree that socks that give you that 'just-on' feeling are important!

origmarm
06-15-2007, 02:08 AM
I totally disagree! I find socks to be one of the most important pieces of my tennis equipment and I pay a lot of attention to them. To me, they're just as important as my choice of shoes or strings. The socks I wear have to be compatible and work with the shoes I'm wearing or else it's just a disaster. The wrong socks could drastically inhibit my playing ability as much as the wrong shoes or the wrongs strings do. If my socks cause me to slide around inside my shoes, I cannot not stop properly and will always feel I'm off balance when I'm trying to set up to hit the ball. Yes, this instability or feeling of instability can cause me to miss shots. I've actually blamed my socks for losing some close matches before because I never felt I could hit my shots consistently without having confidence in my footwork.

Wow....I have never really thought about socks at all. That said I am obsessive about shorts and how they restrict my movement so I guess different people notice different things. I'm really surprised, I just grab whatevers on the top of the thickish sock heap in the sock drawer

BreakPoint
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
As long as they do their job, which is to keep my feet from getting blisters and to fit my feet inside the shoe well, I don't care about the cosmetics.
Cosmetics? I've never even thought about cosmetics in socks since all I buy and wear are white socks. ;)

Toe jamming and/or blisters come from too much tennis/poor footwork, unless your socks are way too slipper/shoes don't fit well.

No it's not from poor footwork nor the wrong fitting shoes. Or else how do you explain wearing the same exact shoes, using the same footwork, but just changing socks and totally eliminating the bad toe jamming I had before with different socks?

Actually, good footwork probably causes more blisters and toe jamming than poor footwork since good footwork means a lot of movement and small steps whereas poor footwork means less movement, so less chances of toe jamming and getting blisters. :grin:

mctennis
06-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Cotton socks, normally WigWam socks. Regular height socks in the Winter and low socks in the Summer. Thorlos make my feet slip inside my skoes because of the material they use to make them.

JMS
06-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Actually, good footwork probably causes more blisters and toe jamming than poor footwork since good footwork means a lot of movement and small steps whereas poor footwork means less movement, so less chances of toe jamming and getting blisters. :grin:

that is thinkng outside the box

Zets147
06-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Black... just do it.

mctennis
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I wear WigWam cotton brand socks. They feel great, don't slip when you sweat in them and they also last a long time too.

Bad Dog
07-10-2007, 06:01 AM
But I agree that socks that give you that 'just-on' feeling are important!

Champion socks give me that “just on” feeling – not too thick, not too thin – fit just right. Thirsty like a towel, absorbing sweat away from feet.

They need to be “relatively” new, and get replaced @ 25 wash cycles or about every six months. Shoes wear out by breaking down while losing cushioning, support and overall comfort on the court – so do all socks. :)

tbini87
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
i wear any brand sock that goes above my ankle but not up to my shin. i generally double up on each foot for added support and cushioning. not too many problems when i do that.

TheShaun
07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
just loaded up on some c9 socks from my recent trip to the US. i love them and all c9 stuff.

dave333
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Adidas no-show.