PDA

View Full Version : Borg bitten during dogfight, withdraws from grass-court exhibition

StealthGnome
06-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Ouch?

Borg bitten during dogfight, withdraws from grass-court exhibition

June 11, 2007

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) -- Bjorn Borg was severely bitten in the leg by a German shepherd while trying to stop a dogfight and withdrew from his first grass-court match in 26 years.

The five-time Wimbledon champion was bitten in his right leg when he tried to pull the dog, Wolf, away from his golden retriever, Lipton, at his home in Sweden over the weekend.

He was scheduled to play 1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash in an exhibition at the Liverpool International this week, marking his first grass-court singles match since losing to John McEnroe in the 1981 Wimbledon final.

"I'm so disappointed that I cannot play at Liverpool," Borg said on the tournament Web site. "I've been really looking forward to this event and have been practicing hard for four months to get ready."

Borg, who received medical treatment at a Stockholm hospital, cannot put any weight on the leg for at least six weeks.

Former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek will replace Borg, who is still expected to attend the event as a spectator.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-borg-dogbite&prov=ap&type=lgns

That's horrible.
Best wishes.

dommod
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Is this really true??

It is bad news then.

Fee
06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
It's as true as it was when the first thread on this topic was posted today.

dommod
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
It is a shame then. I think fans who had hoped to see the mighty Borg will be disappointed. He was great grass champion.

I hope he mends soon.

Mick
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
wow. I hope his right leg will heel well. Borg should have defended himself with a tennis racquet but I guess there wasn't one nearby.

TheNatural
06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
why didnt he just unleah one of those big backhanders he he'd been practicing for 4 months.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
06-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I've read a thread on these forums recently about Gonzalez being bitten in the pinky trying to save a dog or something like that...i'm a firm believer that you can judge a person by the way they treat animals. Borg's willingness to stop a random dog fight gives me a good first impression of him (I'm not really into old generation tennis, although I am starting to)