PDA

View Full Version : Gut Hype!!

Power Game
09-29-2004, 04:45 PM
I tried Klip natural gut and I really think that gut is alot of hype. Don't get me wrong, it plays nice and soft, doesn't move, and all that good stuff. But I think it is a better idea to go with the higher end technifibre strings and the like and save some money...

MChong
09-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Oh, they do play nice and soft, indeed. What you're saying though is why not just get a high end Tecnifibre, say X-One Biphase for 15 a set? Why not just go Bow Brand for 18 a set? In my experience, the natural gut is also more durable so I think that natural gut is actually a better deal.

NoBadMojo
09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
gut is more durable and gut really isnt soft....gut is actually pretty crisp playing but not stiff.

Aoya
09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Gut has the best retention of tension.

bcaz
09-29-2004, 10:56 PM
One of the best things about NG is it doesn't go dead. If it's in the head, even hanging by a thread, it still plays.

topspin
09-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I agree with the replies to this thread. The problem might be the level of play here. Gut is not for everyone, and I'm sure a recreational player would not see the difference and huge advantages of gut over high end synthetics. I mean what's so great about a high end synthetic when it will go dead in just a couple of sets? But recreational players can keep a set of string in a racquet for years. So they simply don't have the opportunity to see the full advantages of gut.

Power Game
09-30-2004, 04:40 AM
I play college tennis, not recreational, and I take my strings seriously...

I like synthetics beacause I don't have to worry about the weather conditions, also I find that tecnifbre strings hold tension pretty good untill they break, they last longer than gut. I don't have to be as careful when stringing ( we hear all these stories about gut popping without play.....), don't worry about storage. The synthetics last a little longer than the gut for me. I think that the tecnifibre (with the free T shirt) compares to Klip gut. That's a $10 difference.
I don't know about Bow gut though, maybe i'll give it a try

NoBadMojo
09-30-2004, 06:32 AM
agree the biphase is the closest thing to gut i have found, but it aint gut and it plays differently..the ball doesnt shoot thru the court like it does w. gut (for me) and there re some other minour differences. but because it kind of plays like gut, it plays the same as gut in humid conditions anyway it just doesnt get ruined. dont know about the durability of the biphase but i am getting twice the life out of nat gut than i was with technifibre nrg and using the gut in a hybrid, the price is very similar. to each their own. to me, if it aint gut it's nylon, and you might as well use prince duraflex for $3.75 if you arent using gut which is what i use in my damp weather frame. but the biphase is a most excellent string IMO and seems to have fixed the tension holding issues of the NRG2

cristian p
09-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Gut definitely isn't for everyone (just like poly isn't for everyone), and some folks may not be as string-sensitive as others. That said, I echo all the other posts commenting about the virtues of gut. It certainly isn't just "hype." I have tried out X1 Biphase, and while it is a nice string, it does not even come remotely close to playing like VS. In contrast to the comment that Technifibre strings hold tension until they break, I have never played with any Technifibre multifilament (and I've played them all) that has held its tension well throughout its life -- and certainly not even close to gut. As Ed noted, X1 Biphase has improved tension stability somewhat, but it's still definitely not gut-level. That said, notwithstanding the fact I only play with gut now, I do think Technifibre strings play very well for a synthetic, that is, before they break or go dead. Definitely, the best group of multifilaments out there (515, nrg2, X One Biphase).

topspin
09-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Power game, my post didn't mean to suggest that you were a recreational player although it did suggest that it was a possibility based on the fact that you suggest that a synthetic string like Tecnifibre is more durable than gut.

I'm no amazing player myself, but I will use up the life out of a synthetic in a matter of a couple of sets. The string will break later on, but I determine durability based on how well the string holds it playabillity and not by when it breaks. Even looking at breakage, the natural gut will last at least 2 and sometimes 3 times longer than a top multi.

My gut recipe is for BDE Perf 16 mains with Gosen JC 16 crosses. This hybrid will give you 80% of an all gut job at half the price. The price is in line with high end multis. So for me it's no contest on which way to go.

I've never experienced any problems with natural gut breaking while just sitting in the racquet. I can see how that might happen with the el cheapo guts, but not with anything like BDE or Bow or Babolat or Klip.

Strings are a very personal thing though and you need to stick with what works for you. I have been recommending my gut hybrid to a buddy for 2 years now and he always shrugged it off. Well finally he did and now he's hooked and doesn't want to go back to synthetics. Since he made the move to natural gut, I have lost a bunch of matches to him whereas I used to beat him regularly. Last night he broke his strings and I'm all out of nat gut so I had to string up some synth for him (Laserfibre Tour). He told me that he will want the gut in his racquet as soon as I get my order (from TW of course, lol).

Power Game
09-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Well, maybe you guys are right. I'll try a Bow gut hybrid.

But I will still take 2 sets of x-1-biphase over 1 set of Klip or VS.

cristian p
09-30-2004, 01:30 PM
I've actually strung a number of relatively affordable gut hybrids for a number of people, the most popular being Babolat Tonic+ mains with a solid core, basic synthetic cross like Prince Synthetic Gut (with or without duraflex) or Gosen OG Sheep Micro (which seems to be popular on these boards as well). If you don't like the "soft" feel of the all gut job, then the solid-core synthetics will provide a little bit more stiffness to the stringbed while maintaining much of the overall playability of gut. The cost string-wise ends up being virtually the same price as the higher end multifilaments like XCel, 515, NXT, nrg2, livewire, and Biphase, and the playability and feel (for most people) is better too because of the gut mains. Of course, Bow Brand is the most affordable gut on the market, so you can also save some more money by using it as well. Even if you decide to go with top of the line VS gut w/ a basic synth cross, the total cost would be a little less than $20 -- which is not far off from what a lot of my higher-end multiflaments cost these days (LiveWire itself is $20). If you ever get hooked on the playability and feel of gut, you'll never go back to using anything else because nothing else comes close.

topspin
09-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree that the Bow is a good value, but I found it a bit too springy for my taste. I think it's because they use a heavier coating than BDE. So I just ordered 4 sets of BDE Perf and, although I like Gosen JC for my crosses, I'm going to try the Gosen Tec gut 16 too. The Gosen Micro is a good choice too of course. The beauty about these Gosen strings is that they look a lot like the natural gut too.

jings
09-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Agree with pretty much all of that. If you're going to try the Bow, and I would recommend it, give a hybrid a go. I find it plays more the way I like in hybrid. Tried syn gut, but prefer by some way Alu Rough in the cross - crisp, but not boardy, tons of feel, nice power, good touch ...

HT
10-01-2004, 11:12 AM
[quote="If you ever get hooked on the playability and feel of gut, you'll never go back to using anything else because nothing else comes close.[/quote]

Before, I when from Luxilon to gut/lux hybrid and now to total gut. I string my PS 85 with BAB VS 15L at 64 lbs. Now, the stick is so amazing, I have great control with extra power on my already forehand weapon. The response on gut makes me expend least effort and energry.

I'm never going back. I've tried all gut and they 're not all the same. Here's my ranking:

1. Babolat VS/ Wilson Gut
2. Bab Tonic
3. BDE
4. Klip and Pacific
5. Bow Brand