PDA

View Full Version : Who in all of tennis history could beat Nadal at FO?

EliteNinja
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Kuerten?
Borg?

At this point in time, he looks invincible.
But what if Borg came back from his dogbite injury and magically was 24 years old again?

helloworld
06-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't think anyone can. Maybe Borg, with years of modern training and medern racquets of course.

Andres
06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Borg, Muster and Kuerten.
Borg and Muster, SPECIALLY is it's a 5 setter.

pj80
06-11-2007, 10:18 PM
alberto berastegui

Fred The Red
06-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Without the discussion of modern equipment etc, 'the 1995 Muster' would certainly have a very very big chance...

He defeated Pioline, Costa, Kafelnikov and Chang to win that French Open!

Prior to that French Open he won Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril where he also defeated guys like: Ferreira, Bruguera, Berastegui, Boris Becker,...

Almost all of those opponents are grand slam tournament winners!

Mad iX
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Muster was the all-time grinder. He didn't have Nadal's spin, but being a lefty as well negates Nadal's advantage there.
Probably wouldn't be a very exciting match, though.

Rhino
06-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm not being funny but I don't think Borg could beat Rafa or Federer. Have you guys actually watched footage of Borg at Roland Garros? I recently watched Borg vs. Vilas, the 1978 final and it is shocking to see after getting used to the pace of the 2007 French Open. I know it's down to wooden racquets, but it really is like they are playing in slow motion. It's worse than a girls match. OK he's amazing within that pace but if you suddenly took a 1978 Borg and put him on court with a 2007 Rafa he wouldn't know what hit him. He just wouldn't be used to that kind of speed and power, he would probably even eat a couple of bagels. Things are SO different now, he wouldn'tbe able to keep up.

Alexandros
06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Rhino, it's obvious that 1978 Borg would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating 2007 Nadal. The question is if we took Borg and put him in this era or Nadal into Borg's era, would Borg be able to match/beat Nadal?

I would be inclined to think that Nadal would lose in Borg's era since one of his primary weapons (heavy, heavy top spin) would be negated by the wooden rackets he would be using and as fit as Nadal may be, Borg was fitter so he would win a war of attrition.

Borg in this era would be give Nadal a run for his money. Think Davydenko except with even better movement, more solid strokes and with a thousand times more mental strength.

The Gorilla
06-12-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm not being funny but I don't think Borg could beat Rafa or Federer. Have you guys actually watched footage of Borg at Roland Garros? I recently watched Borg vs. Vilas, the 1978 final and it is shocking to see after getting used to the pace of the 2007 French Open. I know it's down to wooden racquets, but it really is like they are playing in slow motion. It's worse than a girls match. OK he's amazing within that pace but if you suddenly took a 1978 Borg and put him on court with a 2007 Rafa he wouldn't know what hit him. He just wouldn't be used to that kind of speed and power, he would probably even eat a couple of bagels. Things are SO different now, he wouldn'tbe able to keep up.

Well, they had to play that way, people were just as fast and you had no chnc of hitting a groundstroke winner by poeple with wooden racquets, not to mention the fact that they used pressureless balls, on grass it was a very different story with virtually identical pace to today's hardcourt game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpY6Qe0go0

diggler
06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Rhino, it's obvious that 1978 Borg would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating 2007 Nadal. The question is if we took Borg and put him in this era or Nadal into Borg's era, would Borg be able to match/beat Nadal?

I would be inclined to think that Nadal would lose in Borg's era since one of his primary weapons (heavy, heavy top spin) would be negated by the wooden rackets he would be using and as fit as Nadal may be, Borg was fitter so he would win a war of attrition.

Borg in this era would be give Nadal a run for his money. Think Davydenko except with even better movement, more solid strokes and with a thousand times more mental strength.

With modern rackets, Borg wouldn't win a point. With wood, Borg has a good chance.

Andres
06-12-2007, 07:08 AM
With modern rackets, Borg wouldn't win a point. With wood, Borg has a good chance.
If BOTH play with modern racquets, how come Borg wouldn't win a point? Do you really think he couldn't adapt to the modern tennis, and the power and spin of the new racquets?

He wouldn't hit with the same pace than with a woody, he would adapt to the new conditions. Borg vs. Nadal is a close matchup, unless it's Borg (wood) - Nadal (APD) or Borg (wood) - Nadal (wood)

CyBorg
06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Nadal deserves respect. He's legit. I'm still waiting for the day to come when he plays another elite clay court player.

Lendl played elite claycourt opponents.

Wilander played elite claycourt opponents.

Borg played elite claycourt opponents.

Kuerten played elite claycourt opponents.

Etc.

CyBorg
06-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Borg would be even better with modern rackets. He was comfortable on the baseline and hit with pace and topspin. He was also the fastest player in the history of tennis.

Pete Semper
06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Federer can beat Nadal at RG no doubt. Remember he missed 18 chances to make the break !!! Dude is not invincible.

Serendipitous
11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Soderling......lol. :)

President of Serve/Volley
11-28-2009, 07:56 PM
1995 Thomas Muster over anyone...

kishnabe
11-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Roger Federer, Robin Soderling, Unknown!

stapler
11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I bet that Soderling guy could beat him

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2370/52405462.png

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Based on the objective posts, I say Nadal can only beat himself. :neutral:

What's the next topic? :roll:

MuseFan
11-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I think Soderling could get the job done...

the little dasher
11-28-2009, 10:05 PM

:-? You cannot be serious.

sanchino
11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
With modern equipment, Borg, Muster, Kuerten and Vilas would all give Nadal a run for his money. Back in the day with heavy wood racquets Nadal would have his work cut out for himself.

CyBorg
11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Soderling is way better than Borg. ;)

sanchino
11-28-2009, 10:31 PM

The look on your avitar's face describes the puzzled look on mine after reading your ridiculous statement.

Tsonga#1fan
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM

I think that is meant to be sarcastic. Lets hope so.

Kuerten would probably win with two good hips. I think Muster would over power Nadal. Vilas would give him a tough match and Bjorn Borg would give Nadal a lesson.

Kobble
11-29-2009, 05:15 AM
I don't think any of those guys would have a winning record over Nadal. I saw Muster, and I saw Kuerten through his prime-Nadal is the best I've seen. The best chance is 1995 muster because he can counter Nadal's forehand spin. other than that, Nadal's shot making is far superior. When Nadal goes inside out, or down the line, Muster is in trouble. Kuerten would have problems with the spin. So, point in point out, he will have to work hard.

Mustard
11-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Muster 1995 on clay would find a way to win any vital match. His sheer grind and fitness would have worn anyone down, and his one-handed backhand was never better than that year.

AM95
11-29-2009, 05:28 AM
soderling could do it :D

Tsonga#1fan
11-29-2009, 05:31 AM
soderling could do it :D

That was Soderling's career match.

jean pierre
11-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Vilas, of course.