PDA

View Full Version : How can I strengthen my wrists/forearms??

i.Radical
09-29-2004, 07:39 PM
My wrist and lower forearms are really skinny... And bony.. It's kind of weird... How can I build up muscle in this area?? Preferably with free weights or something?

PusherMan
09-29-2004, 08:35 PM
If you're a small bone ectomorph(naturally thin build), there probably isn't much you can do. Strength workouts like curls and presses, already work the muscles in forearm. I don't think it's necessary to isolate the forearm muscles in a workout routine.

brtennis
10-01-2004, 06:18 AM
there is something called "Arme Wrist Roller". It is great for strengthening forearms.

http://store.yahoo.com/superfoot/arsuwrro.html[/img]

brtennis
10-01-2004, 06:20 AM
The link should be

http://store.yahoo.com/superfoot/arsuwrro.html

netman
10-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Easy. Can be done with dumbbells. Start with light ones, say 2-3 lbs. Do a set of wrist curls, then reverse wrist curls.

Wrist curl. Hold the DB in your hand with palm facing up. Rest the arm on a flat surface with wrist hanging over the edge. Now curl the weight up toward your forearm by bending your wrist forward. Lower and repeat.

Reverse wrist curl. Hold the DB in your hand with palms facing down. Rest the arm on a flat surface with wrist hanging over the edge. Now curl the weight up toward your forearm by bending your wrist backwards. Lower and repeat.

Start with light weight and low reps. Work up slowly as you can injure yourself if you use too much wieght. One set of 15 reps for each arm, each move will suffice. 2-3 times a week. You can do these watching TV.

i.Radical
10-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll try the wrist curls since I have some light weights. Thanks!

perfmode
10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Easy. Can be done with dumbbells. Start with light ones, say 2-3 lbs. Do a set of wrist curls, then reverse wrist curls.

Wrist curl. Hold the DB in your hand with palm facing up. Rest the arm on a flat surface with wrist hanging over the edge. Now curl the weight up toward your forearm by bending your wrist forward. Lower and repeat.

Reverse wrist curl. Hold the DB in your hand with palms facing down. Rest the arm on a flat surface with wrist hanging over the edge. Now curl the weight up toward your forearm by bending your wrist backwards. Lower and repeat.

Start with light weight and low reps. Work up slowly as you can injure yourself if you use too much wieght. One set of 15 reps for each arm, each move will suffice. 2-3 times a week. You can do these watching TV.

You can also do them in public while trying to ignore the masturbation jokes.

netman
10-01-2004, 06:33 PM
perfmode,

Spoken from experience I take it.

perfmode
10-01-2004, 07:47 PM
perfmode,

Spoken from experience I take it.

Yessir. I do those in the weight room at my school. These 35cm forearms didn't come for free.

PS. I'm 6'1", 168#, 6-9% body fat.

ShooterMcMarco
10-02-2004, 12:21 AM
one of the best ways to strengthen you forearms is bruce lee's favorite forearm exercise, the wrist roller. the wrist roller simply is a weight attached to a rope, that is attached to a "scooter" handle like bar. all you do is hold out the bar in front of you parallel to the ground and roll up the weight up and down. start out with 3 lbs or so, then add weight. it's a killer for your arms, but will provide lots of strength and gripping power

Ronaldo
10-02-2004, 07:36 AM
http://www.ambersports.com/hhe004.htm
http://www.ambersports.com/145ps.htm
http://www.ambersports.com/107.htm

Phil
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
one of the best ways to strengthen you forearms is bruce lee's favorite forearm exercise, the wrist roller. the wrist roller simply is a weight attached to a rope, that is attached to a "scooter" handle like bar. all you do is hold out the bar in front of you parallel to the ground and roll up the weight up and down. start out with 3 lbs or so, then add weight. it's a killer for your arms, but will provide lots of strength and gripping power

For a wrist roller, better yet, go down to your local hardware supply store (or Home Depot) and buy a thick, solid lead pipe around 18 inches long, and ask the store to cut a groove in the center for the rope that will hold the weight(s). Make sure you use enough rope so that if you're standing on a bed or crate, the weight touches the floor. Then, stand on said bed/crate and roll the weight up and then down-if you can do it, and you probably WON'T be able to do so the first time-do it again. I guarantee, your forearms will scream.

perfmode
10-04-2004, 03:36 AM
How heavy should the weight be?

Phil
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
It should be heavy enough so that you can roll it up and down once (while standing on a crate/bed) WITH SOME DIFFICULTY. So the weight would vary depending on the strength/fitness of the individual. Of course, if you've got a pair of "35 mm" guns, I would suggest starting with 10 lbs/5 kg and see how that goes. You can always adjust the weight from that point. Increase the weight every 3-4 weeks until you're up to 25 lbs. at that point, don't add more weight-just more reps (a single rep being a complete up/down roll).

ShooterMcMarco
10-05-2004, 05:33 PM
in addition to what phil said, when you roll up the weight, make your wrist do long archs. Meaning, let your wrist rotate all the way through until it locks. don't do it too fast either, it should be a moderate pace that allows your forearms to work real hard. 3-4 min between sets should be good because your arms WILL tire

netman
10-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Just remember that the wrist is a complex joint whose primary purpose is fine motor control. If you overload it you can cause all kinds of problems likes cysts, torn ligaments and the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome. Go easy on the weight and build up slowly. Make sure you use proper form and that the forearm muscles are doing the work. Wrist problems like carpal tunnel take years to develop and its a real bummer to get old and find out you trashed your wrists doing strengthening exercises improperly. Makes good money for neurosurgeons, but screws you.

Wrists get a constant daily workout so make sure you spare them further stress as you target your forearms.

CoASH
11-17-2004, 12:44 AM
wrist curls, plate curls, plate pinches, 2 plate pinch gripping, board grips, rolling thunder

Marius_Hancu
11-17-2004, 03:49 AM
I'd say check my posting in this thread:

Great Fitness Sites:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

for general conditioning issues.
As mentioned in this thread, it's better to take care of your whole body.

Several wrist/arm exercises are mentioned there at:
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/05_96/nirscpa.htm
even if you don't have tennis elbow, they're valid.

wondershowzen
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Does anyone else have problems with their homemade wrist roller exerciser with the rope rolling up toward one side more than the other, and having to manually tilt the thing so the rope goes around basically in the center between your hands?

this is my first post... any help would greatly be appreciated.

i just bought at home depot a couple 14" dowels (cut to size)-- drilled a hole in the center, nice and good... regular width nylon rope (3/8 inch I think..?) and a 5 pounder on the end.

i just can't get the damn rope to roll up evenly... it's obviously because of the knot getting in the way... but is there a way around this... or do i have to buy one of the $30 contraptions... which i don't want to do. :)

-chris

woody6.1
06-01-2006, 07:50 AM
read a mens health magazine. . or get a subscription even better