PDA

View Full Version : help me string my second racquet please

RedGinseng
09-29-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing another Prostaff 6.0 95. There are many racquets which are more forgiving but the racquet helps me get more focused so I'm trying to cop another one. (I have one Prostaff 6.0 95)

I'm not a frequent stringbreaker and recently I hit more flat shots off the ground (sometimes I add moderate spin when needed) I will get my second one strung in case the string on my first one breaks on court and I'm trying to use my first Prostaff frame until the string breaks, then move to my second one. In this case do I have to raise the tension of my second one because it will be unused until the string on my first racquet breaks? ( I think it will take several weeks for the string on my first one to break)

I just want to know if People who have more than 2 racquets get them strung at different tension or not

Thank you in advance.

Frankc
09-30-2004, 04:58 AM
I know of three scenarios- all popular:1) string all the same at the same time - consistent; or 2) string at the same tension, but only as each breaks (you get different feels that way); or string at diffrent tensions or with different string setups.
For me - I use a very predictable frame pattern (18X20), Prestige, and I string at a similar tension with different string set ups - I then have options to go to with varying conditions. I do know that some top players like different tensions ( vary by 2-4 pounds) and some not - all the same. I like three frames because then I get three different set-ups - for example: a softer set -up for board practice and indoors or breezy days or days when I am getting over-popped , and a stiffer co-polymer set-up as my usual game day racket - but that is just me.

Rackethead
09-30-2004, 07:03 AM
If you're not a big stringbreaker, you should just use the racket A about N hrs, then switch to the other racket B. The racket A can be your backup. When you put N hours on racket B, restring racket A, and use B as your backup.

This way you are always playing with fresh strings.

If you are a frequent string breaker, though, this may not be best, because you could break strings on racket A, switch to your backup, then break those right away too because they are old.

What you use for N depends on your preferences, style of play, how long a string usually lasts etc. I would suggest 50 hours but some people only get 10 hours out of a string (lots of long, hard, extended rallys) others may get 70-200 hours (ball is missed, out, or hit lightly).

RedGinseng
09-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Thank you FrankC and Rackedhead a lot for giving good advice. I'm not a big stringbreaker at all. not a heavy hitter so I usually cut it out when the string is completely dead. It seems like durability isn't a big problem to me. I got an Radical Tour OS strung but I don't wanna play with it anymore so I will string my prostaff racquet B at a little higher tension and use it as a backup racquet. I might need strings which hold tension well. Anyway I will try different set ups you guys told me. Thanks again :wink: