PDA

View Full Version : "Off-Court" training....on the court???

VictorS.
09-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I am currently playing a lot of tennis, over 2hrs/5 days every week. I'm taking the sport relatively seriously and am looking for any edge I can get to improve. Obviously, all of the pros do a lot of work in the gym to improve their footwork, strength, and stamina. I currently have access to a gym, however because of work constraints....I really don't have enough time to play tennis for a couple hours, then hit the gym. I was thinking about doing some drills and fitness exercises perhaps before or after I play for like an hour or so. For instance, I was thinking about doing some jump rope, carioca-type footwork drills and maybe light-plyometric exercises. What do you guys think? Any of you tried doing this? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

atatu
09-30-2004, 08:26 AM
All of that will help, not hurt you. However, if you want strength gains why not just buy a good bench and some dumbells ? Do your weights first thing in the morning before work and you'll feel energized and it won't interfere with your tennis. See the Book "Core Performance" for some ideas of what to do with weights and also on the court for conditioning.