PDA

View Full Version : Federer's 1st serve percentage...

The Gorilla
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
...Was a very healthy 64% versus Nadal, so stop going on, and on and on about it.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day20/1127ms.html

OrangeOne
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
...Was a very healthy 64% versus Nadal, so stop going on, and on and on about it.

It's the set-by-set percentage that people have noticed. It was abysmal in the first two sets (38% and 57% respectively - average in the 40s), and had it not have been, he could have been 2 sets to 0. Most people acknowledge that he was going to need a lead like that to have even a chance at Nadal.

Serving at 70 & 80% in the last two sets, by which time Nadal was 'on', wasn't helping him when he gave away a break here and there.

LarougeNY
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I don't even think it hit 40% let alone 38% in the first set, and had he won that set it could've been a different match. Who knows what confidence and a set lead could do to Roger in the final of the french.

LarougeNY
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM
It's the set-by-set percentage that people have noticed. It was abysmal in the first two sets (38% and 57% respectively - average in the 40s), and had it not have been, he could have been 2 sets to 0. Most people acknowledge that he was going to need a lead like that to have even a chance at Nadal.

Serving at 70 & 80% in the last two sets, by which time Nadal was 'on', wasn't helping him when he gave away a break here and there.

Exactly. I felt the same way, I wish he did take the lead.
Surprising, I though his 1st serve % in the first set was about 28 or 30%. Certainly seemed like it.

Vision84
06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I think Eurosport showed it at 33% in the first set.

The Gorilla
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM

57% is decent, 60% is th benchmark really.

OrangeOne
06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
57% is decent, 60% is th benchmark really.

It's decent... but he's playing Nadal. Decent doesn't necessarily get the job done.

The key is that he only averaged 4X % for those two sets, and if he'd averaged excellent (over 60), and had the 'putaway' FH working too, well he'd probably have been (comfortably) 2 sets to 0 up. From 2-0 up, I'd say he would have a better-than-even chance of winning the match, whereas at 1-1 it really never looked like he was really going to get in it.

CyBorg
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Nicely said.

Alex132
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM

yeah right....didn't he get down to 25% in first set ? Thats what espn said.

The Gorilla
06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah right....didn't he get down to 25% in first set ? Thats what espn said.

maybe after 4 serves he was at 25%, which is meaningless.

crazylevity
06-12-2007, 10:43 PM
RG Official website listed first set at 28%.

That is ABYSMAL.

rfprse
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
RG Official website listed first set at 28%.

That is ABYSMAL.

Yeah, that's what I heard during nbc's coverage, and it was horrible, indeed.
It was one of the reasons why I thought Federer couldn't collect himself to take advantage of all those break chances during the 1st set. [Apart from Nadal's good playing and Federer's less than normal quality of playing during the break points]
With his struggle to hold without good serving (which also prevents him from even executing the game plan of dominating/attackng from the start in his own service game), he seemed to be too concerned about how to hold his game once he broke, instead of concentrating on breaking.

And I was quite annoyed by McEnroe's harping on the lack of s & v play from Federer during the 1st set. I thought he's pretty o.k. commentator until that day, but it was quite ridiculous of him to blame someone on not s&ving when he couldn't find the first serve....

CyBorg
06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
And I was quite annoyed by McEnroe's harping on the lack of s & v play from Federer during the 1st set. I thought he's pretty o.k. commentator until that day, but it was quite ridiculous of him to blame someone on not s&ving when he couldn't find the first serve....

Mac did make a valid point about Federer not being aggressive several times on Nadal's second serve. Once Roger stayed far back behind the baseline and made the laziest return I've ever seen.

TheTruth
06-14-2007, 07:21 AM
I don't even think it hit 40% let alone 38% in the first set, and had he won that set it could've been a different match. Who knows what confidence and a set lead could do to Roger in the final of the french.

Didn't he have a 6-1 lead in the first set at the French last year?