PDA

View Full Version : Federer and the French...MENTAL?

FedSampras
06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
All sports have 4 main areas - technical, tactical, physical and mental. Tennis is no exception and the mental part of tennis is usually the deciding factor that tips the scales in the match.

Fed is perfect in the 3 other areas ( that's why he is the BEST/on his way to GOAT status) but I think not winning the French Open is more of a mental thing for Federer. Don't get me wrong, Fed is one of the mentally toughest players I have ever seen but it seems he plays tentative, less agressive and error prone tennis on clay and still does not have that belief deep inside that he can win at Roland Garros.

Federer is the ultimate tennis player ( he has the most complete game among past and present tennis champions ( men and women) and has the game to dominate and beat Nadal at Roland Garros. But as of now, the mental aspect is preventing him from winning the French.

FiveO
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Mental? More of match-up problem and a very specific one, so much so that it throws a monkey wrench into the normal flow of Fed's A-game and results in taking Fed completely out of his comfort zone on that surface.

Does this result in a mental issue? Yeah, doubt. Doubt that doesn't rear its ugly head against anyone else on any other surface. Doubt breeds indecision and indecisive application of tactics, shot selection, shot execution, loss in belief, etc., making it appear that the wheels fall off the Fed Ferrari. So ultimately it proves only that even those with almost unthinkable ability do have an achiles heel, a point at which everything is disrupted and breaks, but to me it can be traced back to a simple, physical match-up problem on one specific surface. In my heart of hearts should they meet on grass or hardcourts that "Mental" issue won't be seen because that single, repetitive physical match-up won't be accessible to Nadal as often as it is on red clay.

PrinceO3TourOS
06-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, I agree with you FedSampras :D The problem of Fed on Clay against Rafa is 90% Mental and 10% Tactical :lol:

darkdreaming
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
five o ...your assessment and your post is spot on ...really spot on ..i ve seldom come here ...and enjoyed a thoroughly well stated and thought out post ....i do concur with you ...fed pbs is mental insofar as the match up pbs ...leads to doubts and indecision and so on ...and at times i thought even when the match up was less of an issue on faster surfaces the doubting mindset remained till the tennis master cup ...

thanks for the read.

Lleytian3
06-13-2007, 01:41 PM
i reelie do like this post/thread
it is a reelie good one and very good anyalysis
thanks

edmondsm
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Yep, mental. The match-up might be at the root of it, I don't know, but Fed was having no trouble getting break points early in that match and continued to blow all but one of them. What was it, 16 of 17 break points lost? Ouch. That to me screams 100% mental.

Nadal_Freak
06-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Yep, mental. The match-up might be at the root of it, I don't know, but Fed was having no trouble getting break points early in that match and continued to blow all but one of them. What was it, 16 of 17 break points lost? Ouch. That to me screams 100% mental.
Nadal wasn't playing well for the first 2 sets. He picked it up finally in the 3rd set.

FedererUberAlles
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
five o ...your assessment and your post is spot on ...really spot on ..i ve seldom come here ...and enjoyed a thoroughly well stated and thought out post ....i do concur with you ...fed pbs is mental insofar as the match up pbs ...leads to doubts and indecision and so on ...and at times i thought even when the match up was less of an issue on faster surfaces the doubting mindset remained till the tennis master cup ...

thanks for the read.

i... a aa ... gree .. .. ...

thank ...s ...for ...the..reed...

AJK1
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Federer finally admitted after the RG that he has difficulty with Nadal being a lefty, and he said it was always awkward for him.

FREDDY
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
unfortunately, it has became mental for federer. until he lets go and accepts that it's something he will never achieve will the opportunity arise. it sounds like illogical, but think about it all the weight of winning will be gone.