PDA

View Full Version : Basic Workout

Amit
09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi i was wondering about some basic things i could do to increase my strength and even loose a little weight. Something along the lines of situps, pushups, squats etc... It would be nice if you could also indicate how many to do and how many sets. Thanks in advance!

Amit

VictorS.
09-29-2004, 08:46 PM
For tennis, I think lunges and step-ups are best for improving leg strength. I would go with light weights and do 15/12/10 sets. If you look at great tennis players, like federer, they have very strong legs...however not many of them are built like running backs (except maybe serena).

jun
09-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Core strength is important. Bench Press, push ups, different types of sit ups. Squats. Lunges. I personally think squats improved my leg more than lunges did.

Anyways, to lose weight, you will have to incorportate both cardio, and strength. You will also have to watch what you eat

Amit
09-30-2004, 03:02 PM
can some one list some of these different types of sit ups? And the whole thing about crunches is it more effective than full sit ups because there way too easy and i always that that was a gimmick. It would also be nice if i could get a site with some instrucitons and muscle gorups of these simple excercises. Thanks!

atatu
10-01-2004, 07:41 AM
This site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm has everything you need. Click on the abs link.

netman
10-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Amit, crunches are not easy if you do them correctly. More importantly they put much less stress on the spine. A regular sit up can put as much as twice the pressure necessary to rupture a spinal disk on your lumbar disks. Crunches done right remain below this threshold.

Try this variation. Place your finger tips on your temples. Using only your abs, raise your upper body off the floor. You should not rise very much. Do not let your spine round (bend forward). Take 6 seconds to raise, hold it 6 seconds in the raised position, then take 6 seconds to lower back to the floor. See how many of these you can do with perfect form. It might surprise you.

See the "Pollution of body building" thread below for some more good advice.

Amit
10-01-2004, 09:07 PM
wow great! thanks guys i never looked at my excercises this way! They are really something elce if you do them right! I just have to get the right ones and make shure i get my lacking muscle groups up to speed. Thanks alot!