PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Sampras in 94 US Open

NadalForever
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
How did he loose to an unkown player Yzaga in five sets in the fourth round. Was Sampras injured or was Yzaga playing flawless tennis and was fighting like there was no tomorrow. If the latter is the case then does it not show there was way more depth in tennis last decade with everybody having more talent and mental toughness. Let's remember that Sampras was at his prime in 94. Let's discuss.

tennishead93
06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
u are correct. that it is a mystery to me. he won his first major in 90 had a two yr drought(i believe) and then went on a major winning spree.

Chadwixx
06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Yzaga played amazing, kept sampras deep all match and hit the pass when needed. It was a pretty good match. He had a very nice slice.

tennishead93
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=yzaga
only 5'7". i could go pro with that height. but then again look at rochuses

pj80
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
what happened was that it was his first tournament since winning wimbledon, back from injury. He also suffered from exhaustion

MrCLEAN
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I think I remember he was vomiting and everything in this match too.

As to the 2 year "drought", most (including Pete) would agree that he wasn't really ready to win the USO in 1990, he just got hot at the right time. It took him a few more years to get to the point where he could play that 1990 USO level game ALL THE TIME, and the killer mindset to boot. After that, it was lights out for the next 6 years or so.

Scorch
06-13-2007, 02:17 AM
The match where Sampras was vomiting was a first round against Corretja I think, not the one against Yzaga.

I don't remember the Yzaga match but the Corretja match was one of the most dramatic I have ever seen it was brilliant TV!

rod99
06-13-2007, 03:07 AM
i think he was also suffering from blisters on his foot from not having played since wimbledon.

jmsx521
06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Yzaga was very good at times. There was one tournament at around that time where he knocked out 2-3 top players in the same tournament.

Moose Malloy
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
How did he loose to an unkown player Yzaga in five sets in the fourth round. Was Sampras injured or was Yzaga playing flawless tennis and was fighting like there was no tomorrow. If the latter is the case then does it not show there was way more depth in tennis last decade with everybody having more talent and mental toughness. Let's remember that Sampras was at his prime in 94. Let's discuss.

Sampras injured himself in Davis Cup shortly after Wimbledon that year & didn't play any events that summer. It was questionable if he would even play the Open that year, but entered anyway, despite not playing any matches(or even practicing much, since he was trying to heal) for 2 months.

He managed to get to the 4th Round & was up 2-1 in sets vs Yzaga before he hit the wall physically. He had severe blisters & was just plain exahausted. Still almost pulled it out.

This was basically the equiavalent of Federer being exhausted in his loss to Nalbandian at the '05 Masters Cup(he played there without much preparation due to injury)

Injuries happen, but unfortunately Sampras got injured close to a slam. It happened a few other times in his career, who knows how many slams he could have won if he wasn't injured at inopportune times.

here is a post match interview from that match:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=13304

urban
06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Yzaga was a good, effective hard court player, i think he beat the young Sampras earlier at USO. He had some good matches against Becker and Lendl, i remember him playing the Forest Hills tournament.

Chadwixx
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=13304

Sounds like serena williams post match, not one complimatory thing to say, all about me.

VGP
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
It was a combination of Sampras being tired and Yzaga playing great.

One of my favorite matches of all time.

Don't be dissing my boy Jaime he's got wins over Agassi, Becker, Chang, Courier, Edberg, Korda, and Sampras.

He's 3-4 against Sampras.