PDA

View Full Version : Coria desperate

Rabbit
06-13-2007, 07:22 AM
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -Guillermo Coria, once the No. 3-ranked tennis player in the world, is suing a New Jersey supplement manufacturer, claiming its steroid-contaminated vitamins led to a positive drug test and a suspension that cost him millions.
In a trial set to begin Monday in New Jersey Superior Court in New Brunswick, N.J., Coria will seek to clear his name and will ask a jury to award him in excess of $10 million for lost prize money and endorsements, his lawyers said.
"Guillermo was suspended at the time when he was rising to the top of the world in tennis ... when he was really most valuable," attorney Will Nystrom said Tuesday.
He said Coria was 19 when he was suspended in July 2001 after he had a positive urine test for steroids while playing at a tournament in Barcelona, Spain.
Nystrom said the only supplement Coria was taking then was a multivitamin made by Universal Nutrition of New Brunswick.
if ((typeof tag300_4) == 'function') {tag300_4();} The Argentine player's family had the multivitamins tested by a lab, which found them to be contaminated with steroids. That led the governing authority for men's tennis, the Association of Tennis Professionals, to reduce his suspension from two years to the seven months that had already passed.
Coria then had to battle back in the rankings.
"He grew up in a village in Argentina. He was named after (tennis great) Guillermo Villas. His father was a tennis coach and he's been playing tennis all his life," Nystrom said.
Now 25, Coria worked his way back up in the sport and was ranked in the Top 10 in 2003, 2004 and 2005, his lawyer said. Injuries have since kept Coria out of the Top 100, and he didn't play in the just-concluded French Open.
Since the lawsuit was filed in 2003, Universal Nutrition has admitted in court that it made steroid-containing products and multivitamins on the same machines on the same day at its factory, Nystrom said.
A spokesman for Universal Nutrition did not immediately return calls seeking comment. The company also does business under the name Universal Protein Supplement Corp., according to Coria's lawyers.
As a result of his suspension, his lawyer said Coria lost bonuses he could have earned based on his ranking and tournament performances under endorsement contracts he had with Prince, a maker of tennis rackets, and Adidas, the sneaker and apparel manufacturer.
Nystrom said Coria also missed out on endorsements from companies outside the sports world, including ones that pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to have tennis players wear patches with corporate logos on their shirts.
Coria, who is from Venado Tuerto, about 200 miles west of Buenos Aires, plans to attend the trial with his wife and parents. It should last about 10 days.
--------End of Story---------

Looks like since Coria lost all his confidence and can't serve, he's decided to sue his way to financial security. What is it with the water in Argentina? ;)

ja_
06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
He sued them 5 years ago.

Andres
06-13-2007, 07:38 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=138525

;)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Next he will be filing a lawsuit against the French Federation for choking against Gaudio in the 2004 French Final.

El Diablo
06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
He's got an excellent case and I don't blame him for pursuing this. The company has essentially admitted culpability with its sloppy methods allowing the supplement batch to be tainted.

baseliner87
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Next he will be filing a lawsuit against the French Federation for choking against Gaudio in the 2004 French Final.

yeah he prob will to.

LarougeNY
06-14-2007, 06:41 PM
He's got an excellent case and I don't blame him for pursuing this. The company has essentially admitted culpability with its sloppy methods allowing the supplement batch to be tainted.

It is a legit case. If he doesn't walk away with 10 million, which he probably won't, he's definitely getting at least 5. Hopefully it isn't desperation, I would love to see him come back to the tour. Maybe get some revenge on gaudio, but I like both so it would be a great match to watch.

Phil
06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Seems like he has the NJ supplements company dead to rights. From the article that Rabbit posted:

"Universal Nutrition has admitted in court that it made steroid-containing products and multivitamins on the same machines on the same day at its factory..."

But as other posters commented, he's not gonna walk out of there with $10 mm. And whatever the court awards him, a large percentage is going to go to his lawyers-maybe 1/3?

baseliner87
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
anyone think that he will ever come back to the tour?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
anyone think that he will ever come back to the tour?

In spite of the 2004 Final of the French Open, I like watching him play and I hope he gets back really soon.

TENNIS_99
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
He's not going to get nearly as that much and who knows when it will be in his pocket. Better go and play when his name is still in the newspaper. If I want to pick someone out of the baseline banging games(has its share of boring) to watch, Coria is the one I don't want to miss. good news though!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I hope he gets Millions

ElSuegro
06-14-2007, 07:49 PM
He may have somewhat of a case, but it sure looks like a desperate stab at grabbing some big bucks since he doesn't earn them anymore.

Since when is a person "really at their most valuable" at age 19?

He finished in the top 10 three straight years after the suspension. I'm sure the endorsements were quite lucrative those years.

The reason his earnings are not as high now is that his performance is not as high. You can't blame steroids taken six years ago for that.

soggyramen
06-14-2007, 07:50 PM

took the words right out of my mouth

tennis4losers
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I wouldnt balme him for suing the drug compant though

callitout
06-15-2007, 02:19 AM
If I stood to lose 10 mil, I might consider 3 possibilities.
1.Not taking supplements unless i had a documented vitamin deficiency.
2.Doing some testing on my supplements before a positive test not after.
3.Inquiring with someone--like the ATP whether said supplement is likely to cause a problem...that way when a positive test came back I would have a leg to stand on.
Finally---agree that Coria would have more endorsment opportunities if he could hit a second serve and had the courage to consistently win at the pro level.

zapvor
06-15-2007, 02:21 AM
i hope he gets 10million so he is happy, confident, and relieved, and with some financial security feels good enough to return to tour.

ja_
06-15-2007, 04:29 AM
If I stood to lose 10 mil, I might consider 3 possibilities.
1.Not taking supplements unless i had a documented vitamin deficiency.
2.Doing some testing on my supplements before a positive test not after.
3.Inquiring with someone--like the ATP whether said supplement is likely to cause a problem...that way when a positive test came back I would have a leg to stand on.
Finally---agree that Coria would have more endorsment opportunities if he could hit a second serve and had the courage to consistently win at the pro level.
He was in the top 10 for 3 years straight. What's your definition of consistency?

Andres
06-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Don't even bother. Some people just started to watch tennis a year ago.

For those people, Coria is a midget who cant serve to save his life, Hewitt is a guy who gives Nadal fits and loses everywhere else, Gaudio, and Safin is a cool, good looking russian who won't win anything. Ever.

Henman? Isn't he Prince Charles' cousin? Has he ever achieved anything?

Kuerten?? Who the hell is Kuerten? Is he even in the top1000? Why the fuss about a guy who played 7 events and lost 5 1st rounds!?

Dilettante
06-15-2007, 04:56 AM

Coria has won 9 single titles.

callitout
06-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Im not going to argue credentials for evaluting tennis on an anonymous tennis forum with anyone....but I find it amusing when people laud the sanctity of their own opinions on a free message board with no barriers to entry.

I've seen Coria play since the '98 Eddie Herr. He teamed with Nalbandian to win the doubles. He was a very impressive player in '03 to '05. But he was only 23 at the time....So no I dont regard playing at the highest level for 3 years as consistent.

Andres
06-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Coria has won 9 single titles.
Including 2 Master Series shields, a final on grass, a title on carpet, and a harcourt MS final.

ja_
06-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Im not going to argue credentials for evaluting tennis on an anonymous tennis forum with anyone....but I find it amusing when people laud the sanctity of their own opinions on a free message board with no barriers to entry.

I've seen Coria play since the '98 Eddie Herr. He teamed with Nalbandian to win the doubles. He was a very impressive player in '03 to '05. But he was only 23 at the time....So no I dont regard playing at the highest level for 3 years as consistent.
I didn't ask you about all that. I asked what was your definition.

diegaa
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Don't even bother. Some people just started to watch tennis a year ago.

For those people, Coria is a midget who cant serve to save his life, Hewitt is a guy who gives Nadal fits and loses everywhere else, Gaudio, and Safin is a cool, good looking russian who won't win anything. Ever.

Henman? Isn't he Prince Charles' cousin? Has he ever achieved anything?

Kuerten?? Who the hell is Kuerten? Is he even in the top1000? Why the fuss about a guy who played 7 events and lost 5 1st rounds!?

good post.