PDA

View Full Version : Question about Breaking Cross strings

jmkatz
03-15-2004, 08:03 AM
I have been playing for over 20 years and when I break a string it is usually a main..generally in the center...however lately I have been breaking a cross string...I use Gamma Live Wire XP 16g...i string at about 66.. I string my own racquets on a gamma progression II...

Any ideas why this is happenning?

Thanx

Rabbit
03-15-2004, 08:17 AM
When I used Tecnifibre, the same thing happened consistently. On a multi, the crosses get frayed from the movement of the mains and break before the mains.

Eug
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Yep, Rabbit is right. Most multis like tecnifibre ematrix, NRG2, Sensation NXT and so on break on the crosses. I find it quite sexy when I break crosses.....riiiiiiiiiiight :)

Hawaii 5.0
03-15-2004, 07:50 PM
It is that the strings will fray faster due to the type of string but in general cross breaking is caused from pulling awwy or out of shots(usually groundies) like the inside out fh or bh and akward volleys and very flat almost underspinning overheads and serves.Becuase if you have very good form the crosses shouldn't move at all and thus shouldn't break first.I've broken crosses first, but almost always in hybrid's and almost always it's a non multi/multi combo.Still a huge majority of string breakages should be mains.