PDA

View Full Version : surface winning streaks

Jack Romeo
06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
we can finally stop hearing about nadal's 81 match clay court streak or even evert's 125 match clay court streak now that the clay season is over. now i'm sure we'll be talking about federer's ongoing grass court streak.

but i have a question: who has the longest grass court streak on either men's or women's tour?

i know that navratilova won 6 straight wimbledons but i think she did lose a few other grass court matches in that span. remember that the australian open was also played on grass before 1988 and looking at the record books, martina never won consecutive australian opens.

Rhino
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Interesting question, I know that Martina Navratilova held an overall 41-match win streak at Wimbledon but I don't know what she did on grass between tourneys...

Moose Malloy
06-13-2007, 09:48 AM
^it was a 48 match win streak

Rhino
06-13-2007, 09:52 AM
^it was a 48 match win streak

Are you sure...? Check this page, it says the Navratilator had a 41 match streak...
http://www.monicaseles.de/bio_english.htm

it could be wrong though.

Moose Malloy
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
well I know she won Wimbledon 6 straight times('82-'87) & was in the final the 7th year('88). I'm not good with math, but isn't that 48 matches?

Rhino
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
^^well I checked this...
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp
...and I count 47, because it seems she had a bye in 1982.

Rhino
06-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Sorry that link doesn't work, you can select Wimbledon from here though...
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/PlayerActivity.asp?PlayerID=140007

Rhino
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
By the way if you check her Eastbourne results during the same period - also grass - she had a 35 match winning streak there too, but she lost in the final in 1987, so it was only 5 in a row there.

Moose Malloy
06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
here are martina's longest grasscourt win streaks:

46 matches-won 7 grass events from June '83(Eastbourne) to her loss in December '84(Australian Open SF to Sukova, Martina was going for the calendar slam also that event) only lost 3 sets during those 46 matches. She started another grasscourt streak the next year.

47 matches-won 7 grass events from June '85(Eastbourne) to her loss in January '87(Australian Open Final to Mandlikova)

So Martina at one point won 93 of her last 94 matches on grass.

Guess this is yet more evidence that the grass in Australia played differently from that at Wimbledon. So no one can really guess how players would do if 3of the 4 majors were still on grass.

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/activity.asp?player=20000724

krosero
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
here are martina's longest grasscourt win streaks:

46 matches-won 7 grass events from June '83(Eastbourne) to her loss in December '84(Australian Open SF to Sukova, Martina was going for the calendar slam also that event) only lost 3 sets during those 46 matches. She started another grasscourt streak the next year.

47 matches-won 7 grass events from June '85(Eastbourne) to her loss in January '87(Australian Open Final to Mandlikova) And just because I like to bookend streaks: the last time she lost on grass before starting the first streak was the 1982 Australian Open final (lost to Chris Evert Lloyd).

krosero
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I have also read that Martina won 59 straight matches on British grass ending with her loss to Sukova in 1987.

I'll check that, though, in a few days when I get access again to the New York Times archive.

Jack Romeo
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
seems like maybe the grass in australia was slower than at wimbledon. is this correct? navratilova's record in australia was nowhere near her record at wimbledon or the us open; in fact, it is more similar to her record at the french open. she had losses to evert, sukova and mandlikova during a time when she was supposed to be unbeatable. also, look at mats wilander's record in australia - he won it twice on grass, once on rebound ace. that's the same number of french open trophies he has. but mats never won wimbledon.

krosero
06-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I got Martina's record on British grass wrong; it was even higher.

This is from the New York Times, dated June 21, 1987.

Even though she lost to Helena Sukova in the final of Pilkington Glass Championships at Eastbourne, England, today, she remains the best grass-court player among the women. She had won the tournament for five consecutive years and had won 69 matches in a row on English grass courts.