PDA

View Full Version : shoe size help

YonexDude
06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
In my tennis shoes, i replace my stock insoles with orthodics (custom footbeds) made by a foot doctor for me because of my super high arches. If i don't wear the orthodics, then my feet roll inwards, and that makes my ankles, knees, and hips all roll inwards, which gives be lower back problems (or so the doctor says, all i know is that my lower back hurts a lot). my problem is that i still cant find a decent shoe to put these insoles in-- i basically need a size 12.75 shoe because my feet are about 12.5 and i need extra space for the insole.

These are the shoes I've tried already:

-Diadora Speedzone at size 13, which I disliked because the tounge moved around too much during play, i didn't get much traction, and the toebox and midfoot were too loose.

-Adidas ClimaUltimate III at size 12.5 was way too small. I couldn't even get the insole to fit inside the shoe well, but when i had it wedged in i couldn't fit my foot in the shoe. Tried stock insole and it didn't have enough support. Also gave me terrible blisters to the point i had to switch back to the diadoras.

-Yonex SHT-305 at size 13 and the shoe was a good fit in the heel and midfoot, but there was WAY too much room in the toebox. I slid around inside the toebox too much to warrant buying these shoes again.

does anyone know a type of shoe that I will be happy with? this is a difficult position that I'm in, as all tennis shops around me either don't carry my size, only stock wilson shoes (that i hear are terrible), or are terrible overpriced. So, I'm trying to research as best i can before i buy new shoes off of tennis warehouse. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Voltron
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
If you don't scuff or wear the shoes out, TW will let you send them back for a refund. I would try the Barricade IVs (which are bigger than the other barricades IMHO). Another one that I've heard is good is the Yonex SHT 304. Hope that helps.

bad_call
06-13-2007, 09:52 AM
maybe check out the NB models...since they seem to be available in varying widths and stocked in different stores.

davidcal
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
YonexDude, the NB 1002 may work well for you in size 13. I found it a little small and I am a true size 13.

Also you might want to try a rolfer for your back. Look for a Certified Advanced Rolfer. If you're in a city of any size you should be able to find one. It's a deep tissue massage that basically does what a chiropractor would do only much more slowly and with greater efficacy, at least IMO. Basically it is designed to change your balance and posture. If an accident caused your back trouble they may be reluctant to work on you.

The rolfer may want you to sign up for 10 sessions to start. Tell them you'll try it for three and see what you think. It's not inexpensive ($110 - 125 typically per session) and often they don't take insurance. The good news is, for me anyway, it did what regular doctors couldn't do. I am tall and tight and had lower back problems for years. With semi regular maintenance from a rolfer I haven't had much trouble with my back in ten years.

heycal
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
If you don't scuff or wear the shoes out, TW will let you send them back for a refund.

Yes, this is true, and I've done this from TW myself. So you could find a model or models you like, order a couple of different sizes, try them on, and keep the ones you like while sending back the ones that don't fit as well.

mctennis
06-15-2007, 06:06 PM
maybe check out the NB models...since they seem to be available in varying widths and stocked in different stores.

I've not found a NB style that has enough cushioning for me. I have inserts also and am having a terrible time finding some that work for me. I am now measured to a size 14 with my inserts. I can't play until I find some decent cushioned shoes that won't kill my feet after playing 2+ hours at a time. Some feel great when you walk around on them but not worth a dollar once you use them for a few sets. Then you can't return them so you're out ton of money and shoes you can't get rid of. I feel your pain YonexDude.
The Yonex shoes look like they may work but you said you didn't like them so now I'm worried I'll have the same problem.

heycal
06-15-2007, 07:57 PM
. Some feel great when you walk around on them but not worth a dollar once you use them for a few sets. Then you can't return them so you're out ton of money and shoes you can't get rid of..

Yeah, this a problem. It's often hard to tell how a shoe will be until after it's too late. I wish there was a demo program for shoes...

YonexDude
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
i ended up buying a pair of nike air max breathe cage's. pricey, but i think worth it. i got them in 12.5 and i think that they'll work out. i can always send them back if my inserts don't fit, but i hope i won't need to do that

mctennis
06-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, this a problem. It's often hard to tell how a shoe will be until after it's too late. I wish there was a demo program for shoes...

That would be a great program and I'm sure it would be a big success too.

flatball
06-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I am an overpronator like you. I have a very narrow foot 14AA. I use the Addidas Barricade 2 with a custom orthodic and the insole.After trying many brands of shoes the Barricades were the only shoe that the soles wore even.They are comfortable,good support and durable. Hope this helps.