PDA

View Full Version : breakfast ideas?

Bodacious DVT
06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
well im sick of cereal. any ideas? i dont like big breakfast foods like sausages and scrambled eggs and bacon.

i do like hardboiled eggs tho. also fruit, yogurt, and bagels. im looking for something nutritious and easy

drhopz
06-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I like soup in the morning. There's something about solids that i dont like in the morning. I like liquids. Try porridge, oatmeal, or something hot.

Bottle Rocket
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
well im sick of cereal

Then you haven't tried Honey Bunches Of Oats!

Eh... Anyway... Try oatmeal, cinnamon oast, hash browns, eggs cooked differently, and everything you eat throughout the rest of the day.

Do a google search for "food", that might help.

princess bossass
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I could write a cookbook, but I'll keep my list down to ten:

1) fruit smoothies. quick, and you can make them really nutritious if you want. Possible ingredients include: soy (or cow) milk, orange juice, frozen berries, bananas, frozen peaches, wheat germ, flax seed, yogurt, sorbet, honey, artificial sweeteners if you aren't afraid of scary chemicals, COCOA POWDER (don't use chocolate syrup--you get plenty of sweetness from the other ingredients, and it's actually cheaper to just buy cocoa powder 'cuz it's so rich)...the list could go on. I keep my freezer stocked with frozen fruit from costco, and keep the other ingredients on hand. You can drink it on the way to work.

2) Bran muffins. Muffins get a bad rap these days because so many recipes are high fat or high processed carbs. The real problem with most commercially made muffins is that they're six times the size a muffin should be! Make your own, and find a recipe that uses all whole grains, and applesauce for sweetener. Bake one day and you have breakfast for the week.

3) Egg muffins. You can add lots of veggies and sausage (or fake sausage) and make a big batch, then freeze them and microwave them for the rest of the week's breakfast.

4) Fat free or lowfat cottage cheese and fruit--lots of fruit.

5) Yogurt, fruit, and granola parfaits.

6) Whole grain waffles, topped with fruit and FF coolwhip. MMM. Even FF coolwhip's not so good for you (corn syrup), but it makes it way better.

7) Brian's Bagel: Whole wheat bagel with hummus, tomatoes, and cucumber slices.

8 ) Gazpacho. Sounds weird, but in the summer it's a zesty breakfast food that goes great with a morning bloody mary ;)

9) You said you don't like eggs, but this is my favorite omelette (garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, and feta/cheddar): Mince three cloves garlic, slice four-five mushrooms, and cube two small roma tomatoes. If you don't like feta, cube some reduced fat sharp cheddar (I like a white irish cheddar). Saute the garlic and mushrooms with crushed red pepper and a dash of salt until mushrooms are reduced and garlic is transluscent, ready to brown. Turn heat to low. Meanwhile, whip egg whites (how many depends on the size of your omelette) and a general handful of nutritional yeast (adds nutrition and "flippability" for us bad cooks) with some freshly ground black pepper. Pour egg mixture into a hot, oiled pan. When eggs are nearly set on top, turn heat under mushroom mixture up to high, add tomatoes and stir quickly, for one minute or so. Flip eggs to expose the "browned" side. Pour the mushroom and tomato mixture onto the omelette, careful not to overfill your omelette. Add cheese. Fold omelette over and allow to cook for a minute or so, then flip and cook one more minute. Move to plate, and top with any remaining mushroom mixture, then a sprinkling of feta (or parmesan).

Whew!

and

10) Nothing wrong with cereal.

Sorry. I get carried away. Did I mention I love breakfast??? now I'm hungry.

StealthGnome
06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Then you haven't tried Honey Bunches Of Oats!

Eh... Anyway... Try oatmeal, cinnamon oast, hash browns, eggs cooked differently, and everything you eat throughout the rest of the day.

Do a google search for "food", that might help.

I luv Honey Bunches Of Oats!

SoBad
06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
well im sick of cereal. any ideas? i dont like big breakfast foods like sausages and scrambled eggs and bacon.

i do like hardboiled eggs tho. also fruit, yogurt, and bagels. im looking for something nutritious and easy

I hate to point out the obvious solution, but why don't you just have some hard-boiled eggs and bagels, along with some yogurt and fruit for breakfast? What is the real question here?

zapvor
06-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I hate to point out the obvious solution, but why don't you just have some hard-boiled eggs and bagels, along with some yogurt and fruit for breakfast? What is the real question here?

hahahahahahah you wrote the exact post i was going to. i am confused too.

Bodacious DVT
06-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Thanks, im trying not to get bored with the same breakfast everyday. I like that stuff, just not day in and day out.

I have tried Honey Bunches of Oats. its one of two cereals I'll eat (the other is Crunch, sorta the same thing but with crunchy flakes)

Thanks Princess Bossass, that should keep me satisfied for a while:grin:

johnny ballgame
06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
im looking for something nutritious and easy

Whole grain waffles. Eat dry, delicious, couldn't be easier. A little fruit. Small glass of soy milk. You're ready.

Bodacious DVT
06-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Whole grain waffles. Eat dry, delicious, couldn't be easier. A little fruit. Small glass of soy milk. You're ready.

Thanks, i did that for my tourney today and it kept me going.

also made a fruit smoothie with honey, OJ, bananas, peaches, strawberries, and oatmeal.

im starting to like breakfast!

TheShaun
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
lately i've been having a whole wheat english muffin w/ pb and a yogurt.

princess bossass
06-15-2007, 09:00 PM

also made a fruit smoothie with honey, OJ, bananas, peaches, strawberries, and oatmeal.

im starting to like breakfast!

I wish every meal were breakfast. MMmmm. Breakfast.

johnny ballgame
06-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Nice, glad to help. I eat a lot of the stuff you mentioned in your first post... I like to keep it simple on match day as well. Always fruit and soy milk, then I'll choose between whole grain waffles, bagel/toast with peanut butter, or cereal. Then take a banana to the match.

Cheers!

circusmouse
06-16-2007, 05:51 PM
My favorite smoothie is made of yogurt, bananas, frozen blueberries and/or strawberries, and a touch of vanilla extract. Simple, easy, delicious. It's also good with soy milk but not as nutritious.

princess bossass
06-16-2007, 09:53 PM
My favorite smoothie is made of yogurt, bananas, frozen blueberries and/or strawberries, and a touch of vanilla extract. Simple, easy, delicious. It's also good with soy milk but not as nutritious.

Ah yes, I forgot vanilla extract really cranks things up a notch.:)

Just out of curiosity, why do consider a soy smoothie less nutritious?

zapvor
06-16-2007, 09:59 PM
just want to say thats is an outstanding omelette receipe princess.

princess bossass
06-16-2007, 10:01 PM
just want to say thats is an outstanding omelette receipe princess.

Aw, thanks! It's as good as it sounds. I only get to make it when the boy is at work, though--he won't even look at a tomato.

zapvor
06-16-2007, 10:18 PM
haha. i love tomatoes. the only thing i didnt like was the feta, but thats easily replaceable. now only if i can find someone to make one for me;)

princess bossass
06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
haha. i love tomatoes. the only thing i didnt like was the feta, but thats easily replaceable. now only if i can find someone to make one for me;)

Irish cheddar is good in that recipe too. Anything with a sharp flavor to compete with all that garlic.

You can always buy one of those self-flipping omelette pans. Takes the excitement out of the whole process, though. ;)

mmuubb
06-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I like some whey buns slightly cooked in an oven, with fresh tomato slices, salt ,garlic-flavoured pepper and fresh bazylia(don't know how it's called in english:)) and a few drops of olive oil on it:) But today I'm doing that omlette-souds great:)

topspin_17
06-17-2007, 02:58 AM
HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS is good! it's not salty, but kinda sweet! good for you, too. try a philadelphia cream cheese bagel... that's my favourite...

princess bossass
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I like some whey buns slightly cooked in an oven, with fresh tomato slices, salt ,garlic-flavoured pepper and fresh bazylia(don't know how it's called in english:)) and a few drops of olive oil on it:)

That sounds awesome. Although I don't honestly know what whey buns are, I'm using my imagination :)

circusmouse
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Ah yes, I forgot vanilla extract really cranks things up a notch.:)

Just out of curiosity, why do consider a soy smoothie less nutritious?

I love soymilk, especially in my coffee, but I don't consider it especially nutritious. Soy beans are incredibly nutritious, but I suspect that much of the nutrition is removed in processing it into milk. I could be wrong about this. I just looked up "soy milk nutrition" and found a number of sites claiming that it is very nutritious but found nothing about how much of the bean's nutrition is retained through processing. I consider yogurt more important than soy milk because it has all of the probiotics that help the intestines absorb vitamins. Regardless, they're both healthy and delicious additions to a smoothie.

Princess Bossass, I noticed that you're also located in Portland. Where do you normally hit?

Bodacious DVT
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I love soymilk, especially in my coffee, but I don't consider it especially nutritious. Soy beans are incredibly nutritious, but I suspect that much of the nutrition is removed in processing it into milk. I could be wrong about this. I just looked up "soy milk nutrition" and found a number of sites claiming that it is very nutritious but found nothing about how much of the bean's nutrition is retained through processing. I consider yogurt more important than soy milk because it has all of the probiotics that help the intestines absorb vitamins. Regardless, they're both healthy and delicious additions to a smoothie.

Princess Bossass, I noticed that you're also located in Portland. Where do you normally hit?

one advantage soy has over regular milk is that it won't go bad if it gets warm, allowing you to take it on court with you.

princess bossass
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks for answering my question. Yes, the digestive aids in yogurt are indeed a nice bonus. I get kinda sick when I eat any other dairy products, but yogurt (in small amounts) never seems to bother me.

I can't speak for the nutritiousness of soy milk (I drink it "just because"), but I just plain don't like milk. And as a vegetarian, I suppose I should appreciate the protein and the calcium (fortified), but milk or yogurt would supply some of both too.

I noticed that you're also located in Portland. Where do you normally hit?

Where ever. Usually at the Tennis Center, sometimes at Grant, or by myself (:cry: )against the wall at that park on 20th and Belmont. you?

circusmouse
06-17-2007, 09:29 PM
I can't speak for the nutritiousness of soy milk (I drink it "just because")

Me too. I don't have any lactose issues, but I always keep soy milk in my fridge.

Where ever. Usually at the Tennis Center, sometimes at Grant, or by myself (:cry: )against the wall at that park on 20th and Belmont. you?

All over, too. Mostly at PTC and PSU, but sometimes at the Rose Gardens, Mt. Tabor, Grant, those Belmont courts and a few others. Let me know if you want to hit sometime. I'm always looking for new tennis people. I'm a 4.0 player but play with a wide range of levels. I'm mostly available weekday evenings, since I usually hit with an old friend on the weekends.

zapvor
06-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Irish cheddar is good in that recipe too. Anything with a sharp flavor to compete with all that garlic.

You can always buy one of those self-flipping omelette pans. Takes the excitement out of the whole process, though. ;)

i was thinking more mozzrella or swiss. or provolone.

no you gotta go do it right. no self flipping anything. i shall rejoice in my own bad flipping. ok maybe not rejoice, but yea.

chroix
06-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Smoked salmon and cream cheese on bread or bagel is my favorite. Lots of calories not too heavy. I also make a wicked breakfast casserole with hashbrowns, bacon and cheese. Bake it on Sunday, got breakfast all week.

princess bossass
06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Me too. I don't have any lactose issues, but I always keep soy milk in my fridge.

All over, too. Mostly at PTC and PSU, but sometimes at the Rose Gardens, Mt. Tabor, Grant, those Belmont courts and a few others. Let me know if you want to hit sometime. I'm always looking for new tennis people. I'm a 4.0 player but play with a wide range of levels. I'm mostly available weekday evenings, since I usually hit with an old friend on the weekends.

I'm probably too sucky for you to hit with, but Bossass is a 4.0 (~), probably more on your level. We hit around a lot, probably 4-5 days a week as of late, and I'm sure he'd like to hit around with someone who's not...you know... a girl.

zapvor
06-19-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm probably too sucky for you to hit with, but Bossass is a 4.0 (~), probably more on your level. We hit around a lot, probably 4-5 days a week as of late, and I'm sure he'd like to hit around with someone who's not...you know... a girl.

hahahah you said it

circusmouse
06-19-2007, 02:11 PM

I don't think I'm a girl. Hold on while I check. Yep, definitely not a girl. I'll try to send you a message with contact info in a few minutes. I've never sent a message on these boards before, so let me know if you don't receive it.

princess bossass
06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
hahahah you said it

What, I'm a realist! Don't get me wrong though, Bossass is very sporting and generous about hitting with me.

dave333
06-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm reading about soymilk and there is the problem that, as a protein, its quality is not as good as dairy, fish, meat etc.

Ronaldo
06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Try scrapple with maple syrup, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.countrystore.cc/images/scrapple-b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.countrystore.cc/detail.aspx%3FID%3D65&h=400&w=400&sz=32&hl=en&start=1&sig2=m57udy3PiDXU2xDx2lpXAQ&um=1&tbnid=w9C_JKpV1iwDjM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&ei=gfJ5RuvMFovshwLQv6HXBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscrapple%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26safe%3Doff

zapvor
06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
What, I'm a realist! Don't get me wrong though, Bossass is very sporting and generous about hitting with me.

hehehe. yea i am sure he is. after all, you are the princess :p