PDA

View Full Version : Burning Fat. Need help.

Klippy
06-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Hey

I havent played much tennis this year and the last half of last year or so. At the beginning of last year though, and the year before I would be playing tennis 2-3hrs ona 5 times a week basis. I don't really play now because of school (i Dont have time).
But yea, so naturally, fat percentage increases with less exercise. I got a bit more fat around my arms and legs than I used to, its not too bad though- its not like I'm really fat or anything. But yea, I'm a bit less toned- maybe its atrophy?

So, how do you suggest I burn the fat? I really need some tips. Especially for my arms, I want my arms "tighter" and more "toned". Like, my triceps are a bit soft. But I don't really want muscle increase, just fat decrease. Will doing push ups help?

What kind of training should I do? Aerobic or anaerobic? Cycling, jogging? Or sprints and plyometrics?

Thank you,

From Klippy

chess9
06-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Klippy: Use the search function. :) We've been down into the bowels of that beast at least 20 times the last year. There are some awesome posts by guys like Ano, OrangeOne, Chess9 (he's always wrong), etc.

Essentially, fitness is a lifestyle. You do it all the time, in a variety of ways, but you focus on it at least 3-4 days per week. Weights, running, proper DIET all help.

Good luck.

-Robert

Klippy
06-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Thank you kindly

PS: Your signature reminds me of me ;)

Who's Kipling anyway?

beernutz
06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey

I havent played much tennis this year and the last half of last year or so. At the beginning of last year though, and the year before I would be playing tennis 2-3hrs ona 5 times a week basis. I don't really play now because of school (i Dont have time).
But yea, so naturally, fat percentage increases with less exercise. I got a bit more fat around my arms and legs than I used to, its not too bad though- its not like I'm really fat or anything. But yea, I'm a bit less toned- maybe its atrophy?

So, how do you suggest I burn the fat? I really need some tips. Especially for my arms, I want my arms "tighter" and more "toned". Like, my triceps are a bit soft. But I don't really want muscle increase, just fat decrease. Will doing push ups help?

What kind of training should I do? Aerobic or anaerobic? Cycling, jogging? Or sprints and plyometrics?

Thank you,

From Klippy

Body weight exercises are really good for putting on the extra muscle you need to raise your base metabolism without adding a lot of bulk. Pulls, chins, dips, pushups, bombers, etc. etc. I like to distance run but I also add into my runs a lot of strides or pickups (we used to call it fartlek running in high school) to keep things interesting. Plyometrics are great but start slow because doing them too much or incorrectly is a sure recipe for injury.

Bodacious DVT
06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
best way to lose fat is to lower your calorie intake and increase your calorie burn-off.

try not to each anything with over 15% calories from fat, and eat smaller portions. it will be hard at first but your stomach will adjust.

pick up swimming! swimming is a great way to build muscle and burn fat, all while near zero resistance! after swimming 3 or 4 hours a week for a month, you can easily drop around 10 pounds. give it a try!

Ano
06-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey

Thank you,

From Klippy

Klippy, are you a woman or a man? If you are woman, I will convince you, it's not easy to increase muscle mass.

Even if you lift heavy weight, you will not get big and bulky.

That statement is like saying, "Eh, I don't want to practice tennis today because I don't want to win the Wimbledon next week."

Getting big and bulky isn't easy, just like winning the Wimbledon isn't easy.

If anything, it's an insult to all those people who've spent years in the gym to look the way they do. It didn't happen overnight, which is what you're assuming by saying something like that.

And let's be honest, most people (men and women) won't work hard enough to get "big and bulky" in the first place. It's hard enough for a man to put on any significant amount of muscle, let alone a woman.

Women are physiologically at a disadvantage for putting on muscle due to the fact that they have ten times less free Testosterone in their bodies compared to men.

So eat right, lift weight and do cardio. Don't worry about getting too big.

And if you lift weight, lift heavy (under 12 reps to failure per set).

If you lift light weight, you'll just end up with a fragile, weak, and soft looking body, otherwise known as the "skinny-fat" look. Your muscles will lack what's known as good neurogenic or myogenic tone (basically fancy words used to express muscle hardness).

Simply put, there are two types of muscle tone: myogenic and neurogenic. The former refers to your muscle tone at rest; the latter refers to muscle tone that's expressed when muscular contractions occur.

Low(er) rep training increases the sensitivity of various motor units resulting in increased neurogenic tone. On the other hand, myogenic tone is correlated with the overall density of your muscles (specifically the contractile proteins myosin and actin) and is vastly improved by lifting heavier weights.

This is going to come as a shock to most women, but utilizing light weights (anything above 12 reps) while dieting will likely result in loss of muscle, which is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

When dieting, the body will adapt to the caloric deficit by down-regulating many of the hormones involved with metabolism (T3, T4, leptin, etc.), as well as getting rid of metabolically active tissue (muscle.)

Obviously you'd want to prevent this from happening in the first place, which is why I always recommend that women drop the 20 rep sets and start training with heavier weights.

Klippy
06-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Lol ewwwwww I dont wanna be bulky thats grosss!!!!! Dude, man, you got it all wrong!!!!!!!! I wanna burn the fat!!! thats what the whole thing is about!! EWww bulk is gross. I dont wanna look like a dude!

read what i say carefully:
I don't really want muscle increase, just fat decrease

By the way, wats a CArdio? Give me an example? Will inteval training help? Like running with max effort, rest and then repeat? For like 30 mins?

Klippy
06-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Also, is skipping effective? for burning leg-fat i mean? Like, skipping casually and then increasing intensity and then casual again, and then intensity?

also i something like this good? http://www.netfit.co.uk/racquets-web.htm *scroll down*

princess bossass
06-15-2007, 12:58 AM
One thing you need to understand is that spot-training doesn't work. In other words, you can't decrease the amount of fat on your legs by doing leg exercises. You can improve the muscle tone, which will improve how they look, but to lose fat on your legs, you need to lose weight all over--which means burning off more calories than you take in.

I think you misunderstood Ano's post. He was trying to convince you that even if you DO lift heavy weights, you're extremely UNLIKELY to gain bulk. You would have to train very seriously--very VERY seriously--to end up looking "like a dude."

If you want to improve your muscle tone, you should definitely lift weights. Gaining a little muscle will help with the fat loss, too--even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat. But seriously, don't worry about bulking up.

Cardio is like running, cycling, XC skiing, hiking, etc., as opposed to resistance training (e.g.,. weight lifting, resistance bands, etc.).

Klippy
06-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Cardio is like running, cycling, XC skiing, hiking

Yea, but the running has to be done with intensity, right? LIke, sprinting. Cause it burns more fat right? Unlike continuous running (jogging) which doesnt really burn fat?

Klippy
06-15-2007, 01:08 AM
And whats with all the weight-loss talk. I wasnt aiming for losing weight! I am a decent weight people! I weigh 65 kilos and am almost 180cm tall!! I dont wanna lose weight. Its just- there a bit more "softness" around my arms and legs thats all! just not as "skinny" as i used to be and all i wanna do is lose that bit of extra flab round my arms and legs!! its not serious, the change isnt dramatic. Its not like I've become a complete fatass! I can even post a pic of myself this year and last year for comparison.

So. What is it that I do? Sprinting, like I mentioned? Sprinting up a hill?? SKIPPING??

Klippy
06-15-2007, 01:11 AM
One thing you need to understand is that spot-training doesn't work. In other words, you can't decrease the amount of fat on your legs by doing leg exercises. You can improve the muscle tone, which will improve how they look, but to lose weight on your legs, you need to lost weight all over--which means burning off more calories than you take in.

Yeaa but what if in the sports training I actually burn off more caklories than I take in? I still think it would work, wont it?

My diet is good. I dont eat chocolate, lollies, sugar, sweets. The only sugar i take in is from fruit. and i dont eat lotsa fruit either. Nor do i eat a high fat diet! So no fast food, greasy food. I eat stuff like soup, fish, rice, noodles with no additional crap like greasy sauces. And i Dont eat much either

Ano
06-15-2007, 01:41 AM
I think you misunderstood Ano's post. He was trying to convince you that even if you DO lift heavy weights, you're extremely UNLIKELY to gain bulk. You would have to train very seriously--very VERY seriously--to end up looking "like a dude."

If you want to improve your muscle tone, you should definitely lift weights. Gaining a little muscle will help with the fat loss, too--even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat. But seriously, don't worry about bulking up.

Cardio is like running, cycling, XC skiing, hiking, etc., as opposed to resistance training (e.g.,. weight lifting, resistance bands, etc.).

That's right. Klippy certainly misunderstood my post. I spent 15 minutes to type that post, and the OP misunderstood me. What a waste...

Klippy, you said you want to burn the fat, but you don't want to increase muscle. Then you said you wasn't aiming to lose weight.

How in this world you can lose fat, not gaining muscle and keep your bodyweight? If you lose bodyfat, while maintaining your muscle, you will lose bodyweight, right?

Here what you said in your earlier posts.

Hey

From Klippy

And whats with all the weight-loss talk. I wasnt aiming for losing weight! I am a decent weight people! I weigh 65 kilos and am almost 180cm tall!! I dont wanna lose weight.

So. What is it that I do? Sprinting, like I mentioned? Sprinting up a hill?? SKIPPING??

origmarm
06-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Who's Kipling anyway?

He makes exceedingly good cakes

austro
06-15-2007, 02:33 AM
This thread best be closed. Klippy obviously doesn't have the shed of an idea what s/he is talking about.

Klippy, refer to the sticky at the top of this forum for workout ideas. It has all and more than you could ever need.

princess bossass
06-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Yea, but the running has to be done with intensity, right? LIke, sprinting. Cause it burns more fat right? Unlike continuous running (jogging) which doesnt really burn fat?

Uh...no.

I ditto Astro's suggestion that you search for answers to similar questions already posted in other threads. I'm relatively new to the forum, and I've found tons of helpful information just snooping around.

beernutz
06-15-2007, 07:35 AM
And whats with all the weight-loss talk. I wasnt aiming for losing weight! I am a decent weight people! I weigh 65 kilos and am almost 180cm tall!! I dont wanna lose weight. Its just- there a bit more "softness" around my arms and legs thats all! just not as "skinny" as i used to be and all i wanna do is lose that bit of extra flab round my arms and legs!! its not serious, the change isnt dramatic. Its not like I've become a complete fatass! I can even post a pic of myself this year and last year for comparison.

People are trying to help you but you are being difficult, IMO. There is a name for people like that but I will refrain from using it yet.

You said you wanted less fat, but did not want more muscle or at least not bulky muscle. Now you clarify that by saying you don't want to lose any weight. Its like the old expression, "Do you want it fast, do you want it good, or do you want it cheap--pick any two." Your body is kind of like that in that it is very difficult to lose fat, keep your muscle mass stable, and not lose weight. The subject of weight loss has come up because it is very likely you will lose weight if you try to lose fat without building muscle.