PDA

View Full Version : Can Federer ever win the French?

tennisadd1ct
06-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Do you guys think Federer will ever win the French? While Nadal is still around? I hope he does cuz i'm a fan of his but do you think he'll ever win it?:-D :-D :-D

Hope
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
I believe Roger will win the french. I've always thought he will win the 'golden slam' in 2008. I had hoped he'd win the french this year but he played against history on Sunday and history was not on his side. He could have been 2 sets to love up - he had enough break points! I noticed Nadal was tired in the 3rd set but obviously Roger was more tired. Now we know he had a slight groin strain. Perhaps it happened then. Anyway, the enormity of what Roger was trying to do (win 4 straight slam) must not be forgotten. That's why I say he lost to history on Sunday, and not Nadal. If he was not going for 4 straight but 2 straight slams, I have no doubt he would have won.
Federer is the most talented player I have ever seen in 45 years of playing and watching tennis. If he can't win the grand slam, nobody will ever win it again.

Nadal_Freak
06-14-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't think Federer will be able to do it. They would have to switch to Hamburg Clay.

clymb420
06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Yes. Next year he'll play the same match, except step in on Rafa's serve like McEnroe was pleading with him to do all match. Heck, I could step inside the baseline on Rafa's serves...he was barely getting his 1st above 100mph. If Fed would have stepped in and attacked right off, he would've won at least 1/2 his break chances. Fed will figure Rafa out sooner than later.

Ripper
06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Well, someone else could take Nadal out for him... or he could become injured... or someone could just stab him in the back...

Eviscerator
06-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Can he do it? The answer is yes.

Will he do it? The answer is not as clear.

Nadal_Freak
06-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes. Next year he'll play the same match, except step in on Rafa's serve like McEnroe was pleading with him to do all match. Heck, I could step inside the baseline on Rafa's serves...he was barely getting his 1st above 100mph. If Fed would have stepped in and attacked right off, he would've won at least 1/2 his break chances. Fed will figure Rafa out sooner than later.
Serving is not all about speed. Nadal was able to serve the ball where Fed is least comfortable in returning. (high to the backhand) Combine that with the lefty spin and Fed will have problems.

Eviscerator
06-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Ooops, I almost forgot to post this. He can win the French provided he does this which he could learn to do easily.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1517948&posted=1#post1517948

:mrgreen:

caulcano
06-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't think Federer will be able to do it. They would have to switch to Hamburg Clay.

Or maybe the stars will align & the weather will become cold & wet to make the conditions benefit Federer more ...

rocket
06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Do you guys think Federer will ever win the French? While Nadal is still around? I hope he does cuz i'm a fan of his but do you think he'll ever win it?:-D :-D :-D

Fed can beat anyone on any surface, he has all the shots. But it's all in his head, whether he believes in himself or not.

J-man
06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Sersiouly as long as Nadal's in the way I don't think so

clymb420
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Serving is not all about speed. Nadal was able to serve the ball where Fed is least comfortable in returning. (high to the backhand) Combine that with the lefty spin and Fed will have problems.

"Serving is not all about speed"...True, true, that is a tried and true statement, but Nadal was serving about as hard the ladies. A slow curveball is much easier to hit than hard slider...or a weak slider for that matter, which is what Nadal was offering.
I guess I'll have to go ahead and tell you about basic geometry. If you step in closer to the ball's point of the angle origin, or deflection point off the court, the ball will not reach as high a point before you are able to hit it. In previous posts, this is where I would say, "duh", but I'm trying to be a more polite poster. To sum up, Fed was standing back on the weak 1st and 2nd serves, therefore allowing the ball to get high on his backhand. This is what I undertood that Mac was talking about the entire time. Unlike a baseline rally, a returner has the ability (through reading the toss and positioning on court)to control how he recieves the ball more than at any other time...especially when the serves are so weak, and even if they are kicking.

CyBorg
06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Fearless forecast: With hours to go before the 2008 French Open final, Federer will sneak into the Nadal headquarters and slip in a laxative into Nadal's drink.

The final will become a Shakespearian comedy of errors, with Nadal taking a bathroom break every 10 minutes, being charged numerous points by the frustrated umpire. In the middle of the third set, Nadal will hobble and skip with his buttcheeks firmly flexed against each other, screaming out in pain. A few games later, a digested banana only worsens the problem and the shouts of 'vamos' become to resemble yelps and mumbles. Somewhere in the stands, Mirka eats a giant nacho cowboy hat with hot cheese dripping from her face, obviously quite nervous.

Nadal wins 6-1, 6-3, 7-5. Federer retires to work in a flower shop in anonymity.

Bassus
06-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Federer clearly can win the French. If not for Nadal, then Federer would probably have 3 French Opens, and his domination of Tennis would be unmatched by any athlete ever in any major sport.

But there is a Nadal, and Federer is now entering the end of the typical prime years for a tennis player. So where once his winning the French just seemed like a matter of time, now it is very much in question, maybe even in doubt.

At this point, he'd need to find a way to sustain his level of play on clay against Nadal in the few sets he has dominated him (4th set in 2006 Rome, second set 2007 French) over the course of an entire match. He might need Nadal to simply have a bad day. He might need the weather to turn cool and damp so that the conditions would be like they were in Hamburg this year.

All in all, its not a good position to be in, but no all hope is lost yet.

deucecourt
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Fed will not win the FO. Nadal is only 21 and may win 2 or 3 more. Fed's window to win the French is closing fast. His career is starting to look very similar to Sampras. Let's see if he starts playing less tournaments.

TheNatural
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
he can win it, but according to popular opinion he would first need to:

hire the best psychologist money can buy,
pray Nadal gets injured next time, or
get a sniper to take down Nadal

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137975&page=2

fastdunn
06-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, Federer has a game to win multiple French Open.
His defense game is unreal and equally unreal baseliner.
He grew up on clay and was born to win multiple French Open.

He is just awefully unlucky to have Nadal since 2005.

Nadal is probably the best player on clay at least in 30 years or ever.
Plus he is a lefty who is a very bad match up to Federer's game.

If Federer's career started anytime within 30 years from late 70's,
he could have won FO multiple times.

IMO, everything balances out like everything in life sometimes.
Federer probably has been a bit lucky to have slower courts in Wimbledon.
But he is not so lucky on clay.....

ElSuegro
06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Federer can win the French, to answer the question. However, he must be willing to change his tactics. Trading groundstrokes from the baseline hasn't worked for the past three years. That's Nadal's game, and Federer is letting him play it. Fed should have won the first set, with all those break points, and did win the second, so I think he was closer this year than ever. I'd like to see him force Nadal to net more, S & V himself more, chip & charge 2nd serves, hit more drop shots, anything to take Nadal out of his (very) comfortable zone. While he's at it, he could also improve his own grinding out points from the baseline, if he insists on playing that style.

Having said that, who really cares if he doesn't win it? Look at Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Edberg, Becker, Rios, & Rafter. All former no. 1s, not a French open title between them.

Bertie B
06-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Or maybe the stars will align & the weather will become cold & wet to make the conditions benefit Federer more ...

Or the fools who downgraded Pluto can rename the constellation Gemini to Leo.

All things being equal, it is a tall order defeating a person when the Sun is in their own sign. During RG the sun transits the constellation of Gemini (May 21 - June 21), the birth sign of Nadal and Henin.

Coincidence?...perhaps.

LarougeNY
06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
RG will be federer's 14th slam; he wraps up this season winning the next two slams, then starts off next year with the AUS open, then has a stellar final with whoever (probably rafa) in RG to win his 14th GS tieying Sampras' record.

Thrasher
06-16-2007, 06:28 AM
I definitely think he can win the French with Nadal around. Regardless of how good Nadal is, he still isn't the tennis player Federer is. Nadal benefits greatly by being so fast, and being able to run anything down, along with using massive topspin. Clay enables him to do this. But I still think he is beatable on clay, if Federer sticks with a game plan and doesn't have so many mishits. On grass and hardcourt, Federer is the superior player.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-16-2007, 02:50 PM
he can, but nadal has to be taking out first.

Mick
06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
even though I am more of a Federer fan than a Nadal fan, I think it's good that Nadal beat Federer these past two years. Without Nadal, it would have been too easy for Federer to capture the grand slam and that would not have been a good thing. It's better that he never wins the French than to win it without having to face the best clay court player around.

Roger is Boring
06-16-2007, 03:44 PM
nope.without the french robofed will never be the greatest ever either.thanks to king nadal.:D :D :D

tennisadd1ct
06-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I Beleive In Federer He Is The Best!!! Woot Woot