PDA

View Full Version : Bow Brand Gut 17 versus 18 gauge.

Mark Carlisle
09-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I just purchased a few sets of 18 gauge - nice strings. However the first set lasted for a mere 1 1/2 hours before breaking. The 17 gauge typically last me for 10-15 hours playing time

Is this normal ? Thanks

NoBadMojo
09-30-2004, 09:52 AM
it is normal for a string that thin...the bow 18ga is incredibly thin and therefore not durable at all. the 17ga you are using is equivalent to 18ga in most other strings. 10-15 hours is pretty good for bow 17ga....if you arent using stringsavers, using them in the right manner will give you even more usable life and is certainly worthwhile doing. ed

Mark Carlisle
09-30-2004, 10:29 AM
NoBadMojo thanks your reply,

Have not considered string savers as I restring my own rackets but maybe I should. The 18 gauge does look thin and the literature even suggests they were originally squash strings. The person at Bow Brand I spoke with suggested that each time after playing I should coat the strings with a mix of 4 parts metholated spirit to 1 part baby oil to prolong the life. However I didn't get that far and they broke before the end of the session. Admittedly the 10-15 hours life of 17 gauge is playing indoors. The 17 gauge usually lasts for 8-10 hours when playing outside.

NoBadMojo
09-30-2004, 11:21 AM
my pleasure....i have found the stringsavers help much more than applying coatings and is way less a pain in the arse, but the experience of others may differ. give the stringsavers a try..elastocrosses are best.....whenever you see a string start to fray, stick a stringsaver in there at that point. it really helps prolong the life of the strings...eventually you will have a few of them in there, but will have gained quite a bit of stringlife and it doesnt affect playability that way <for me>. you may also wish to give their 16L guage a try..it is like the 17ga of other companies. hope this helps. ed