PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow Brace affect play

Trainer
06-14-2007, 05:40 AM
I suspected this a while back, but now I'm convinced.

A few months back, I developed some pain at the top of my forearm. I suspected some sort of itis in my elbow or forearm, if not tennis elbow. I began to wear a brace on my arm that seemed to work. The pain didn't get worse and I was able to keep playing as much as usual.

However, my game fell off a bit. Everything from serving to ground strokes seemed to suffer. I was hitting a lot of unforced errors. So I took the brace off and my game seemed to improve a bit, but so did the pain in my arm after a week or two. My friends didn't seem to think there was any relationship, that it was in my head, because they wore braces and didn't have any problem. So, I put the brace back on to fend off the pain, and I've continued to struggle in my play.

So yesterday, I forgot to bring the brace to my singles match. And in fact, didn't notice that it was missing until after the match, which I won, easily. My unforced errors dropped, my serving was very good, and this was a guy that beat me in straight sets last week.

Anyone else noticed that a Tennis Elbow Brace affects their game?

Geezer Guy
06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
If you're talking about that strap with the little balloon thing that goes around you upper wrist just below the elbow, I've been wearing one a couple of months now and have not noticed any change in my play.

Seems to help my TE somewhat, but no change in stoke production.

Trainer
06-14-2007, 07:17 AM
This (http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com/supply~becton+dickenson+(58)~ace-tennis-elbow-brace-fits-left-or-right-each-207288.htm) is the one I'm using

http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com/images/products/med/207288_ACETENNISELBOWBRACE.JPG

It's not elastic arcoss the support area, it's a firm plastic with cushioning on the outside.

NogaroS4
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I've been using the nike one and it doesnt affect me. Only thing I notice is every now and then the velcro sticks to my sleeve.

Phil
06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone else noticed that a Tennis Elbow Brace affects their game?

No...my game is mediocre with or without it. It's probably all in your head.