PDA

View Full Version : do i really need tennis shoes?

TheShaun
06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
i haven't been playing tennis for very long, and as such have never bought tennis specific shoes. i just play in x-trainers. will tennis shoes make a big difference? i play on public hard courts. any shoe recomendations? i'm 5 foot 7 inches about 160lbs and have neutral to slight pronation.

lilxjohnyy
06-14-2007, 09:01 AM
if u want to play tennis more often u should get tennis shoes ... if ur juss goin to play once or twice an year than dont

Bodacious DVT
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I would. wearing shoes specifically designed for tennis movement not only helps you on the court, but properly takes care of your feet.

shoe recomendations are hard without knowing your width and fit preferences

TheShaun
06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
thanks for the advice.

what seem to be the most popular shoes? at least that way when i go to try them on, i'll have a good place to start.

Kirko
06-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I would. wearing shoes specifically designed for tennis movement not only helps you on the court, but properly takes care of your feet.

shoe recomendations are hard without knowing your width and fit preferences

Top end advice. you can't play tennis in running shoes and run any real distance with tennis shoes. trainers are more like a casual shoe or going to a gym; good for walking.

lilxjohnyy
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
barricades are best for tennis .... most people's favorite

AmericanTemplar
06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Adidas Barricades are best for durability, but if you aren't going to be playing a ton, I think that the Nike Breathe Free line of shoes are more comforable, require very little break-in, and they perform better. I woul try on both, because while I primarily wear Adidas for casual wear, I find that Nike's fit my feet better, and function should come before fashion when it comes to tennis.

ledor
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
i haven't been playing tennis for very long, and as such have never bought tennis specific shoes. i just play in x-trainers. will tennis shoes make a big difference? i play on public hard courts. any shoe recomendations? i'm 5 foot 7 inches about 160lbs and have neutral to slight pronation.

yes tennis shoes make a big difference because of the tread patterns. Going all directions, you'll need as much traction so you won't twist an ankle.

BHStennisplayer
06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
You will turn a bunch of ankles in cross trainers.

Dangus
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Try the Nike Breathe Cage; it's very comfortable.

Michelangelo
06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Humm... if you only play tennis several times a year, you can just buy a pair of entry level tennis shoes.