PDA

View Full Version : how often do you replace your tennis shoes.........

tnkGod4tns
03-15-2004, 08:38 AM
do u wait till you wear off the thread of the shoes or just when u feel that you're not getting the support you had when you got them new??

Anonymous
03-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I've have sprained my ankle, developed painful blisters on my forefoot (worn through the sock), my cat chews the shoelace so if it slips through the hole I can't use that hole anymore, yet the same pair keeps chugging along just fine. I had to throw out another pair yesterday though after a few months because I spilled ice cream birthday cake and didn't know it until after I came in from the sun and then looked down and they wouldn't get clean and looked terrible.

fastdunn
03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
In general, I would put my shoes' performance on the lookout mode once any part of outsole worn out and starts to reveal EVA midsole. (My left foot over-pronates. So the outsole of inside heel and forefoot will start to reveal midsole while other parts of out sole look like new. :-< ) Once I start to notice aparent performance problems like frequent slipps and unstable footing, then I throw them away.

Sometimes, I really love the shoes and then wear it until I put a hole around my toe area (and thus of my toe actually touches the ground !!! ). Sometimes I hate shoes I bought and discard them as soon as I sense just a touch of performance problem.

I think I'm on the frugal side compared to other people.
I just feel bad to throw away shoes while upper shoes are just fine. I think we, tennis players, are top enviromental hazard(?) producers. We throw away tennis balls after
a few set of games and tennis shoes which outsoles are not replaceable. AND NO SHOES or Tennis manufacturers recycle.
(Except Nike shoes...)

Japanese Maple
03-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Good question-I tend to throw away my shoes when the midsole
is shot, which happens long before the sole wears out. The way I
tell that the midsole is gone is one day while playing I notice that
my feet and ankles hurt more than usual and I was not on my feet
during the day for any prolong period of time. My feet almost feel
like I am walking on rocks-a overall aching feeling that wasn't there
the last time I played. Of course, I take into account how old the shoes are and how much I am playing. I believe that most tennis
players wear their shoes too long and only pay attention to the
condition of the sole and are not sensitive to the midsole being
crushed. A shoe with a shot midsole can lead to foot,ankle,knee,
hip, and lower back problems due to the shock of pounding the
court is transmitted up the leg versus being absorbed by a healthy
midsole. To reduce the force up my body to prolong my tennis
playing and to extend the life of the midsole I always rotate between two pairs of shoes and I replace the thin lining with
either spenco or sofsol insert which aids tremendously in comfort
and reduced shock. If money is no object its better to get rid
of the shoes too early versus too late.

Cruzer
03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Once the forefoot cushioning is gone the shoes are done for me even though they may look fine. I have had a bruised metatarsal in my right foot and I have to have shoes with effective cushioning. I rotate about three pairs at a time and playing/hitting 3-4 times per week shoes will last 4-5 months. Certain brands wear out much more quickly than others, i.e. Nike meaning they lose cushioning and also wear through the soles so they may last only about 7-8 weeks.

@wright
03-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I throw my shoes away when my sock starts touching the court.

jayserinos99
03-17-2004, 12:23 AM
^ exactly. and if i'm short on funds i buy something that fixes the hole.

barricade
03-20-2004, 10:32 PM
i try to wear mine out before the warranty ends :D, so that's every 6 months or so.

dollars
03-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Hello, everyone!
The following was post by me and it shows how I treated with my breaked shoes. You know, it need about $80 for a new tennis shoes and most Chinese's salary is $120 per month.

Many pictures there for browdband users. It will be very slow for dialing-up users.

The link is:
http://www.tennisol.com/forum_view.asp?forum_id=11&view_id=3034