PDA

View Full Version : Abolish the Bye !

atatu
06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Why do pro tournaments have byes ? It's not like there aren't 100 guys who are not willing to fight it out to qualify for these spots . Aside from giving top players a huge advantage, what purpose does a bye serve ? I say get rid of them now...

But yeah, I love the stories about the newbies checking the draws and commenting "this Bye guy kind of sucks, he loses every time...."

Nadal_Freak
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
The top players have to play the most so it allows them to play more tournaments.

VGP
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
The byes are in place for the top players who may have gone further into the draw in the tournament prior to transition into the next week's tournament. They are kinda "earned" based on ranking.

Plus, tournaments may not want to lose their top draws right off the bat either by an early round loss or a withdrawal due to fatigue.

Moose Malloy
06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
It's not like there aren't 100 guys who are not willing to fight it out to qualify for these spots .

But somebody would have to pay those '100' guys for their efforts. Obviously pro tennis is not in a good state these days(with the CEO making all these crazy changes in order to help drive profits, get better tv deals etc)
Cutting corners(like having less players to pay in the draw) wherever they can probably doesn't hurt.

and really fans only care about the stars, no one wants to see Bjorn Phau play Justin Gimelstob(except some of the diehards here), helping guarantee Nadal-Federer-Roddick passage to the weekend is a good thing.

It might even help the top guys decide to play there, if they play an final on Sunday(like Nadal & Fed did), knowing that they have a bye, means they won't play until Wednesday. No byes & a Tuesday start they might say screw it, I''m going to practice instead.

Don't forget, last year Fed & Nadal withdrew from Hamburg due to fatigue after a long final in Rome. Hamburg was 64 draw last year, no byes. This year its 56, with top 8 getting byes. Coincidence?

And it helps fans buying tickets, knowing that a top player has a bye, you can make an educated guess when there first match may be, its tougher with no byes, they can play on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd day, with the bye you can guess 2nd, or 3rd.

jmsx521
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
The byes are in place for the top players who may have gone further into the draw in the tournament prior to transition into the next week's tournament...I agree if the player did go to the semi or final of the previous week's tournament, but if he/she didn't, then it's just a free bee. I think the byes should belong only to those who deserve to rest from their previous tournament, not just anyone who has high ranking and is seeded player.

diggler
06-15-2007, 07:34 AM
You could have a 32 man draw, with qualifying to get in. Or you could have a 64 man draw with the top 16 getting a first round bye. It is the same thing.

I can see your point, but I do see the point of view of the tournament director and the top players.