PDA

View Full Version : Name your top 10, IF...

Forza Milan
06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
if today's current players play with wooden rackets...

1. Federer
the rest...i have no clue...anyone?

BHStennisplayer
06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Nadal wouldn't even be up there. I think Davydenko would be #2. Safin somewhere up there.

jamumafa
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Hrbaty :D.

Moose Malloy
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I think McEnroe is still a current player(played 2 doubles events last year)

If they had a 8 player(any 7 players + Mac) event start tomorrow on grass or indoors with wood racquets(& best of 3), Mac would win it I think.

If those players had a month to train with wood racquets, then they'd have a chance.

The amount of wrist action used by todays players would prove hard to control with wood.

I have a feeling the biggest servers would have the advantage. Karlovic/Ljubicic may dominate, returning those serves with 65 sq inch frames would be tough.

Guys that hit flatter would do better as well.

In no order, this may be the top 10, I think guys with simpler strokes & or big serves(with more traditional motions, not the Roddick abbreviated motion) would do well. Some of the smaller guys with extreme grips(like Ferrer) may not fare well.

Federer
Davydenko
Blake
Ljubicic
Hewitt
Berdych
Safin
Soderling
Youzhny
Henman

Eviscerator
06-14-2007, 03:15 PM
The cleanest strikers would do well as the sweet spot is tiny compared to todays sticks. Also, you'd have to have a strong arm because unlike the racquets of today, the wood racquets were heavy by comparison.

tennishead93
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
this threead is ********

Jack the Hack
06-14-2007, 03:38 PM
For those that aren't including Nadal in the top 10... I fail to see how the switch to a wood racquet would rob Nadal of his foot speed, mental toughness, exquisite hand-eye coordination, and competitive desire. The difference between the world's top players is very small, and it's those characteristics that have seperated Nadal into the #2 spot behind Roger.

Wielding a wood racquet would mean a little less power, and maybe less spin, for Nadal. But if everyone else was using wood also, I don't know why Nadal's results would be that much different. Also, for those folks that think the pros would start shanking errors all over the place, take a look at some of the slow-motion video replays of their strokes. Unlike most of the losers on this forum, the pros hit 99.99999% of their shots in the sweetspot... so even if a wood racquet has a smaller sweetspot, these guys would still find it on most shots. That's why I don't think things would change much if all was equal.

tennishead93
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
think of how many time s fed would mishit the ball

Bogie
06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
fed
haas
berdych(he would be cracking frame after frame)
blake(see berdych)
ljubicic
henman
youzhny
bjorkman
hrbaty
mirnyi

Moose Malloy
06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
jack, I don't think the challenges of wood are just about size of the sweetspot, but flexibility of the racquet as well. Nadal hits shots that are simply impossible with wood(as many pros have been doing for 20 some years, even Agassi, Mr. Clean, would not be able to hit those half-volley drive passing shots from the baseline that he hit so often with wood racquets. You need full swings to get any sort of pace/depth with wood. And Nadal would not be able to hit those passing shots that he can hit from so far back with such an abreviated swing. the much larger sweetspot & swingweight allows those shots to even exist. its very jarring to swing hard with a wood racquet & misshit, people forget tennis elbow was more common back then as well, even among pros, there isn't as much of a buffer on the handles of wood racquets, you can feel all the vibrations. which partly explains why the game looks so much slower back then.

why do you think s&v was so common in the wood racquet era? because it was easier to play that way. if pros changed, I have a feeling many would start doing that, out of necessity. i'm not sure how good nadal's s&v game is.

and my top 10 is what I think would happen if they switched today. after a year of adjustment, I think Nadal would be back at the top, he seems to be too determined to let inferior equipment hold him back. but he would take his lumps initially. i've seen pros hit with wood in an exo, they looked completely clueless, like they were playing a different sport. it would be a very hard transition for all, despite their talent. its kinda like how some pros have changed their strokes/game & started losing before starting to win again(like when sampras dropped the 2 hander)

Feņa14
06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I totally agree with Hrbaty, he would be right up there.

Gundam
06-14-2007, 04:24 PM
They are all supreme athletes.
If they had to learn and play with wooden ones from the beginning, I am pretty sure they would have come up with very efficient game anyway.