PDA

View Full Version : Justine Henin: "My herpes came out again"

carrwash13
06-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Hope this isn't innapropriate. But just wondering if anyone else noticed this in her interview. Seems kind of odd to bring up in an interview like it's nothing......

Q. Weren't you afraid that the emotional side of things would have too much influence on that match?

JUSTINE HENIN: No, I didn't panic. I knew I was not starting that match well. I can tell you, I had a horrible night. My herpes came out again, and I said to my doctor, "Well, I see everything is fine, it's great."

Here's the interview:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2007-06-09/200706091181407559484.html

Feņa14
06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I think she got herpes when her immune system was really bad over the past couple of years. She gets those things round her mouth from time to time.

Poor lass.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Okay, I was hoping this was a typo but it has been almost a week. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

CyBorg
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I am so confused.

jmsx521
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Not a big deal what she said; it's a lip/mouth herpes she is talking about. It runs in many families' generations, mine including. I think here in the US, most people think of herpes only as the genital one.

mentalcase
06-14-2007, 09:18 PM
She could and should have said cold sore.

Phil
06-14-2007, 09:38 PM

She called it what it is, officially. Obviously, she wasn't considerate enough to consider your extremely delicate sensibilities before she spoke. Shame on her.

pro_staff
06-14-2007, 09:42 PM
It's called herpes simplex. It's no big deal.

hsua
06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah Henin look like she has an outbreak during the majors, but it just goes to show how much stress and emotion goes into these tournaments. It's nice to be blunt about things, especially when it's on your face...

CanadianChic
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Not a big deal what she said; it's a lip/mouth herpes she is talking about. It runs in many families' generations, mine including. I think here in the US, most people think of herpes only as the genital one.

Great post!

She called it what it is, officially. Obviously, she wasn't considerate enough to consider your extremely delicate sensibilities before she spoke. Shame on her.

:D

pound cat
06-15-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm sure that in her native language (french) they have never heard of "cold sore", which is a misnomer because it usually has nothing to do with having a cold, and as someone said, it has to do with having a suppressed immune system brought on in this case by the stress if the final. She simply called it by its medical term. ...herpes (simplex).

Fedace
06-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Why are you guys pretending to know what you are talking about when you know nothing about medical profession ? She doesn't have Sexual Herpes, and they are NOT what they are talking about. They are talking about Herpes Zoster which is Chicken pox virus. Many people had it when they were child and the virus goes dormant and when you are extremely stressed out or immune fx goes awry, it pops out again. In other words, chicken pox virus becomes active again but just not as severe. This happens all the time with very sick patients in the hospitals. The SEX HERPES which is called Herpes Simplex is totally different virus. :D

ja_
06-15-2007, 03:20 AM
the real question is where has your mouth been?
It doesn't have to have been anywhere. Like jmsx521 said, it runs in families. I inherited it from my mom, so chances are my kids will have it, etc.

ja_
06-15-2007, 03:24 AM
Why are you guys pretending to know what you are talking about when you know nothing about medical profession ? She doesn't have Sexual Herpes, and they are NOT what they are talking about. They are talking about Herpes Zoster which is Chicken pox virus. Many people had it when they were child and the virus goes dormant and when you are extremely stressed out or immune fx goes awry, it pops out again. In other words, chicken pox virus becomes active again but just not as severe. This happens all the time with very sick patients in the hospitals. The SEX HERPES which is called Herpes Simplex is totally different virus. :D
I don't know if this is totally correct. Herpes Simplex 2 is cold sores and canker sores. Herpes Simplex 1 is genital warts. Herpes Zoster is chicken pox. When Herpes zoster goes dormant, it reemerges as shingles.

Everyone sounding all intellectual in this thread. Awesome :cool:

diggler
06-15-2007, 06:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes

There are two types of Herpes Simplex Virus: HSV Type 1 and HSV Type 2. The ways in which herpes infections manifest themselves vary tremendously among individuals. The following are general descriptions of the courses outbreaks may take in the oral and genital regions.

Herpes Is Very Common

It is estimated that 50% of adults in the United Kingdom are carriers of the Herpes Simplex Virus, many of whom will never exhibit any symptoms of infection. Similarly, 50% of Americans have HSV-1 antibodies in their blood by the time they have become young adults, and by age 50 or over, 80-90% of Americans have HSV-1 antibodies.

Herpes is contracted through direct skin contact with an infected person.

Physical or psychological stress can trigger an outbreak.

Half the people on this message board probably have herpes. If you've kissed someone, you've probably got it.

BTW, I gave it to Sharapova.

callitout
06-15-2007, 06:37 AM
kids even get HSV-1 by sharing germs at daycare. Essentially HSV-1 is ubiquitous.

ja_
06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
It breaks out around her mouth pretty bad. Very easily noticed.

Luctator
06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Herpes means cold soars in alot of european languages....

jmverdugo
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
In spanish, there is no cold soar, it is just called herpes.

edmondsm
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Yep, everyone that has had chickenpox has herpes. This is what happened to James Blake during his horrible ordeal in 2004.

Chauvalito
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Exactly. Herpes Simplex 1...if you have EVER gotten a "cold sore", you have Herpes simplex 1...

its really not a big deal given that a large amount of the population gets cold sores.

Stress can exacerbate their appearance, hence Henin is prone to them given her introverted personality...

ITF
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't know if this is totally correct. Herpes Simplex 2 is cold sores and canker sores. Herpes Simplex 1 is genital warts. Herpes Zoster is chicken pox. When Herpes zoster goes dormant, it reemerges as shingles.

Everyone sounding all intellectual in this thread. Awesome :cool:

No, there is no known cause for canker sores. I get those all the time.

Cold sores are outside the mouth and visible near the lips--this is rare and herpes does cause this.

Fee
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
The level of disinformation and misinformation in this thread is nearly stunning (and can we agree not to quote Wikipedia for a while?).

'Genital warts' and Herpes Simplex 1 are absolutely not the same thing. Genital lesions/blisters/sores can be caused by Herpes 1 (or Herpes 2 to be precise). Genital warts are usually associated with the HPV virus.

ja_
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Thank you, oh great Fee, for enlightening us.
I didn't know the effects of HPV.

OrangeOne
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
'Genital warts' and Herpes Simplex 1 are absolutely not the same thing. Genital lesions/blisters/sores can be caused by Herpes 1 (or Herpes 2 to be precise). Genital warts are usually associated with the HPV virus.

Two things Fee:

1. I'm not sure your post finally clarifies things for me completely, but I feel like I'm getting there, and I'm happy to learn. Let's see how I've gone merging your posts and those of another poster (ja_), and ignoring the wiki post on your behalf. Please feel free to adjust the below as necessary...

Herpes Simplex 2 is the cause of / is associated with cold sores and canker sores (but can also be seen in genital legions / blisters / sores).

Herpes Simplex 1 is the cause of / is associated with genital legions / blisters / sores.

Herpes Zoster is the cause of / is associated with chicken pox.

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is the cause of / is associated with genital warts.

------------

The level of disinformation and misinformation in this thread is nearly stunning (and can we agree not to quote Wikipedia for a while?).Yeah, but this thread also is one of those that makes me like the boards. People are learning, people are (reasonably politely) correcting and helping one another learn, people are discussing a topic that is a little edgy in a mature way. Whilst people may not have got it right the first time, people seem willing to learn, and I'd rather hang with people who want to learn than almost people of any other type :)

I also think that whilst wiki can (obviously) be wrong, I usually prefer to see people quoting wiki as opposed to people who know nothing about something simply spouting their own opinions as if they were gospel. Many things that people throw out there in the health and fitness forums could be so much better if only they'd check wiki first, even if it's not perfect....

katarddx
06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
not 100% right. on many euro languages herpes IS cold sore.

Fee
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Thank you, oh great Fee, for enlightening us.
I didn't know the effects of HPV.

I gathered as much from your posts.

OO, let me see if I can clarify and paraphrase Dr. Dean Edell (www.kgo.com (http://www.kgo.com), the radio link, no the TV link).

Herpes Simplex used to be divided into 1 and 2 to specify above the waist and below the waist. I think there has been too much 'intermingling' if you get my drift, and those definitions may no longer apply. Yes, it generally applies to the blisers/lesions you see outside the mouth and on the genitals (but if you use your imagination, I'd bet you can figure out that lesions inside the mouth are also possible.) I think the word 'herpes' can mean different things from country to country, and obvious Justine didn't feel any sense of taboo in using that term. I don't think there is a US athlete who would ever say it, unless to throw it as an insult, perhaps.

Chicken pox, herpes zoster, and shingles are from a virus family that is related to the Herpes Simplex family, but I cannot speak more specifically on that (try www.healthcentral.com (http://www.healthcentral.com) and see if there is more there). A friend of mine had a very bad case of shingles, and it took doctors more than a week to even diagnose it. I can't remember if he ever had chicken pox.

Yes, HPV is associated with genital warts. It is possible that 'genital warts' is evolving into a more generic health term, but I hope that will not be the case. HPV is spreading rapidly and it would be wise for the sexually active with the potential for multiple partners to learn more about it.

The info about canker sores seems to be a bit ambiguous, as seen here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm

Perhaps we can get Marius to start posting links to more reliable health info sources, Mayo Family Clininc, Johns Hopkins, something...

pound cat
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I gathered as much from your posts.

OO, let me see if I can clarify and paraphrase Dr. Dean Edell (www.kgo.com (http://www.kgo.com), the radio link, no the TV link).

Herpes Simplex used to be divided into 1 and 2 to specify above the waist and below the waist. I think there has been too much 'intermingling' if you get my drift, and those definitions may no longer apply. Yes, it generally applies to the blisers/lesions you see outside the mouth and on the genitals (but if you use your imagination, I'd bet you can figure out that lesions inside the mouth are also possible.) I think the word 'herpes' can mean different things from country to country, and obvious Justine didn't feel any sense of taboo in using that term. I don't think there is a US athlete who would ever say it, unless to throw it as an insult, perhaps.

Chicken pox, herpes zoster, and shingles are from a virus family that is related to the Herpes Simplex family, but I cannot speak more specifically on that (try www.healthcentral.com (http://www.healthcentral.com) and see if there is more there). A friend of mine had a very bad case of shingles, and it took doctors more than a week to even diagnose it. I can't remember if he ever had chicken pox.

Yes, HPV is associated with genital warts. It is possible that 'genital warts' is evolving into a more generic health term, but I hope that will not be the case. HPV is spreading rapidly and it would be wise for the sexually active with the potential for multiple partners to learn more about it.

The info about canker sores seems to be a bit ambiguous, as seen here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm

Perhaps we can get Marius to start posting links to more reliable health info sources, Mayo Family Clininc, Johns Hopkins, something...

www.mayoclinic.com clear, concise, understandable, authoritative

kv581
06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Fee,

Actually Herpes Simplex 1 and 2 are different viruses within the same family. This distinction is really not that important except for virology classification. Traditionally, Type 1 occurs more common orally, while Type 2 is more likely to be genital. However, as you've said, things are mingled these days.

kv581
06-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Herpes Simplex 2 is the cause of / is associated with cold sores and canker sores (but can also be seen in genital legions / blisters / sores).

Herpes Simplex 1 is the cause of / is associated with genital legions / blisters / sores.

Herpes Zoster is the cause of / is associated with chicken pox.

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is the cause of / is associated with genital warts.

I'm gonna fix OrangeOne's post up a bit:

Herpes Simplex 1 is the cause of / is associated with cold sores (but can also be seen in genital legions / blisters / sores).

Herpes Simplex 2 is the cause of / is associated with genital legions / blisters / sores. However, can also cause cold sores.

Herpes Zoster is the cause of / is associated with chicken pox and shingles.

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is the cause of / is associated with genital warts and cervical cancer.

kv581
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
It doesn't have to have been anywhere. Like jmsx521 said, it runs in families. I inherited it from my mom, so chances are my kids will have it, etc.

You cannot "inherit" a virus. If your mom has it, chances are that she infected you at some point. The herpes virus is pretty easily transmittable.

heycal
06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Justine's herpes sores has never been my favorite part of watching her matches... I prefer watching her outbreak-less, but that's just me.

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that herpes is herpes, more or less. If Justine or anyone else has those sores on her mouth, she may well have them elsewhere, and she can pass on her herpes to others, either to their mouths, or elsewhere...

EDIT: Just researched this a bit. What I say above seems to be true, but with some subtle (and scary!) nuances.

No one is safe!!!

mctennis
06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Cold sores are herpes. She gets them when she is very nervous and worried. some call them fever blisters.

drakulie
06-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Her hair piece came out??

FedererUberAlles
06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Sharapova gets it really bad, I notice. But maybe I'm wrong?

ja_
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Her hair piece came out??
Yes, that's basically what we're (or they're) saying, LOL.

AlpineCadet
06-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey Fee,

Actually Herpes Simplex 1 and 2 are different viruses within the same family. This distinction is really not that important except for virology classification. Traditionally, Type 1 occurs more common orally, while Type 2 is more likely to be genital. However, as you've said, things are mingled these days.

Thanks for quoting the internet for us.

heycal
06-15-2007, 07:35 PM

I doubt it. If Sharapova got herpes "really bad" I'm sure more of us would have noticed it by now.

kv581
06-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for quoting the internet for us.

Or... maybe it came off the top of my head?

AlpineCadet
06-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Are you really trying to tell us that you are the herpes expert?

Fedace
06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
So it is time to confess, who in this forum has herpes Simplex, the sexual kind ? I already know that atlanta Falcons quarterback has it..

AlpineCadet
06-15-2007, 09:50 PM
I think drakulie does, have you seen his online pictures? :)

slice bh compliment
06-15-2007, 09:53 PM
All of this would be funnier if it had come from Boris Becker rather than JH.

BTW, I enjoyed the wiki-versy and the 7th grade Health class!

Fee
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey Fee,

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Cold sores are herpes. She gets them when she is very nervous and worried. some call them fever blisters.

Yes, some do use the term 'fever blisters'. Kind of odd in a way, since those sores have nothing to do with either colds or fevers really.

Never noticed. She does get really bad acne sometimes, but I can't say I've ever noticed anything that close to her mouth.

Sean Dugan
06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
This gets my vote as the most stupid TW post/thread ever.

I guess sheer stupidity doesn't offend the moderators like writing something remotely non-PC apparently does.

croatian sensation
06-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Oh for Christ's sake...yes, your immunity goes down, your herpes comes out.

Enough of pretending to be medical experts, and bringing out things that have nothing to do with another, except that they are the same family of viruses.

:roll: :roll: :roll: