PDA

View Full Version : cotton vs. so called dri fit

lilxjohnyy
06-14-2007, 09:39 PM
hey i was just wondering if any of you guys prefer classic cotton cloth over the so called dri fit cloth that everyone wears. i sometimes wear drifit cloth but i dont think they are as comfortable when i play tennis ...share your opinions

muggy
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
the benefits of dri fit outweigh any disparity in comfort, as many dri-fit material clothes feel great these days.

Court_Jester
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Cotton soaks up sweat and keeps it whereas dri-fit polyester allows the sweat to evaporate much more readily, hence giving you a dry feeling shirt. IMO, dri-fit shirts are far superior to cotton and so worth their price.

psamp14
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
it depends on the quality of the dri-fit as well...some are of softer material while some can feel a little itchy to your skin in hot weather

i tend to wear cotton shirts a lot for practicing on the wall, etc, ...but drifit for matches

fastdunn
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
yeah, top of the line nike stuff i have is really good. almost always
feel like it's actually cold. i feel cold if i wear them at night here in california.

polyester got better recently. i had a hard time to convince some
older folks to switch to polyester. they have old impression of the stuff
that wasn't too good. in fact, they were already wearing polyester
thinking they were cheap silk or something. polyester became that good
(after crafty japanese folks started to make micro thin polyester..)

but i still wear cotton in winter times. during the hot summer days,
i would never wear cotton t-shirt. that is not healthy for my body.

Bodacious DVT
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I like the performance of dri-fit, but the feel of cotton. Guess what i found the other day?

Under-Armour makes dri-fit cotton. feels soft like cotton, fits loose and airy like cotton, but wicks away moisture like dri-fit. I think i'll go get some more soon, its fricken amazing!

MTXR
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I like drifit better, but it does stink up quick when you sweat.

LarougeNY
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
All I wear for tennis is cotton, have to get my hands on Drifit though, our school's jerseys were nike Drifit and I loved it.

Zets147
06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
that dri fit stuff rocks

cotton is ok too.. lol

bagung
06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
cotton is the way to go..... poly is man-made... it is just comparing the natural gut against poly.....

Bodacious DVT
06-15-2007, 07:51 PM
cotton is the way to go..... poly is man-made... it is just comparing the natural gut against poly.....

so where do you stand on pamela anderson?;)

croatian sensation
06-17-2007, 03:33 AM
I like the performance of dri-fit, but the feel of cotton. Guess what i found the other day?

Under-Armour makes dri-fit cotton. feels soft like cotton, fits loose and airy like cotton, but wicks away moisture like dri-fit. I think i'll go get some more soon, its fricken amazing!

Nike makes dri-fit cotton as well. I got 2 Nike polos which are dri-fit and they have 63% cotton. Though, I didn't see any in the TW or other online tennis stores, I always see dri-fit cotton stuff in a regular Nike store.

On topic...dri fit. Yesterday I was playing in cotton shorts and top and nooo...it's bad when the top sticks to you (though, I don't know how it is with men t-shirts which are loose, but dri fit is really good for women stuff, since we wear tight stuff so you can really notice the difference).
But dri fit is the only poly I'd wear...in all other situations and types of clothes...cotton is the best.

skiracer55
06-18-2007, 08:27 AM
...their stuff is the best, IMHO, all the way around...

fridrix
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Danskin made some kind of two layer cotton/polyester fabric for the same reason, maybe you can find you a leotard.

fridrix
06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Cotton soaks up sweat and keeps it whereas dri-fit polyester allows the sweat to evaporate much more readily, hence giving you a dry feeling shirt. IMO, dri-fit shirts are far superior to cotton and so worth their price.

In theory, but I played a two-hour, very hot match and the dri-fit type shirt stayed soaked the whole time. It was from Walmart though lol.

Nothing like putting on a nice dry cotton shirt afterwards!

10sfreak
06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I found some Adidas dri-fit type shirts (Climalite) for $10 each a couple of weeks ago. Only had 2 of my size, dang it! But I snapped them up, and they work great!

fastdunn
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM

well gut is being resilient for very long time in nature but
i'm not exactly sure if cotton is wicking moisture in nature.

zapvor
06-19-2007, 02:54 AM
i think cotton is great. but i do have this pair of dri fit shorts and it never gets wet! its pretty freaky actually

mctennis
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll wear cotton over any dri-fit apparel. The dri-fit makes me feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag and I get a lot more heated wearing them. I'll take sweaty cotton anyday.

kalic
07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Is dri-fit socks something like coolmax? Coolmax is great for walking and cycling, but for tennis and baketball I prefer cotton.

jdelcue
07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Cotton for practice and Dri-Fit for matches is my ideal setup...
Although for shorts, I always wear either mesh tennis shorts or some Nike Dri-Fits or something...

WildVolley
07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
For tennis, I'm sold on dri fit, which is just Nike's name for polyester garments. I'll take poly by lots of different makers.

I sweat so much that cotton becomes sticky and wet during the summer. I just don't find that comfortable. Even when the poly is saturated it doesn't weigh me down much. At some point, I sweat so much that the poly saturates too.

I have a dri-release cotton/poly shirt that wicks much better than pure cotton and feels more like a standard cotton shirt.

For low activity, or casual wear, I tend to prefer the feel of cotton.

rabidcow
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
The under armor loose gear is the way to go, feels/looks like cotton moves sweat like drifit/polyester

slice bh compliment
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I like Dia-Dry poyester shirts and shorts.

I friend of mine (who goes through two cotton polos per set in the summer) calls Nike shirts "Wet-Fit". He's a cotton only guy. There are a few of those left. I was one until 2006.

I like a thin cotton pique, too, but not in the summer. And if so, just casually or for a light hit with the family. Not for a match.

CivicLx
07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
i dont really notice how nasty a sweaty cotton t shirt is when i play, but afterwards when i'm just sitting around, it feels awful

poly is the way to go for me

richw76
07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
yeah I think dri-fit, coolmax, armour thread, blah, blah are all the same thing. although I see coolmax in clothing from different labels/brands. dri-fit is only nike.

I have shirts that are made from all and they are basically the same. Only thing when I order a dri-fit, coolmax, etc shirt I'll get a size or two larger than cotton since they seem to run smaller.

WildVolley
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
yeah I think dri-fit, coolmax, armour thread, blah, blah are all the same thing. although I see coolmax in clothing from different labels/brands. dri-fit is only nike.

Most of these brands are polyester, but they may not be all the same in terms of performance. The thickness and weave of the fabric probably has something to do with how it performs, and there may be some other technical differences.

However, it is interesting to note that even something like dri-fit isn't necessarily the same thing, as Nike labels a lot of stuff dri-fit even though the weave and fabric thickness is definitely different. Also, one of the Nike garments I have is labeled fit dry?

mdjenders
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
As much as I like my poly dri-fit stuff (most of it the cheap but nice c9 stuff from Target), sometimes when it is really humid a good old cotton shirt helps me to dry my hands off between points. With poly, you are just rubbing sweat with sweaty soaked fabric.

Char
07-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Played a couple hours yesterday in cotton in 85+ degrees and 80+% humidity because my other stuff wasnt clean. Let's just say I will never, ever, do that again. It got so uncomfortable as to actually affect my playing. Have to admit though that I am used to dri-fit/coolmax type wear because I am also a cyclist, so have a tendency to prefer it now anyway.

slice bh compliment
07-12-2007, 05:51 AM
What did we do before moisture management fabrics?
Before cellphones?
Before air conditioning?

I know I used to go through two or three shirts a match with cotton polos. Now just one or two max with the poly.

Gost
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Don't put all polyster t-shirts into one basket, cheap one you may get won't be same good quality as expensive one, although they are made from same material. Under quality I mean how it feels to wear and how it handles moisture. So my guess those didn't like feel of polyster clothing just tried something cheap in price/quality sense, try quality staff from decent brand, cotton can't stand competition in this area :)

slice bh compliment
07-12-2007, 02:52 PM
You know what is strange? Poly is so cheap as a material. Maybe it is just expensive to make and market?

Remember back when cotton was king? They even had tv ads promoting it.
And now, the cotton industry must be down a notch or two, I'm just guessing here....anyone know?

goober
07-12-2007, 05:09 PM
I only wear cotton during the winter when it is cold and that's not that often around here :)

Otherwise drifit all the way. Cotton is only comfortable if you don't sweat. Once you are soaked, I don't see how people can say they still prefer it.

Zets147
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
As much as I like my poly dri-fit stuff (most of it the cheap but nice c9 stuff from Target), sometimes when it is really humid a good old cotton shirt helps me to dry my hands off between points. With poly, you are just rubbing sweat with sweaty soaked fabric.

Yea, but also if the cotton T shirt is wet, then you are screwed. That's why I always pack a 100% Turkish Cotton Towel.

K-LEG
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Depends on weather...

If it's hot go with the dri-fit if not go with the cotton.

Court_Jester
07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Otherwise drifit all the way. Cotton is only comfortable if you don't sweat. Once you are soaked, I don't see how people can say they still prefer it.

Yea, but also if the cotton T shirt is wet, then you are screwed. That's why I always pack a 100% Turkish Cotton Towel.

Turkish? I've always had the impression that Egyptian cotton is the best, not to raise any argument. ;)

BTW, I agree with both comments completely. Sweat-soaked cotton shirts is just plain awful on a hot and humid day on the tennis court.