PDA

View Full Version : What Color of String Do You Use?

Benjamin
09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Just out of curiousity, what color of string do you mainly use in your racquet of choice?

Benjamin

rooski
09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
New poll...."which preference poll will Benjamin start next?"

--overgrip color
--headtape color
--vibration thingy color
--sox color
--shoe color

Just messing with you Benjamin. I use whatever comes out of my string box when I reach in. Usually natural or gold. A few sets of silver ALU left which I will be glad to be rid of.

Benjamin
10-01-2004, 03:58 AM
rooski,

I did think about asking the overgrip color but I've first got to decide on which overgrip :D I've been using Wilson Cushion Aire Super Tack Overgrip for what seems like forever but have recently thought about switching to either to the Volkl or Prince Tacky overgrips. Figure I'll go with either black or yellow...depending on whether I want to stand out a little more or be a little more subdued :D .

Headtape I use clear.

Vibration thingy I use the "natural rubber band" color.

Socks are typically white with a black Swoosh.

Shoe Color is usually mostly white except when I wear my Bonzers which have a lot of blue at the toe.

On a side note...do you not like the ALU? That's what I'm using now but thinking about going back to synthetic (after a demo stint with a Diablo w/Prince Syn Gut) gut because my volleys just don't ever seem solid and it sound as though it may be the fact that the strings are so loose - I string around 57 but I'm sure it's in the low 50s by now.

Thanks.

Benjamin

rooski
10-01-2004, 04:53 AM
The original purpose of poly strings was to provide great durability but be less harsh than kevlar. I've found the ALU to be suprisingly non-durable and horrible in holding tension (like all polys really).

Yes at low tensions it feels a bit better (less harsh) and has a bit more pop but for $15 a set and the durability of 16g PSGD??? I'll take my 4 sets of PSGD any day. Lastly, I always find myself wanting to cut ALU out before it breaks because it feels so lousy. PSGD breaks about the time it starts to feel bad which to me is a better thing.

Benjamin
10-01-2004, 06:05 AM
rooski,

We seemed to have very different experiences with the Luxilon. I went to it because I was only getting 5 or 6 sets out of Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex (mine was 17g however). I now get over 50 sets with the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L.

I agree that the Luxilon does feel somewhat 'lousey'...moreso than I ever realized. I thought it felt great until I hit with the Diablo demo that had Prince Synthetic Gut 16 with duraflex and it just felt so solid compared to my POG mid with the Luxilon. I'm sure that some of that solid feel came from the racquet but I feel quite a bit of it came from the strings also.

After returning the demo and playing three sets with my POG mid the other night it is back to feeling solid....I guess because I'm not comparing it beside another racquet. Fabulous spin. I do notice that the POG mid (with Luxilon) does still feel a lot less solid at the net than the Diablo Mid did with the Prince.

Benjamin

kreative
10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
i'm looking for a lime green string color, but alas, nowhere to be found. closest green is prolly sensation. i also like white, blue, and silver, but for many strings, you don't have color choice, so i guess natural is most prevalent.

for overgrips, you should try yonex supergrap. nice tack, great feel.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
kreative,

Laserfibre Classic Synthetic Gut comes in lime green. FYI

kreative
10-01-2004, 01:23 PM
hello jerry (in my best newman voice),

where can i find it?

Koz
10-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I usually prefer a natural color, followed by white or black. Depends on what colors the strings are available in. Right now I have a set of black Lightning in my volkl. A set of natural (colored) natural gut in my other, a set of volkl powerfibre in my 3rd (natural/clear?), and a set of monogut in my 4th, which is kind of silvery

MChong
10-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, I actually use clear or natural because that's just what the majority of the strings are available in. I'd rather choose the string for the string and not for the color, you know what I mean, although the Luxilon BB ALUs look nice! Well, I would just use anything that makes the racquet look nice, and black does the trick with lots of frames including the Diablo which is why I want black strings, but I hybrid often so it makes it hard to keep it all black. I also just voted for black anyways because it's what I would use if every string had a choice in color.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-03-2004, 10:56 AM
kreative,

Hello Newman! I misfired on this one. I am color blind and thought the optic yellow was lime green. Looks close to me. Sorry. It can be had from a couple of web sites. Send me a message at cokebear5@yahoo.com and I will try to help you out.

joe sch
10-04-2004, 07:24 AM
My fav is thick red nat gut on my black stealth bombers :)