PDA

View Full Version : I'm playing 4.5 team match vs. backboard = help

borisboris
02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
I've been told I'm playing a return Chang'er. He runs everything down and makes you go for broke - he's very patient but not dominant on any particular shot/serve yet clocks winners when given daylight. How does a lumbering power-stroker counter?

Cypo
02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I think what Lindsey Davenport is credited with is taking control of the point as quickly as she can, and just blasting away from one cornor to the other until she gets a shot she can really put away. I guess the trick is to use your power as quickly as possible so they are returning shots which you can blast to you .

kreative
02-20-2004, 11:30 AM
play your game, don't play his/hers, don't get stuck in long rallies if that's not your thing. take control early, keep the opponent guessing w/ varying your shot selection, come into the net and put pressure on him/her to pass you. just try not to go for broke and "one shot wonders" b/c they may not hold you for the whole match. try and stay focused in the point, keep moving your feet.

Bungalo Bill
02-20-2004, 04:47 PM
The best way to hit a speedy gonzales is to hit behind em! Make them swtich directions all the time. This way you can maintain your game while hitting the ball behind em. When you hit the ball behind someone it is very difficult for the player to get set and do something that will cause damage to you. You got a good chance to get the ball you want to take control of the point.

borisboris
02-20-2004, 08:14 PM
:D These are great posts - very educational and direct! I've managed never to have a lesson and proud yet it is also very detramental. I will begin by "crushing & rushing" like Luke Jensen would say. Again these are very good tactics to execute. Hit like Lindsey - put it behind - hit big but not biggest unless offered - play the point - take charge early. I'll post a follow up Sun.
Thanks

Cypo
02-23-2004, 10:49 AM
How'd it go borisboris ?

borisboris
02-23-2004, 02:01 PM
:x Well I could lie like a true American and say all went well but I had a day to forget. Up a break in the 2nd and I produced 2 dbl faults a missed over head and another dbl. Mentally I was done - the gods abandoned me on center ct. My groundstrokes were sound and I dictated the pts. yet couldn't track his kicker serve. My serve was unusualy poor. My team won but I have to figure that my game plan was the correct one yet I didn't execute - even the pros have off days.

Cypo
02-24-2004, 02:46 AM
Sorry to hear it - but at least the team won, that's something anyway. If it helps you to feel better, it was a bad weekend for me too. Before my first round match, several people made comments along the lines that I wouldn't win. I took the first set 5-3 (we have this stupid 4 game modus) and was up 3-0 in the second - and lost 3-5 and the tie break 3-7. mental melt down - because I couldn't get those before the match comments out of my head ! chalk it up to experience I guess, next time I'll be ready for it (I hope).