PDA

View Full Version : Roddick hit with the T2000!

Moose Malloy
06-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Some interesting thoughts, notice that he said it was "heavy?"
I've read here that pros' racquets today are weighted so that they are basically as heavy as the racquets used 30 years ago. Guess Roddick's racquet isn't.

ANDY RODDICK: I've actually hit some with it. He brought that to practice one day, one of our first days, had me hit 10 minutes with it. He goes, "Good, you can hit with this thing, you can hit with anything" (imitating Jimmy Connors' voice).

Q. How was it?
ANDY RODDICK: You can hit through the ball. You just can't get these massive topspin shots that people do now. I don't think Rafa would like it, that's for sure. I hit through the ball a little bit. I didn't mind it too much. It's heavy, though.

http://www.artoischampionships.com/1/news/transcripts/roddick5.pdf

psamp14
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
moose, i always enjoy your posts here at TTW..

interesting indeed that roddick actually hit with the T2000...he says he hits through the ball a little bit and didnt mind it too much...i would like to see him use like a K95, because i think he'd play well with it and he could forget the loopy looping forehands and hit more flat on the forehand side while perhaps having slightly better volleys and making his game more exciting like back in 2003/2004 when fans were crazed about his power

sure things are different now but roddick is still a very good player....

Jonnyf
06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Interessting, I've always wanted to play with one.!

SFrazeur
06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice find. I only wish there were pictures.

Calling Photo-Shop enthusiasts!

-SF

scotus
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Some interesting thoughts, notice that he said it was "heavy?"
I've read here that pros' racquets today are weighted so that they are basically as heavy as the racquets used 30 years ago. Guess Roddick's racquet isn't.

Well, I think we need to consider the possibility that Connors himself might have modified this racquet so that it could well be heavier than the retail version of T2000.

FD3S
06-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Here's a way to improve Roddick's volleying; make him use that. The PD might as well be the PS85 by comparison...

pow
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I think we need to consider the possibility that Connors himself might have modified this racquet so that it could well be heavier than the retail version of T2000.

People actually used lead tape back then?
haha wow. That's like putting wheels under tires.

xtremerunnerars
06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Err...you really have to hit with a T2000.

I know the pros racquets are pretty heavy from the numbers I've seen...but a stock T2000 really does weigh what feels like a ton. Roddick saying it's heavy doesn't necessarily mean he is using a "light" racquet.

dirtballer
06-16-2007, 08:12 AM
I played with a T2000 in the late 60's. My recollection is that it was good for flat strokes and good for volleys but not good for topspin. Balls tended to trampoline when you tried to power balls from the baseline. I don't think it felt heavier than the wood rackets of the day but they were heavier than most of today's rackets.

caesar66
06-16-2007, 08:19 AM
I've seen one of Connors' racquets at the NCAA Tennis hall of fame in Athens. Dan McGill, the guy who runs the Hall of Fame, contacted Connors about getting one of the T2000s, and Connors apparently had sent a ton of them back to wilson. Wilson sent McGill one of his frames. I've not hit with a T 2000, but I imagine they are heavy enough stock, but this had heavy looking lead tape coating the 12 O'clock area. If thats what Roddick was hitting with, I imagine that he's quite justified in saying that it was heavy.

P.S. The Museum also has the pro staff 6.1 stretches that the Bryan's used in college, the prostaff 6.5 that Blake used against Morrisson in the 99 NCAA finals (as well as the radicals Morrisson used), and also a hammer 6.2 (NOT A PJ) that was COVERED in lead that Blake used before the 6.5. Believe it, I saw it with my own eyes. Other notables, Mal Washington's Ultra 2, a buuuuunch of Jack Kramer Autographs, and some JK Prostaffs. Its really awesome, if you call them you can set up a tour w/ McGill as the guide, and he knows soooo much. He has either the real racquet or the same model that every NCAA tennis champ has used since the first NCAA championship (back to the wood sticks that didnt even have leather grips, from the late 1800s)

slice bh compliment
06-16-2007, 08:22 AM
I've got one hanging around somewhere. I've hit with it once....and I thought what Davis Foster Wallace put into words in one of his essays (or was it in a footnote?)....~~paraphrasing here~~
~The Wilson t2000 is the single *****tiest pice of tennis equipment ever made.~

Dennis Anyone?
06-16-2007, 08:30 AM
If I recall correctly, didn't Connors weight his T2000 racquet head asymmetrically? The 3 (or 9) was supposedly heavier than its counterpart and Connors preferred to have that weighted side oriented in the same way on every groundstroke--either always up or always down.

Anyone remember this?

mrw
06-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Back in the 70's, I owned a T2000. It was a gift from a Wilson Rep. I didn't like it at all. To me it had zero feel. Huge power but zero feel. In my mind it made Jimmy all the better player to have used it at the top of the game.

I collect old racquets and so far have not had the urge to add one to the collection.