PDA

View Full Version : Roddick has the groundstrokes of martina hingis

The Gorilla
06-16-2007, 01:58 AM
why is he not concerned about this?

He's going to be destroyed by federer, who can return his serve.Back when he took a set off him in that wimbledon final, his forehand was just so powerful, it probably had more raw power than federer's, and now I'd say it's a top 150 forehand.

pj80
06-16-2007, 02:02 AM
hater.....

tintin
06-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Hingis still has 5 slams to Roddick's 1
maybe it might be a good idea for him to switch:roll:

orangeblood
06-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Not a fair comparison considering that Hingis at least has a decent backhand down the line.

Andres
06-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Not a fair comparison considering that Hingis at least has a decent backhand down the line.
And one heck of a volley :D

rommil
06-16-2007, 06:32 AM
And one heck of a volley :D

....and a mindful game.

helloworld
06-16-2007, 06:42 AM
What's the point of comparing WTA to ATP players anyway ? No matter how bad Roddick's groundstroke is, he could still easily outrally Martina anyway.

Forehand Forever
06-16-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm not a Roddick hater in any means but his forehand does look weaker now. He has to go on to youtube and watch some videos of him using that huge forehand he once had.

Tennis_Nickmo
06-16-2007, 08:32 AM
What a stupid comparison, as most, if not all people would take Roddicks gstrokes over Martina's anyday. IT would appear that his forehand has lost something though, which seems a bit odd at this stage in his career, but its definitely better than a top 150.

ACE of Hearts
06-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Roddick had 50 plus winners in that match.Thats the highest amount of winners i have seen him hit against Roger.Roger was very off in that match, quite surprise at how Roddick started the match but he was calm about it and settled down.

crazylevity
06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
If Hingis had Roddick's serve though, she'd be the female GOAT in a flash.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-16-2007, 09:16 AM
if roddick and hingis play, all she has to worry about is return the serve, if she can, she will destroy roddick.

tintin
06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
If Hingis had Roddick's serve though, she'd be the female GOAT in a flash.

well Roddick serve have gotten just 1 slam compared to the 5 slams and weak serves of Hingis
go figure;)

tennissavy
06-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Reality check time- Martina Hingis' technique is so text book perfect and superior to Roddick's technique that he should strive to have half of her precision and form.

The Gorilla
06-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Reality check time- Martina Hingis' technique is so text book perfect and superior to Roddick's technique that he should strive to have half of her precision and form.

hingis's groundstrokes are tchnically apalling, it's her tactical genius that allows her to rise above them.

callitout
06-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Didnt Roddick make finals of USO and take a set from Roger last year.
Didnt he win cincy last year. I mean I know that its fun to pretend that he is a 3.5 player, but he's been top 10 for like the last 4-5 years.
Roger murders him and everyone else on a hardcourt...so what.
Roddick's always terrible on clay, and was this year as well. There's nothing new here.

Nadal_Freak
06-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Exaggerating a bit but yeah Roddick's baseline game is not that good.

edmondsm
06-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Didnt he win cincy last year. I mean I know that its fun to pretend that he is a 3.5 player, but he's been top 10 for like the last 4-5 years.
Roddick's always terrible on clay, and was this year as well. There's nothing new here.

No nothing new at all. The Roddick lynch mob likes to get together every once in a while and listen to themselves talk. It's part of this board. They appearently have a problem with the fact that the guy is still in the top 5 after nearly 5 years even though he "sucks", and would get beat by a girl.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-16-2007, 11:10 AM

wow, american tennis has fallen off, we used to rbag about winning slams, now we brag about being a finalist, hingis is better than roddick.

The Gorilla
06-16-2007, 11:11 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
No, I don't think you understand, what I'm saying is that in the last ocuple of weeks roddicks forehand has gotten dramatically worse.

Forehand Forever
06-16-2007, 11:18 AM
if roddick and hingis play, all she has to worry about is return the serve, if she can, she will destroy roddick.

Yeah right.

Pusher
06-16-2007, 11:21 AM
No nothing new at all. The Roddick lynch mob likes to get together every once in a while and listen to themselves talk. It's part of this board. They appearently have a problem with the fact that the guy is still in the top 5 after nearly 5 years even though he "sucks", and would get beat by a girl.

Yep.

And Roddick didn't quit the tour (like Hingis) because he was losing to Fed. No, Roddick hires Connors and works like hell to improve his game. Roddick is an overachiever and I will always pull for guys like that.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Yep.

And Roddick didn't quit the tour (like Hingis) because he was losing to Fed. No, Roddick hires Connors and works like hell to improve his game. Roddick is an overachiever and I will always pull for guys like that.
hingis has 5 slams, roddick has 1.

krz
06-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm begining to think that Heavy Metal Star is serious about Hingis being able to beat Roddick...

If the top 10 WTA players were to play on the ATP they I doubt any of them would come up with a 1st round win at challengers. Theres no comparison between the levels of play in the WTA and ATP.

tennissavy
06-16-2007, 01:33 PM
hingis's groundstrokes are tchnically apalling, it's her tactical genius that allows her to rise above them.

"tchnically apalling"!!!!! So why do ALL the commentators state that she has textbook technique on every groundstroke and volley???? Don't bother to answer that question. It is something you should be asking yourself.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 02:12 PM
"tchnically apalling"!!!!! So why do ALL the commentators state that she has textbook technique on every groundstroke and volley???? Don't bother to answer that question. It is something you should be asking yourself.

Henin who is the same height, but looks smaller and weaker then Hingis, hits the ball like twice as hard. I suppose that is because of Hingis's flawless technique. :p

tangerine
06-16-2007, 02:17 PM
9 threads about Roddick on the front page of TW. woohoo! Vamos Andy. :cool:

edmondsm
06-16-2007, 04:07 PM
hingis has 5 slams, roddick has 1.

What are you, the Talk Tennis stat boy? Here's some other dudes that have fewer slams than Hingis: Nadal, Moya, F. Lopez. What is your point exactly?

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
What are you, the Talk Tennis stat boy? Here's some other dudes that have fewer slams than Hingis: Nadal, Moya, F. Lopez. What is your point exactly?

roddick sucks.

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 04:36 PM
why is he not concerned about this?

He's going to be destroyed by federer, who can return his serve.Back when he took a set off him in that wimbledon final, his forehand was just so powerful, it probably had more raw power than federer's, and now I'd say it's a top 150 forehand.

So true thats why I still argue that roddick performed better in the 04 wimbie final than the 05 wimbie final even though he supposedly trained harder in 05. His forehand was awesome back in the day. Just raw power even with ****** technique. His return of serve to his forehand side was deadly as well back in 03 and 04. Im routing for him to get to the 07 wimbie final as well to take on federer.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 05:45 PM
So true thats why I still argue that roddick performed better in the 04 wimbie final than the 05 wimbie final even though he supposedly trained harder in 05. His forehand was awesome back in the day. Just raw power even with ****** technique. His return of serve to his forehand side was deadly as well back in 03 and 04. Im routing for him to get to the 07 wimbie final as well to take on federer.

He was coached by Brad Gilbert in 2004, and in 2005 he was coached by Dean Goldfine. No wonder he was playing less well in the latter.

Nadal_Freak
06-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Gilbert got the best out of Roddick. Connors isn't even close to doing that so far. Maybe Roddick has lost a step.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Gilbert got the best out of Roddick. Connors isn't even close to doing that so far. Maybe Roddick has lost a step.

Roddick's best tennis and best chance of success was always with Gilbert. His splitting with Gilbert was a knee jerk reaction to not winning a slam in 2004, and it was stupid IMO. I am pretty sure he would have won atleast a couple more slams had they stayed together. He has only gone downhill on his merry-go-round of coaches since.

The Gorilla
06-16-2007, 05:55 PM
tactically he has improved exponentially with connors, it's just that he isn't hitting through the ball, which is weird because you would think tht if there was one thing connors knows how to do...

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Roddick would have destroyed all wta including Hingis.She is probably a genius but she ain't got the power.Roddick is winning wimbledon this year.

djsiva
06-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Which is the exact reverse of Hingis's problem. Her movement is good but there is no power in her shots.

Roddick has power, even on his backhand, but he can't get in position to hit them.

NamRanger
06-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Jimmy Conors changing Roddick's game destroyed Roddick's ability to hit his forehand. Roddick's forehand takes alot of time to setup, thus why when you give you a floater, he will crush the forehand with authority. However, because Roddick is not that good of a mover, and because he's hugging the baseline now adays, he doesn't have the time that he used to have (when he stayed 10 feet behind the baseline). Also because he's learned how to hit a backhand, and how to volley at least somewhat comptently, he doesn't have to rely completely on his forehand to finish points anymore, thus why it's not as good as it was before, he just doesn't hit it that often anymore.

Nadal_Freak
06-16-2007, 06:28 PM
How about Roddick vs. Henin on clay?

The Gorilla
06-16-2007, 06:36 PM
^^^^
very good question.

iamke55
06-16-2007, 06:43 PM
I always thought Roddick's forehand troubles started long before Connors came along.

I don't see Henin taking a set off of even a 17-year-old Nadal on clay, while Roddick did.

Yes, his movement is terrible. It's sad that a person known for playing one of the greatest defensive points ever is now slicing forehands that were aimed about 5 feet away from him.

Eric89
06-16-2007, 06:53 PM
roddick sucks.

inteligent comment;) ... I do not understand you people at all, Roddick has horrible volleys we all know that, However Roddicks groundstrokes are "aweful" you dont stay in the top 5 with JUST a serve ladies and gentlemen... Why do we hate on Roddick so much when it was our fault for put him on the highest pedestal possible?

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Roddick is gonna beat the hell out of fed in wimby.
Fed sucks:stupid boring tennis player.

rommil
06-16-2007, 10:15 PM

Henin in 3 lol.

helloworld
06-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Henin in 3 lol.

3 as in winning 3 points in the match ? lol

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Jimmy Conors changing Roddick's game destroyed Roddick's ability to hit his forehand. Roddick's forehand takes alot of time to setup, thus why when you give you a floater, he will crush the forehand with authority. However, because Roddick is not that good of a mover, and because he's hugging the baseline now adays, he doesn't have the time that he used to have (when he stayed 10 feet behind the baseline). Also because he's learned how to hit a backhand, and how to volley at least somewhat comptently, he doesn't have to rely completely on his forehand to finish points anymore, thus why it's not as good as it was before, he just doesn't hit it that often anymore.

I kind of disagree with this comment. I think that conner's coaching didn't do any harm to roddicks game only marginal improvements. Roddicks forehand became sour and slowy declined when that golfine guy took over. This guy made roddick play less aggressive by teaching roddick bad habits like his lame slice and his poor topspin forehand. I think what made Gilbert so good was that he taught roddick how to go for points and to not be afraid. Golfine made roddick more conservative. What I like about conners is the boost of confidence that he gave Roddick. Roddicks performances lately prove that confidence plays a big part in how you perform on the court or any facit of life. I still agree though that Gilbert was the man and always will be "the coach" plus his son is playing for the UC Berkeley tennis team. Go Bears!

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 10:28 PM

Ha Fed matches are some of the most entertaining matches to watch. The shots he creates are amazing. Still routing for Roddick to help save American tennis.

rommil
06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
3 as in winning 3 points in the match ? lol
Nah in 3 sets(best of 3 0r 5, take your pick).

OrangeOne
06-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Hingis has exceptional groundstrokes.

^^^^
very good question.

Very bad question.

stormholloway
06-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I kind of disagree with this comment. I think that conner's coaching didn't do any harm to roddicks game only marginal improvements. Roddicks forehand became sour and slowy declined when that golfine guy took over. This guy made roddick play less aggressive by teaching roddick bad habits like his lame slice and his poor topspin forehand. I think what made Gilbert so good was that he taught roddick how to go for points and to not be afraid. Golfine made roddick more conservative. What I like about conners is the boost of confidence that he gave Roddick. Roddicks performances lately prove that confidence plays a big part in how you perform on the court or any facit of life. I still agree though that Gilbert was the man and always will be "the coach" plus his son is playing for the UC Berkeley tennis team. Go Bears!

Connors. It's spelled Connors.

krz
06-16-2007, 10:49 PM
LOL Roddick would not lose to justine on clay, not even close. Even though I consider Justine to be the best womens player and having the best backhand on the WTA and ATP and fundamentally shes miles ahead of Roddick.

Just physically men guys are just stronger and hit heavier balls.

stormholloway
06-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I consider Henin a better player than Roddick, but she would get murdered. Men beat women. That's it.

Noveson
06-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Seriously now, I can already tell you are heading on the dark dark road to being hated on here. Either quit talking, or get rid of the bold and colors, and learn something about tennis.

tennis_hand
06-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Roddick's groundstrokes are better than Hingis' in a absolute comparisons. And.. only idiots will compare these between men's and women's.
But put them in their own leagues, i.e. Roddick in ATP and Hingis is in WTA, you can say Roddick is indeed worse than Hingis. Well, Hingis is a multi-GS winner. What did Roddick do? The winner takes it all. The fact that Roddick getting into several finals and losing won't let people remember anything.

The only thing Roddick does better than Hingis: the jerky serve.

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Hingis has exceptional groundstrokes.

no she doesn't, they have no power, they si up, this is because she does not hit through the ball.Like someone before me said:

Henin who is the same height, but looks smaller and weaker then Hingis, hits the ball like twice as hard. I suppose that is because of Hingis's flawless technique. :p

Very bad question.

Well, she has better, more powerful, groundstrokes, she moves better, she is a more intelligent tennis player, she hsa no weakness off either side, many claycourters have had similar mph's on their serve to hers, she could return roddicks serve on clay.

I think she matches up very well.

You cranky drunken aussie git.

OrangeOne
06-17-2007, 02:46 AM
You cranky drunken aussie git.

Can you keep it on topic? Please? I think Hingis has good technique, you don't, but again you choose to finish your post with a personal insult.

Disappointing.

Dolphina
06-17-2007, 03:46 AM

A lot of people think that Roddick played more aggressive than now, but I believe that he played more tactical, the tactic that Gilbert gave him. Obviously Roddick lacks a bit the quality to make his own tacticts, and tends to accept and do what coaches tell him. So far he didnīt seem to have a coach who really was able to bring the best out of him, which is imo a powerful baseline game (okay, heīs not as complete as for example players like Safin)
On the other hand, he always tended to play more topspin, but when I first noticed him on tour, he played much more risky and impressive. But at the moment he probably plays more topspin than ever, and that on grass, itīs just weird, I mean he puts so much effort in his strokes and gets such a little effect.
Maybe heīs trying to immitate Nadal, like Serena did at the French:-o

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 04:32 AM
contrast the roddick of today with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2b8mXXvwQs

look how he absolutely blasts the ball

krz
06-17-2007, 09:20 AM
^^ ahh Gilbert bring him back!

under gilbert Roddick:
Actually had a win over Roger
Won a Slam
Most importantly landed Mandy Moore due to Brads teachings...

edmondsm
06-17-2007, 10:05 AM
roddick sucks.

LOL. Roddick makes Moya look like a chump and he's only in the middle of his career.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
LOL. Roddick makes Moya look like a chump and he's only in the middle of his career.
i know, not as bad as roddick gets owned by federer... and nadal.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAPPPPPPPPP

tell me i didnt.

Mr. Sean
06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
contrast the roddick of today with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2b8mXXvwQs

look how he absolutely blasts the ball

If I were roddick I would watch that match over and over again just to boost the confidence a lil. Man he really did blast the ball back then no fear. Power really does triumph over control if it well executed.

edmondsm
06-17-2007, 03:07 PM
i know, not as bad as roddick gets owned by federer... and nadal.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAPPPPPPPPP

tell me i didnt.

It's to bad Roddick didn't get a shot at Nadal at Queens. I guess Nicolas Mahut proved to powerful, to talented, to tactically brilliant for Nadal to deal with.;)

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-17-2007, 05:44 PM
It's to bad Roddick didn't get a shot at Nadal at Queens. I guess Nicolas Mahut proved to powerful, to talented, to tactically brilliant for Nadal to deal with.;)

nadal has 3 slams, roddick only has 1, and he wont never win one again, atleast nadal doesnt get kileld by federer.

OOOOHHHHH SNAAPPP!!

YA BOY IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nadal_Freak
06-17-2007, 05:53 PM
nadal has 3 slams, roddick only has 1, and he wont never win one again, atleast nadal doesnt get kileld by federer.

OOOOHHHHH SNAAPPP!!

Also Nadal had to go through Federer to win all 3 slams. Roddick had to go through Nalbandian thanks to an upset. :D

edmondsm
06-17-2007, 08:27 PM

OOOOHHHHH SNAAPPP!!

Yes, Roddick "only" has one slam, and he gets owned by the GOAT. Your right, he is a worthless pile o' sh*t.:)

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
06-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes, Roddick "only" has one slam, and he gets owned by the GOAT. Your right, he is a worthless pile o' sh*t.:)
wow, u admitted fed is the goat, i dont wanna fight you no more, thanks, a lot of people seem to think he isnt.

but still, YA BOY IS BAD!

Morrissey
06-17-2007, 11:30 PM

Yeah Mahut is so good and talented why didn´t I see it earlier with that career losing record and all those grand slam titles? All that awesome talent.

edmondsm
06-18-2007, 01:13 AM
wow, u admitted fed is the goat, i dont wanna fight you no more, thanks, a lot of people seem to think he isnt.

but still, YA BOY IS BAD!

I know Fed is the GOAT, and believe it or not, I love Rafa and Moya too. I just like Roddick, what can I do?

HollerOne5
06-18-2007, 01:29 AM
SO this is a thread bashing Martina Hingis correct?

edmondsm
06-18-2007, 01:38 AM
SO this is a thread bashing Martina Hingis correct?

Unbelievable....when I thought that I had met the biggest Roddick hater in the world I am again, proven completely wrong. Did he steal your milk money or something?

The Gorilla
06-18-2007, 04:12 AM
They are? Please explain.

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

they have no power, she does not haver the option of hitting winners from the baseline.This is because she does not hit through the ball, that is to say, her technique is apalling.

OrangeOne
06-18-2007, 04:25 AM
they have no power, she does not haver the option of hitting winners from the baseline.This is because she does not hit through the ball, that is to say, her technique is apalling.

This is true, I've been watching Hingis on and off for the best part of 10 years, and I've never seen her hit a winner from the baseline, let alone many per match.