PDA

View Full Version : Who can go deep in Wimbledon?

mmuubb
06-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Although Fed is the heavy favourite, who do You think has a chance of winning Wimby(or at least performing well)? Who will fail despite theoretically being able to do well?
I've made a small list of my own explaining why I think some will do good or bad-opinions welcome.
In random order:

Andy Roddick
Good serving form-recent matches show against Cilic and Bogdanovic show it. Also his volleys are becoming better-i know it's not really a compliment when remembering how bad were they some time ago, but it can play an important factor on grass.If he doesnt move as if he has sniffed to much glue(as he did against Bogdanovic) he is among the favourites.

Rafael Nadal
Reached the final last year. Yes, I know his draw was a joke(a bad one), but still. He gets better on grass with each match, and this years Queens has shown he can confidently beat dangerous SV players with big serves on grass. Can go deep, but will fail to a good attacking player with some S&V skills who can back it up with at least confident back court game.

Mario Ancic
Last one to beat Fed on grass, every year he is said to be among the favourites. Last year quarters, semis three years ago. However he has been injured and even if he plays Wimbledon, he won't be in form to do some good results.I hope he will show his skill next year.

Ivan Ljubicic
Looks like a dangerous opponent on grass-great serve ,more than "holds his own" in rallies and good volley, but his results on grass are very weak.2nd-3rd round out this year I think.

Lleyton Hewitt
Great past results on grass( the suprising lost match in Queens was just an accident this year) and recent rise in form makes him a very dangerous opponent. Hewitt can reach even the finals or even win if by some miracle Fed will be out earlier.

Marat Safin
I know betting on him gives You less chances than lottery, but if it's THE time he can do well.

Guccione, Mirnyi, Karlovic
No one wants to meet them on grass, especially early in the tournament-which is possible because I don't think any of them will be seeded(not sure though). All can cause an early upset, but all lack back court game needed to go deep(they all would be among the favourites ten years ago though). Seeing one of them go deep would be great-a proof that S&V is not dead yet:). I think Karlovic is the most dangerous one.

Richard Gasquet
Has two grass titles, but is too mentally fragile. His recent drop of form doesn't make him a contender-I don't think he will go through the first week.

Berdych, Tursunov, Youzhny, Gonzalez, Nieminen
All of theese flat-hitters have good serves and good backcourt game. Most don't panic when at net, no great volleyers among them though. From the lot, Youzhny's game is least adjusted to grass. Nieminen and Berdych are in Halle semis and Tursunov is in Queens semis, so maybe they are the ones to watch out for in Wimby.However, I think Berdych is not yet ready for doing well for two weeks on grass. All of the rest able of pulling an upset. Not sure if it's right to put them in the same basket, but I didn't see too much of each of them o grass to tell something more about each one separately.

Novak Djokovic
Great recent form (RG, hardcourt MS) but done poorly in Queens.He can attack,serves well and holds his own at net. If he adjusts to grass before Wimby, he will definetly be a contender-his talent makes him dangerous on all surfaces.

Marcos Baghdatis
Last years semis show he is dangerous, but I don't think he will do as well this year-he was in lifetime form last year(AO and Wimby prove it). However, I'm totally unsure of what to think of his chances-Halle semis seem to change the picture. 4th round-a wild guess.

My dark horse picks:Jo-Wilifried Tsonga

Tennis_Nickmo
06-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Henman? Dependent on draw and confidence drawn from Nottingham, could poss do well.

dima
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
either baghdatis or berdych

kingdaddy41788
06-16-2007, 07:52 AM
No mention of Mahut?

rommil
06-16-2007, 07:56 AM
I think this Djokovic kid will go far not only in Wimby but in any future tournaments. He will be the third person everybody else will contend with.

tintin
06-16-2007, 07:57 AM
didn't Guccione go out to Clement a few days ago and you have the balls to put him ahead of Gasquet ahead of the kid?
Safin? u smoking bad grass
mofo please:rolleyes:

Ancic ain't even playing Wimbledon due to Mono:roll:

mmuubb
06-16-2007, 08:08 AM
In random order:

There is no "ahead of" or anything. Besides, it was Karlovic not Guccione.

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Hopefully tsonga will be in feds half of the draw. That gives my boy roddick a better chance to win it.

Zets147
06-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Bjorkman!!!!!

Eviscerator
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Bjorkman!!!!!

You never know, he has done it before.

tim8
06-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Article on this (http://www.tennischatter.com/atp-grass-season-preview-will-federer-make-it-5/)

Zets147
06-16-2007, 04:39 PM
You never know, he has done it before.

Yes, thank you. my memory can recall past events in 2006

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Roddick is the one.

Eviscerator
06-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes, thank you. my memory can recall past events in 2006

Well can it recall any other years wise guy?:p