PDA

View Full Version : Roddick wants to win Wimbledon badly

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 09:07 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AlOFHXUKXNPy.crBjA1XgyYpv7YF?slug=afp-tennisatpgbrusa&prov=afp&type=lgns

Wimbledon glory is Roddick's goal

by Steve Griffiths
June 16, 2007
LONDON (AFP) - Andy Roddick admits he won't be satisfied with his career until he has won Wimbledon.

Roddick lost consecutive Wimbledon finals to Roger Federer in 2004 and 2005 and is desperate to erase those bitter memories.

Although the American has won his home Grand Slam, the US Open, it is the famous gold trophy given to the mens' singles champion at Wimbledon that Roddick dreams of lifting.

To do that he will have to break Federer's four-year winning run at the All-England Club, but the world number five believes he has as good a chance as anyone on the tour of beating the Swiss master.

"I'd love to win a Wimbledon," he said. "I've been so close before. That is probably my primary goal in my career at this point.

"You would probably say that Roger was the favourite, but outside that, I feel like I'm right there.

"I put last year aside because I was probably playing the worst tennis I had played in the last four or five years.

"Every other time on grass, I have been right there, both with these tournaments and then I lost to Roger three times in the final and the semi-final."

Roddick has been fine-tuning his preparations for Wimbledon with an impressive run at Queen's this week, with the expert guidance of former Wimbledon champion Jimmy Connors helping him along.

Connors knows exactly what it takes to succeed on the lawns of west London and that makes him an invaluable addition to Roddick's camp.

Roddick frequently has to listen while fans talk to Connors about famous matches the American played in, but he loves soaking up the history lesson.

"We will be walking around and people will come up and say 'remember that match you played against this guy in 1970-something?,' Roddick said.

"He has a running history of every match he has played. I don't know if he remembers all of them, but he pretends to.

"I've hit with his old racket. He brought it to practice one day and had me hit 10 minutes with it. He said 'if you can hit with this thing, you can hit with anything.'

"You can hit through the ball, you just can't get this massive top spin shots that people do.

"I don't think Rafa would like it, but I hit through the ball a little bit, so I didn't mind it too much."

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm sure he does. Unfortunately Federer is 13-1 against him.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 09:10 AM
I would like to see him win Wimbledon. It is about time he won another Slam title. Unfortunately his ground game seems to lack the severity right now to beat either Federer or Nadal.

tintin
06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
that slice he is using won't fly with Roger

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 09:13 AM

or Nadal. or Djokovic.

tintin
06-16-2007, 09:15 AM
or Nadal. or Djokovic.

forget Djokovic for now
I'll say Murray and Haas,they've proven this time and again:D

BHStennisplayer
06-16-2007, 09:15 AM
He can beat Nadal on grass. Last year was a fluke for Nadal. The only person Roddick can't beat on grass is Federer.

tintin
06-16-2007, 09:17 AM
He can beat Nadal on grass. Last year was a fluke for Nadal. The only person Roddick can't beat on grass is Federer.

ask Murray and he'll gladly remind you of last year's results;)

Zets147
06-16-2007, 09:41 AM
lmao I miss that mopey bas ****

forzainter
06-16-2007, 09:46 AM
i think if roddick won wimbledon (beating federer) he (federer) would go into a state of shock and not play again until the us open

callitout
06-16-2007, 09:54 AM
forget Djokovic for now
I'll say Murray and Haas,they've proven this time and again:D

Arent both Murray and Haas injured?

Of course, with Roger in the draw Roddick's chances are slim indeed.
But I would favor Roddick against anyone else at this point on grass.
Im not sure that Haas has achieved too much on grass.

TheOrangeRacquet
06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I think they are both back now,
Roddick can beat anyone on grass besides Federer. I think last year was a fluke also.

clymb420
06-16-2007, 10:05 AM
So do about 100 tour pros. I want to win Wimbledon badly, too...and I'm a fatass who can't win my damn local championship. At Wimbledom, sometimes it seems like Roddick and the rest of the field has about as much chance as I do at Wb.

Forehand Forever
06-16-2007, 10:07 AM
I think if Andy doesn't give up he can have a chance at the title. A lot of the time when I'm watching Roddick it seems like he just gives up when he plays Federer and just wants to lose and go get a beer.

tintin
06-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Arent both Murray and Haas injured?

Of course, with Roger in the draw Roddick's chances are slim indeed.
But I would favor Roddick against anyone else at this point on grass.
Im not sure that Haas has achieved too much on grass.

Murray is back healthy and will play Wimbledon:D

forzainter
06-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Murray is back healthy and will play Wimbledon:D

serious? i dont think he will do that well to be honest, first tournament back and all

tintin
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
serious? i dont think he will do that well to be honest, first tournament back and all

Tennis, Wimbledon [16/06/2007 16h36]
Murray est rétabli

Andy Murray se présentera à Wimbledon en pleine possession de ses moyens.

«Je sers à pleine puissance, comme sur mon revers», a commenté Andy Murray à un peu plus d’une semaine de Wimbledon. L’Ecossais, qui s’était blessé au poignet à Hambourg le mois dernier, semble donc suffisamment rétabli pour le plus prestigieux des tournois britanniques.
http://sports.lefigaro.fr/filinfo_tennis__wimbledon_murray_est_retabli_61075 .html

he is healthy again.Serving well and hitting good backhands and will play Wimbledon

Malisse,Melzer,Acasuso,Jie Zheng and Oprandi all pulled out of Wimbledon :shock:

Tennis: Malisse et Melzer forfaits à Wimbledon

sam 16 jui, 20h17

WIMBLEDON (AP) - Xavier Malisse et Jurgen Melzer ont déclaré forfait pour le tournoi de Wimbledon, ont annoncé samedi les organisateurs.

Malisse, qui a atteint les demi-finales du tournoi en 2002, est touché au poignet, une blessure qui l'a déjà contraint à ne pas disputer Roland-Garros le mois dernier.

Le Belge est remplacé dans le tableau masculin par le Taïwanais Lu Yen-hsun.

Melzer n'a pas précisé les raisons de son forfait. L'Autrichien est remplacé par l'Allemand Michael Berrer.

Paradorn Srichaphan, la lauréate de Roland-Garros 2004 Anastasia Myskina, Jose Acasuso, Jie Zheng et Romina Oprandi avaient déjà déclaré forfait pour le tournoi, qui débute le 25 juin. AP

petr/v0389
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/16062007/29/tennis-malisse-et-melzer-forfaits-wimbledon.html

nn
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Roddick is right up with Roger on grass. Even Roger agree after last year final against Nadal that final with Roddick was more tense or competitive.

prince
06-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Roddick is right up with Roger on grass. Even Roger agree after last year final against Nadal that final with Roddick was more tense or competitive.

roger might just be trying to be polite.

is the gap still getting closer between andy and roger?

krz
06-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Roddicks been the 2nd best grass court player for like 4 years now, last years wimbledon was a fluke.

and the gap is getting closer, roddick had match points in shanghai. Everybody keeps bringing up Australia but I think that is the best tennis match I have seen Fed ever play... actually thats the single best performance I've ever seen.

tintin
06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chris1992
06-16-2007, 01:30 PM
if murray is out of wimbledon. i think roddick can beat nadal on grass and he would play federer in the finals. i would really want roddick to win as the whole nadal-federer thing is pretty boring. there needs to be more competition within the top 10.

Roger is Boring
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
good luck to roddick I hope he can do it.
I hope anybody can win wimbledon this year except federer.Robots like fed winning all the time is so boring.

Ztalin
06-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I hope Roddick wins. Either him, or Safin... lol.

caulcano
06-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I think if Andy doesn't give up he can have a chance at the title. A lot of the time when I'm watching Roddick it seems like he just gives up when he plays Federer and just wants to lose and go get a beer.

I think Federer feels the same way when he plays Nadal ...

caulcano
06-16-2007, 03:18 PM
good luck to roddick I hope he can do it.
I hope anybody can win wimbledon this year except federer.Robots like fed winning all the time is so boring.

So would you say Nadal winning on clay is just as boring?

NamRanger
06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
roger might just be trying to be polite.

is the gap still getting closer between andy and roger?

In 2004 Roddick took a set off Federer, who looked pretty invincible on grass. He was the only one at Wimbledon that year who could keep up with Roger's groundstrokes on grass. I believe there was a rain delay here that also helped Roger out a little too.

2005 although it was a straight set victory for Federer, you could easily tell it wasn't an easy match. Federer pretty much played some of the best tennis of his life against Roddick in this match.

It's not like Roddick can't beat Federer when Federer's not at his best, just look at Shanghai. Roddick had match points, he just choked. Or 2003 in Montreal. When Federer's on, he makes anyone look bad.

Mr. Sean
06-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Roddicks been the 2nd best grass court player for like 4 years now, last years wimbledon was a fluke.

and the gap is getting closer, roddick had match points in shanghai. Everybody keeps bringing up Australia but I think that is the best tennis match I have seen Fed ever play... actually thats the single best performance I've ever seen.

That was the best tennis I have ever seen roddick play in a while. He mentally choked at the end mainly due to the fact that he was about to beat his arch nemesis. 3 match points jeez. It was a great match because there was no pretext for federers poor performance he flat out got outplayed. If i could remember correctly roddick actually won more points than fed. Looking forward to their meeting at wimby 07.

ACE of Hearts
06-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Fed's win in 2005 was one of the most brilliant played matches i have seen him play.Roddick would have at least 2 wimbledon titles.

stormholloway
06-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Agreed, that match against Roddick at the Aussie was phenomenal. I've never seen anyone play tennis that well.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 04:40 PM
In 2004 Roddick took a set off Federer, who looked pretty invincible on grass. He was the only one at Wimbledon that year who could keep up with Roger's groundstrokes on grass. I believe there was a rain delay here that also helped Roger out a little too.

2005 although it was a straight set victory for Federer, you could easily tell it wasn't an easy match. Federer pretty much played some of the best tennis of his life against Roddick in this match.

It's not like Roddick can't beat Federer when Federer's not at his best, just look at Shanghai. Roddick had match points, he just choked. Or 2003 in Montreal. When Federer's on, he makes anyone look bad.

Your comments on the 2004 Wimbledon final are accurate but your comments on the 2005 Wimbledon final are not. The 2005 Wimbledon final was a very easy match, even moreso then the score suggest. Federer was never worried at all, and he hardly played "some of the best tennis of his life". The only points Roddick were winning were by free points on the serve, and unforced errors by Fed. The only reason the 2nd set went to a tiebreak is Federer casually threw in a real lame duck serve game to break himself early on, before immediately getting the break back next game. Then in the final game before the tiebreak on Roddick's serve Fed had tons of break points/set points and just didnt bear down that much on them, and then won the tiebreak easily, but he could have won that set 6-2 or 6-3 easily as well.

He just played a very good solid match, nothing more. Roddick in 2003 and 2004 could push Federer, but his groundstrokes and overall game have diminished greatly since then. The only thing that keeps him in matches with Federer, when he is in them that is, is the free points he wins on serve. Late last year Roddick gave Fed a couple good matches, and was rediscovering alot of his 2003-2004 weapons, but he has lost some mojo again since then. He could get it back, but his performance at Queens so far has convinced nobody of that. Getting stripped down by Fed in Australia when he went in so confident, then getting stripped down by Nadal on U.S Open hard courts(this was probably even worse for his pysche)seems to have set his confidence level back quite a bit again.

Nadal_Freak
06-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Roddick lost to Murray last time I remember. Nadal therefore is the second best grass court player. Nadal will only get better as well.

federerfanatic
06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Nadal is definitely not the second best on clay until he posts a second result like he did at Wimbledon last year. That is his only result anywhere near that. Roddick did better then Nadal every other time on grass except last years Wimbledon. Hewitt also. So they are both clearly over Nadal on grass until he posts a second result like that, if he ever does that is. You cant be second best based on just 1 result at Wimbledon, when all others contradict that.

NamRanger
06-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Your comments on the 2004 Wimbledon final are accurate but your comments on the 2005 Wimbledon final are not. The 2005 Wimbledon final was a very easy match, even moreso then the score suggest. Federer was never worried at all, and he hardly played "some of the best tennis of his life". The only points Roddick were winning were by free points on the serve, and unforced errors by Fed. The only reason the 2nd set went to a tiebreak is Federer casually threw in a real lame duck serve game to break himself early on, before immediately getting the break back next game. Then in the final game before the tiebreak on Roddick's serve Fed had tons of break points/set points and just didnt bear down that much on them, and then won the tiebreak easily, but he could have won that set 6-2 or 6-3 easily as well.

He just played a very good solid match, nothing more. Roddick in 2003 and 2004 could push Federer, but his groundstrokes and overall game have diminished greatly since then. The only thing that keeps him in matches with Federer, when he is in them that is, is the free points he wins on serve. Late last year Roddick gave Fed a couple good matches, and was rediscovering alot of his 2003-2004 weapons, but he has lost some mojo again since then. He could get it back, but his performance at Queens so far has convinced nobody of that. Getting stripped down by Fed in Australia when he went in so confident, then getting stripped down by Nadal on U.S Open hard courts(this was probably even worse for his pysche)seems to have set his confidence level back quite a bit again.

Very true, but in 2005 Roddick really was the only guy who could even come close to staying with Federer at Wimbledon. In 2005, after losing at Australia and France, Federer just steam rolled the competition at Wimbledon. He practically was invincible while going into the final 2005.

Roddick's psyche shouldn't be hurt, he needs to realize that the two players he got beat by were playing some of the best tennis they've ever played. Nadal flattening forehands on hardcourt and hitting on the rise? Happens once every blue moon. That and they are just plain out more talented then him.

ACE of Hearts
06-16-2007, 05:48 PM
It will be interesting to see if the organizers at wimbledon will put Roddick on the other side of the draw.

DashaandSafin
06-16-2007, 05:52 PM
He probably will be seeded number three, after Nadal because of his last year finals result (fluke or not). That could be huge trouble for him since he has to actually get to the final to win it...how dissapointing would it be for him to actually beat Federer and lose in the final?

NamRanger
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
He probably will be seeded number three, after Nadal because of his last year finals result (fluke or not). That could be huge trouble for him since he has to actually get to the final to win it...how dissapointing would it be for him to actually beat Federer and lose in the final?

Highly doubt it, he'll probably be seeded 4th at most. The tournament directors aren't going to be dumb and try and have the championship match as the semis, we all know no one has a prayer against Federer on grass EXCEPT Roddick.

krz
06-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Hes probably gonna be seeded third, theres just no one that can be ranked above him other then nadal and fed. He might even get a 2nd seed because I think they take the past 3 wimbledons into account. And ther current grass court season as it looks like hes probably gonna win queens again.

but yea i would hate to see fed, roddick semi's.

TheTruth
06-16-2007, 06:52 PM
This year's Wimbledon sounds good going in. Usually so many players are conceding defeat before the tournament even begins. This year, they're all putting their name in the hat. I hope we have a competitive, chokeless Wimbledon. Man, would that be cool!

Rodditha
06-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I hopes Roddick wins.It's time for Fed to go to bed.

skip1969
06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
oh, he wants to win wimby, does he?? well, considering he hasn't won ANYTHING is so bleedin long . . . maybe he should make due with queen's club for now.

Safina
06-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Roddick has an UGLY UGLY game.
He seems to have lost a step too and is horrible at moving to his right if someone hits a zinger wide to his forehand side.
His serve is heavy, but very readable by the top pros.
And if he loses a set, I see it going downhill quickly.

If Roddick gets to the finals of Wimbledon in 07... i will be shocked.
I see RAFA, Djokovic, Murray, Hewitt, Baghdatis, Gonzo ... all giving him problems... even Davydenko!!!!

He better hope for a great draw... or else...

WhiteSox05CA
06-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Me too .

tennis_hand
06-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I think he did realize that. He used less slice in the semi than he did in the quarter.

tennis_hand
06-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Roddick has an UGLY UGLY game.
He seems to have lost a step too and is horrible at moving to his right if someone hits a zinger wide to his forehand side.
His serve is heavy, but very readable by the top pros.
And if he loses a set, I see it going downhill quickly.

If Roddick gets to the finals of Wimbledon in 07... i will be shocked.
I see RAFA, Djokovic, Murray, Hewitt, Baghdatis, Gonzo ... all giving him problems... even Davydenko!!!!

He better hope for a great draw... or else...

the only true analysis in this thread. Those wanting Roddick to win must dream a lot.

DashaandSafin
06-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Ha analysis my ***. What has he said besides Roddick is slow and predictable? Please, if his serve were so predictable, he wouldnt be anywhere close in the ATP matchfacts on service games and aces.

prince
06-17-2007, 04:14 AM

the gap is getting closer my @ss.
the gap is like US interstate 10 or the pacific ocean .

you see that aussie open - thats how fed normally play
you see roddick now - struggling - that how he normally play.

slice bh compliment
06-17-2007, 05:44 AM
...my @ss...the gap is like US interstate 10 or the pacific ocean ...

Wow. You might need a proctologist for this extreme a condition.

Dolphina
06-17-2007, 06:02 AM
LOL, I thought last year he played a lot better than before and this year, more aggressive. He just had a mental breakdown.
Like he´s playing now, he wants win Wimbledon?:confused: :o :D
Hm, but Tennis is weird sometimes, we´ll see:grin:

veritech
06-17-2007, 09:42 AM
i think roddick's loss last year was a fluke.