PDA

View Full Version : Best String for holding tension

poncho
09-30-2004, 06:26 PM
I have an Ncode 95 (18x20 string pattern). I am looking for a string that holds its tension and is comfortable. That is the bottom line.

Can you suggest the Brand that you think would work with this racquet or string pattern? :cry:

pchoi04
09-30-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm using ashaway monogut. I think I get pretty good pop on the ball and I think it holds tension pretty well too.

NoBadMojo
09-30-2004, 06:45 PM
any good quality gut holds tension best and the comfort is legendary

finchy
09-30-2004, 06:59 PM
monogut does NOT hold its tension well. the first day i got it, it played wonderfully, but since then, my backhands have been going long all the time (1hbh). even a few hours after i had it strung, i played and it didnt feel the same. (first time i hit with it was 5 minutes from the stringer).

do not, i repreat, DO NOT use monogut if u want a tension holding string.

btw, best tension holding and comfortable string is gut.

hungry
09-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Luxilon BigBanger TiMo 1.22mm

I've experimented with:
Babolat natural gut
Bow brand natural gut
Wilson Sensation
Prince Synthetic gut
Prince Tournament
Luxilon Supersense
Luxilon AluPower
Luxilon Original
Luxilon Ace
Luxilon XP

I can say that the Timo holds tension best.
1.22 is softer than 1.10

cristian p
10-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Agree with the comments on gut. I've played with the entire line of Luxilon strings -- there's no way that any of them holds tension even remotely at the level of that of gut, at least from my experience. Similar to many on these boards, I find they lose tension and resiliency, and hence go dead, pretty quick. Of all the Luxilons though, I've found Alu Power and BB Original to have the highest tension stability. Of course, if you're looking for comfort in a string, the obvious choice would be natural gut if you can afford it.

WhiteStripes
10-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Definitely natural gut for both tension maintenance and comfort. Nothing else comes close.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-01-2004, 03:27 AM
The best non-gut strings for tension maintenance are Laserfibre, but stay in the family of laser treated strings. Supreme is a crisp multi with a good following and I have many customers who play with the Laserlite XL (a solid core). If you want to explore the more costly spectrum move into the Supernatural Gut. You can read about the strings at the LaserFibre web site, www.laserfibre.com

RacquetDoctor
10-01-2004, 03:49 AM
Best tension maintainence? Gut. Hands down.

Finchy's experience with monogut is the same for ALL of the new co-polymer strings. If you play with them right off the machine, you can become addicted to the fantastic play. The problem is that you really notice the drop off the next day/time you hit. I feel that what people experience is more of the loss of resiliency(ability to snap bsck) in the string more than tension loss. If you string lux banger strings with a prestretch setting/poly setting, they only lose about 2% overnight(based on RDC readings), but they playability really does fall off. For this reason, when I string these types of strings for customers, I like the sticks to sit for 24-36 hours before they play with them. While this is not always an option, the people that wait to hit with the sticks are generally happier with the results.

It's kind of like playing with iso speed pro right off the machine. Unreal power and control. 24 hours later/ it's just not the same stick.

Mark

tarheelbornjohn
10-01-2004, 05:05 AM
I strongly agree with the monogut loss of tension very quickly. If you wait more than a couple of hours after stringing and you love to hit out don't plan on being able to nail the baseline very often. ALU holds much better, but will go dead after 9-15 sets. But that is more than I get out of strings that break like the Wilson line. As far as the quetion here, gut would be the way to go if you don't play in wet conditions.

Rabbit
10-01-2004, 05:57 AM
Absolute best tension maintenance? KEVLAR

fastdunn
10-01-2004, 08:54 AM
It's hard to believe either kevlar or polyester maintain tension
because they tend to do more of plastic deformation than elastic deformation. Especially the kevlar is known to be the worst material in dynamic tension maintenance..

However, I do not much differences in "feel" with poly and kevlar over
longer period of time. But I do sense these string lose power or liveliness
quicker than gut or nylon. But the feel of impact itself does not seem to
change with kevlar or poly until it breaks.

Everybody knows gut is best in tension holding. But among synthetics,
I agree with Jerry and Laserfibre was the best I've tried. It maintains stiffness for very
long period of time and still felt resilient and lively.
Polys and kevlar always feel stiff for very long time but not resilient or lively for long period of time....

ffrpg
10-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Monogut definitely doesn't hold tension well!