PDA

View Full Version : Queens Final - Roddick v Mahut

laurie
06-17-2007, 02:19 AM
This match will take place in a couple of hours. I'm quite intrigued, despite Nicholas' lowly ranking, he has natural talent, we now know he was junior Wimbledon champion in 2000 so he can still fullfill some potential as I would have thought he would be around 23 years old. Rafter came through around the age of 24.

What I really want to know is how you guys think Roddick will play against a serve and volleyer who serves and volleys on both 1st and 2nd serves? Nicholas serves quite big on 2nd serve too and unlike Karlovic in 2005, can stay in the rallies, he did against Nadal. What do you guys think?

I'll give a match report later on this evening when I get home as to how the final developed.

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 03:33 AM
mahut serves 115 to 130 on his second serve, up to 140 on his first.

federerfanatic
06-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Mahut is not the next Rafter. He is a good journeyman player who is having a nice tournament, nothing more.

Beating Nadal on grass isnt some phenomenal result. Nadal is beatable on grass by anyone pretty good on it. People make the mistake of thinking Nadal is extremely hard to beat on grass because of his Wimbledon final last year. However that was courtesy of a joke draw, and then in the final he could not come close to beating Federer playing one of the worst matches of his life.

ACE of Hearts
06-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Hold your horses Federerfanatic on that as we speak.I wished Rog served and volley more.

J-man
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
This is a good resilt by Mahut. But I really don't expect this to be his break through. He is still a journeymen. Come Wimbledon he will be out by the 3 or 4 round

WhiteSox05CA
06-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Andy Roddick for the win! He's very comfortable at Queen's Club. He'll get the job done.

No one has streaming video of it do they? I'm just following the pointracker from ATPtennis.com.

Forehand Forever
06-17-2007, 07:21 AM
In the Pro Match Results, someone said that you can watch it on TVU but my TVU doesn't want to work right now. I'm trying to watch it on ATPtennis.com but it's incredibly hard to watch the live scoring.

Cfidave
06-17-2007, 07:23 AM
If Roddick can't beat a guy ranked outside the top 100, on grass, he doesn't deserve a top 10 ranking.

alcap26
06-17-2007, 07:40 AM
You can say what you want guys but that was a great match to watch. Congrats to both players

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 08:42 AM
it was so funny when that guy told roddick to shut up and get on with the match and everyone started laughing at him.

tintin
06-17-2007, 09:17 AM
it was so funny when that guy told roddick to shut up and get on with the match and everyone started laughing at him.

I know right:lol: :lol:
he was getting annoying with all the yapping:x
funny thing is he would not yap and whine that much had he been playing Roger;)

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I know right:lol: :lol:
he was getting annoying with all the yapping:x
funny thing is he would not yap and whine that much had he been playing Roger;)

because he knows there's no way he could intimidate roger

Myng
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
He seems so immature.

laurie
06-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Well just because someone is ranked outside the top 100 doesn't mean they are not talented. Sport (not just Tennis) involves many factors, mental application and discipline to get to the top. If you win junio0r Wimbledon you must have talent. And life doesn't revolve around numbers alone, a player shouldn't be dismissed beacuse of a number.

And so onto the match, I did say I will give a report. Mahut played briliantly and had the match in his hands on match point in the 2nd set tiebreak when nerves unfortunately got the better of him. His touch around the net is excellent and he can be rightly proud of his achievements and I now expect him to go up the rankings. He has a top 50 game without a doubt, this should give him the belief to work on his game and improve. And unlike today's so called versions of serve and volleyers, his return and baseline game has potential.

And about Rafter, Rafter lost 7 finals in a row until he made the breakthrough and won the US Open in 1997. I remember the comentators mentioning that statistic all the way through the match. Rafter went on to become a great player in his mid 20s, which is good - not everyone peaks at age 21.

No doubt in 1997 before the US Open Federerfanatic may have dismissed Rafter as well after hearing that stat but not everyone is blessed like Roger Federer to go on incredible runs. Also in 1997 Andre Agassi dropped to 141 in the world and was able to come back. I think other players deserved to backed as well and I for one will be monitoring Nicholas Mahut's progress from now on.

Vision84
06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I like Mahut's game. It is refreshing to see serve and volleyers. His touch around the net was superb. I will certainly be keeping an eye on this guy.

Anyone know what was the joke with the ball girls that was getting everyone laughing?