PDA

View Full Version : stringing a cracked racquet

Anonymous
09-30-2004, 09:50 PM
i have a head PT 280 at home that i want to string but theres a crack right in the very middle at the top of the head. Its a very small crack that hasnt affected the playability. will my frame break if i tried to restring it. my friend gave it to me, it plays fine but im worried about stringing it, right now its strung at like 66lbs.

bcaz
10-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Don't do it, it might blow out in your face. A professional racquet stringer would refuse to string the racquet.

rich s
10-01-2004, 01:06 PM
no might about it. as soon as you pull tension on that first main it will crumble like a house of cards.

Smashlob
10-01-2004, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't do that racquet either, while there is a good chance nothing would happen, I wouldn't want to get blamed for it worsening and/or breaking the racquet.

Steve Huff
10-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Actually, if the playability isn't affected, there's a good chance the racket isn't cracked, except for the top layer of paint. A crack will generally cause more vibration. I'd string it. If it's cracked and it breaks, big deal--you lost an already broken racket. Anyway, the racket should be supported at 12 o'clock by the machine, so it shouldn't collapse while stringing. If it's not your racket, I'd tell the owner that it may not hold the stringjob, and show him the crack BEFORE you string it. If he still wants it strung, do it.

Anonymous
10-01-2004, 11:56 PM
it is my racquet, but i enjoy playing with it and dont want to break it (though they're like 60 bucks now). The graphit is at the point where some parts overlap the others, but it plays the same as it did before my friend cracked his racquet and gave it to me :D

bcaz
10-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Steve Huff is experienced and knows his stuff, so his advice is sound. It may be worth the risk after all.

rich s
10-02-2004, 04:41 AM
even if it doesn't collapse while stringing it as soon as you take it off the turntable it will distort greatly and the tension will be way off.

David Pavlich
10-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I go along with Steve. Inspect it very closely. Use a magnifying glass. If you can get a grommet set, remover the bumper and see if the crack is clear through the frame.

If the crack is all the way through, then it's pretty much over. However, if it's like Steve says and is superficial, you should be ok.

If you decide to string it, watch very closely when you cut out the strings to see if there is any change in the crack.

Good Luck!

David

Power Game
10-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey David,
I see you upgraded your Aria to a Sensor. Congrats

David Pavlich
10-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey David,
I see you upgraded your Aria to a Sensor. Congrats

I've done about 60 frames on it so far. All I can say is Wow! Best clamping system I've ever used and the way it tensions poly is fantastic. Very quick. I'm still getting used to the tension head, but it's getting better.

Extremely rigid mounting system. The only thing I'd change on the machine is the location of the turntable brake. It's the only protrusion that catches the string. However, compared to the other machines I've used, it is a minor consideration.

David