PDA

View Full Version : 10 station circuit for tennis fitness (juniors)

OrangeOne
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok - I'm currently fitness training a group of 8-12 junior players once a week, and I'm keen to do more of this sort of training. My background is that I have been both a fitness instructor and trainer in gyms and also for some sports teams.

Here's the criteria:

Circuit goal: All-round fitness with a focus on some muscle-work (endurance), most (I daresay all) of these kids don't do any resistance-training
Location: A "double" tennis court (two joined courts). Synthetic grass surface. Large grass park available, but often very damp due to winter dew.
Duration: 30 mins including a quick-post-stretch, participants already warm
Stations: 10 stations, intended duration 45 secs
Equipment: As little as possible, certainly no more than can fit easily in a gear bag.
Mode: Probably pair the kids up, giving them someone to work with & help each other out.

Now, the hard bit... the stations themselves. I'm thinking:

1. 5 step sprints: start at fence, 5 step sprint, slow down by net, stop, turn around, repeat.
2. Pushups: Straightforward pushups, 'narrow' for the advanced (tricep focus), from knees for the beginners
3. Side-skipping: Half-length of court side-skipping.
4. Crunches: Abdominals station with different ab exercises for different levels of fitness.
5. Jump-rope: Straightforward jump rope
6. Lunges: Aiming for some leg-muscle-endurance work (maybe should be squats).7. Agility run: Cones placed out in a course, run course & repeat
8. Dumbell row: Targeting some back work (difficult in a non-gym capacity, open to some other ideas here)
9. Star-jumps: An old circuit favourite, simple, easy, etc.
10. Medicine-ball passing: Chest-passing a medicine ball.

I'm happiest with the first half of the stations, and I'm open to input on any station, or the order in general. I'm especially looking for something to replace '10' simply so I don't have to lug around a medicine ball. Also - if you have done a tennis-fitness circuit, feel free to post the details...

Cheers!

chess9
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Just some thoughts:

1. I assume these are teenagers in the 13-17 age range?
2. You say you are doing this once a week, but is that the limit? I'm not sure that's going to do a lot for them. Kids can absorb huge volumes of work, of course, but twice a week would be optional, plus, twice a week would give you the opportunity to vary the workouts more.
3. Variety-I'd add one or two new exercises each week. Change, as you know, is instrumental in muscular growth. Jump rope has a wide variety of possibilities, so I'd look at three variants, including team jump roping. (timed to 100).
4. The medicine ball, is a good idea if it's heavy enough, but once a week would be best for that one. Again, lots of possible variations there with the med ball.
5. I like leaping and lunges. Maybe lunges with the medicine ball? Leaping for height GAIN?
6. That routine sounds like a 45 minute routine with so many kids to supervise.
7. I did the same thing with a high school girl's tennis team when in college, and I can tell you it took forever some days because of the giggle reflex and the grab-*ssing by the girls. :) They were a joy to work with, but keeping them focussed was hard. Boys might be just as tough.

Sorry I can't help more.

-Robert

Ano
06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
OO, I highly recommend you to buy a book called COMPLETE CONDITIONING FOR TENNIS.

You can buy the book from TW.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageKINETIC-BCC.html

OrangeOne
06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Chess: Thanks heaps for the reply, responses in red....

Just some thoughts:

1. I assume these are teenagers in the 13-17 age range?

Yeah, mostly, some are a bit younger but I'll limit their activities as appropriate (and damn, because I noted their ages in a previous version).

2. You say you are doing this once a week, but is that the limit? I'm not sure that's going to do a lot for them. Kids can absorb huge volumes of work, of course, but twice a week would be optional, plus, twice a week would give you the opportunity to vary the workouts more.

They currently only meet once a week. Any work they do is as much to mentally 'toughen them up' as much as it is to actually increase their fitness. I'd love them to be training twice a week, but it's not that serious a squad.

3. Variety-I'd add one or two new exercises each week. Change, as you know, is instrumental in muscular growth. Jump rope has a wide variety of possibilities, so I'd look at three variants, including team jump roping. (timed to 100).

Good call.

4. The medicine ball, is a good idea if it's heavy enough, but once a week would be best for that one. Again, lots of possible variations there with the med ball.

Indeed, except for me having to lug it around ;).

5. I like leaping and lunges. Maybe lunges with the medicine ball? Leaping for height GAIN?

Good call. I have had them doing some pre-season stuff.

6. That routine sounds like a 45 minute routine with so many kids to supervise.

Must work with time available unfortunately, but I'll take your point and maybe cut it down to 6 or 7 stations a week, and thus get the inbuilt-station-variance week-on-week.

7. I did the same thing with a high school girl's tennis team when in college, and I can tell you it took forever some days because of the giggle reflex and the grab-*ssing by the girls. :) They were a joy to work with, but keeping them focussed was hard. Boys might be just as tough.

Always a factor, I've trained multiple girls netball (close enough to basketball) teams at once, both around age 12 and around age 15 - funny but a true nightmare at the same time :)

Sorry I can't help more.

Hey - that's been a load of help. I probably should have been more specific about the limitations up front with *this specific team*, but that said, I do want to do more of this and thus those limitations will hopefully not apply.

OO, I highly recommend you to buy a book called COMPLETE CONDITIONING FOR TENNIS.

I'll have a look Ano. In the meantime - any suggestions? This training plan will be executed (weather-permitting) tomorrow night for the first time, and even if I order that book today I won't see it for a week or more....

Ano
06-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll have a look Ano. In the meantime - any suggestions? This training plan will be executed (weather-permitting) tomorrow night for the first time, and even if I order that book today I won't see it for a week or more....

Here my suggetion which I stole from the book I mentioned.

1. Lunges
2. Oblique twists
3. Abdominal Crunches
4. Superman, lift arm and leg (opposite sides of both) and hold for 1 second before lowering
5. Jumprope (quickly)
6. Db. row
7. Right and left internal rotation
8. ladder drills
9. medicine ball : chest pass and overhead slam
10. pushups
11. medicine ball : forehand and backhand
12. right and left external rotation

Notes:
- focus on at least 12-15 reps per set and low intensity. Build a base for the future
- the time limit can be 30 to 60 workout seconds per station; you should attain at least 12-15 reps within this time limit. Proceed one to three times through the circuit.
- always stretch before and after each workout.

chess9
06-21-2007, 06:20 AM

Yes, I'd second that. I have that in my library.

-Robert