PDA

View Full Version : How long does guts/poly hybrid last?

Golden Retriever
10-01-2004, 08:51 AM
say if you play 3 times a week. I like guts/poly hybrid but kind of worried about the durability for economic reason. Pls help.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Depends on type of string, gauge, your hitting style and many other variables. Tell us what you typically play with, how long it lasts as well as your style and the strings you are considering. With this information we might be better able to give some estimates.

mark rodgers
10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
The nice thing about this hybrid is that the strings don't move around. Given that the strings don't break the poly with wear out faster than the gut. Whenever the poly starts moving around a lot, it's time for restringing. Since you are "economically challenged", I suppose you could just restring the poly and leave in the gut.

borisboris
10-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Each string = different scenario. My 1st hybrid gut - syn gut didn't last long. I had Wilson NGut 16 in the mains & Gosen Bio Gut Poly 16 in the X's & the Gosen popped 1st. I then restrung the X's w/ Ashaway Monogut and that last for about 4-5 hrs. My only concern is that there was a fracture in the neck/throat area of the stick and I don't know if the restring of only the X's was the cause. Currently hitting w/ Wilson Ngut + Syn gut. Always lower the X's a few lbs from the Mains. NGut is powerful so string it 3-4 lbs higher than typical syn gut or even higher than your std Poly.

bcaz
10-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Geez, I would never advise leaving mains or crosses in a racquet and restring. Why try to save -- at most -- string that cost no more than $17.50 new (1/2 set of VS) that is significantly worn already and risk the structural integrity of your ($100-150-200) frame?

Golden Retriever
10-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Depends on type of string, gauge, your hitting style and many other variables. Tell us what you typically play with, how long it lasts as well as your style and the strings you are considering. With this information we might be better able to give some estimates.
I use Babolat Tonic+ NG for mains and Luxillon Big Banger Original for cross.

David Pavlich
10-02-2004, 06:09 AM
If your reason for the hybrid is durability, then put the poly in the mains. For better feel but less durability, do the opposite.

DON"T cut out one or the other and restring. You're compromising your frame and you will be producing an inferior string job.

David