PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray I Radical

koolperson359
06-18-2007, 12:27 PM
hey i was wondering does anybody know for sure what racket andy murray uses? does he use an intelligence radical mid plus or is the i radical the paintjob? i've heard of different things but does anybody know for sure?

tingaling
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I am fairly sure that it is a real i.radical just with loads and loads of lead. He's used it for ages now and if it was a paintjob he wouldn't need so much lead

what a peach of a shot
06-20-2007, 04:21 AM
He uses an ordinary iradical midplus but with a prestige bumper strip to increase weight and SW.

Fedace
06-20-2007, 04:48 AM
He uses an ordinary iradical midplus but with a prestige bumper strip to increase weight and SW.

I heard he will be switching to microgel radical since it is the best ever;)

vsbabolat
06-20-2007, 06:36 AM
I hate to break this to you guys but Murray does not use a real i.Radical mp. Here is some info from a person who has actually handled Murray's racquet.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1219730&postcount=32
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1089062&postcount=4
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1285528&postcount=9

What Murray is basically using is a original Radical Tour 630. Also the Pro Tour 630 is from this same mold. HEAD changed the mold of the Radical series in 1999 with the Ti.Radcal making the Radical 21mm beam width. 1mm wider than the original Radical/Pro Tour mold.

BHStennisplayer
06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I hate to break this to you guys but Murray does not use a real i.Radical mp. Here is some info from a person who has actually handled Murray's racquet.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1219730&postcount=32
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1089062&postcount=4

What Murray is basically using is a original Radical Tour 630. Also the Pro Tour 630 is from this same mold. HEAD changed the mold of the Radical series in 1999 with the Ti.Radcal making the Radical 21mm beam width. 1mm wider than the original Radical/Pro Tour mold.

Why does he paint it then? It's not like it's Head's new model.

vsbabolat
06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Why does he paint it then? It's not like it's Head's new model.

Murray does not paint it HEAD manufactures and paints the racquets. It is because when Murray started to use the original Radical Tour 630 HEAD was painting them to look like the i.Radical MP. Because that is what HEAD was selling to the public at that time. Murray thinks the racquet will play different if it does not have that matte finish to it.

Roger_Federer.
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Maybe he doesn't like the color.

Simon Brown
06-20-2007, 05:10 PM
This is the best conspiracy theory ever. Murray uses a paintjob of a discontinued racquet because he thinks that a different paintjob will affect his game. Maybe he's actually using the new Microgel Radical and thinks it's brilliant but, to Head's despair, he insists on having it painted like an old iRadical? That would serve Head right for doing paintjobs in the first place. ;)

emcee
06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah I'm guessing the newer players starting getting good with more modern racquets (like the i.Radical) but are just as stubborn and smart as Sampras, etc. and refuse to switch to crazy racquets with holes drilled in them and stuff. Still I wonder why they don't get him to use it PJ'ed as something newer...

what a peach of a shot
06-21-2007, 04:55 AM
As I said iradical and prestige bumper. Info from the "Head" Rep to the UK. Head would really like him to switch to the newer model, but he likes his older frames.

jackcrawford
06-21-2007, 05:02 AM
This is the best conspiracy theory ever. Murray uses a paintjob of a discontinued racquet because he thinks that a different paintjob will affect his game. Maybe he's actually using the new Microgel Radical and thinks it's brilliant but, to Head's despair, he insists on having it painted like an old iRadical? That would serve Head right for doing paintjobs in the first place. ;)
Sampras felt the same way but he started with the real cosmetics on the 6.0 - Murray started with the fake I-Rad cosmetics on the 630 mold. Not so hard to understand, right? Obviously the paint wouldn't affect the racket, but then Nadal's water bottles don't really have to be lined up; it's a superstition.

vsbabolat
06-21-2007, 06:39 AM
This shows how far and wide the Paint Jobs go at HEAD.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/74594354.jpg
His name is Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria he is 16 years old and playing at the 2007 Stella Artois Junior Championships. Grigor is using the Pro Tour 630 with a Paint Job of the Flexpoint Radical mp. With Grigor being 16 years old he has not spent years growing up playing with with the Pro Tour 630.
The racquets HEAD sells to the Consumer are Garbage. HEAD even gives for free Pro Tour 630 that they are making in Austria to a kid playing ITF juniors. It just goes to show that HEAD does not even think Flexpoint was any good to let a 16 year old use a racquet that has not been sold in almost 10 years.

This is what HEAD did to Murray when he was a Junior playing on the ITF Junior Circuit. Murray has so far not wanted to change the paint job on his original Radical Tour 630 with i.Radical paint job. The Original Radical Tour 630 uses the same mold as the Pro Tour 630. The only difference is the Layup.

HEAD changed the mold of the Radical series in 1999 with the Ti.Radcal making the Radical 21mm beam width. 1mm wider than the original Radical/Pro Tour mold.

HLM2
06-21-2007, 08:29 AM
What do you think is the best head racquet- currently available to the consumer? Its almost impossible to get an austrian made one these days.

vsbabolat
06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I was surprised with the feel of the MicroGel Radical MP. It was a nice hitting racquet. It did not have the weird vibration buzz that the Flexpoints and Liquidmetal racquets have. It honestly felt nice. I did not like the light static weight of the Microgel Radical MP however.

HLM2
06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Would is still be a good players stick? The unusually low weight and only 2 points head light make it seem not as enticing. BTW, any thoughts on the intelligence line? I've heard mixed things, im kinda interested in the i.radical but mp is so hard to find, for some reason only oversizes are availabe.

vsbabolat
06-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I suggest you demo the MicroGel Radical MP. Also if you like the way the MicroGel radical plays you can always costomize it with lead. Out of the Intelligence line I think the i.Prestige Mid and i.Prestige MP were the best. Sometimes a new i.Prestige pops up on the bay.

shiva29
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
I suggest you demo the MicroGel Radical MP. Also if you like the way the MicroGel radical plays you can always costomize it with lead. Out of the Intelligence line I think the i.Prestige Mid and i.Prestige MP were the best. Sometimes a new i.Prestige pops up on the bay.

and maybe you can add cap grommets to tjis microgel radical in order to give it some extra weihgt

Swiftslaughter
06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I've tried to add cap grommets to my radical, but they just didn't fit. I also tried head guard to the heads of them like the prestiges, and it worked out better. It seems that the added weight overall isn't too noticeablely heavy, and I liked the added weight. But in the end, maybe it's just that I'm starting to prefer heavier rackets.

Ash_Smith
06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
As I said iradical and prestige bumper. Info from the "Head" Rep to the UK. Head would really like him to switch to the newer model, but he likes his older frames.

I concur with this, I know the contracts manager for Head UK and he told pretty much exactly the same back in April. Murray doesn't like a paintjob on his racquet because he says it makes it feel different. It's also, as somebody else pointed out, ridiculously heavy compared to most others.

vsbabolat
06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Murray does not get his racquets through HEAD UK. He gets them through HEAD Sport AG in Kennelbach, Austria.

Ash_Smith
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
That doesn't change the fact that i'm friends with the guy who is the Head UK contracts manager and that it is he who manages Murrays Contract. Where the rackets come from is neither here nor there.