PDA

View Full Version : Multi vs. $4 Synthetic?

Benjamin
10-01-2004, 02:26 PM
What are the pros and cons of going with an "$8-$15" multifilament string (ie: X-Cel, Premier, TRC, Sensation) over a $4 Synthetic Gut string (ie: Prince Syn. Gut, Extreme, Wearguard)?

Thanks.

Benjamin

iscottius
10-01-2004, 03:12 PM
This is really a great question if you think about it!!!! the obvious answer is The Pro's of Multi's are:
feel
power
Soft on the arm

The Con's are:
$$$$$
Durability

The pro's of a Good cheap syn gut are:

low price
crisp feel
less tension loss
a little better durability

I have tried all of the "Premium Multi's" and have recently bought a reel of PSGD & a Reel of the Big Hitter.

I like the regular old psgd it is crisp and predictable, I don't find any diference in playability or outcomes in my matches. You just have to get used to the crisp feel versus the muted feel. I play with a players frame and it offers good feel & playability.

fastdunn
10-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I prefer multi's for serve and volley. In fact, I'm so hooked on the
feel of multi's I'm not going back to mono nylon for a while.
Maybe occasionally some 18 gauges. But I seem to lose some
control in ground strokes with multi's compared to mono nylon
or polys..

There is a group of multi's in $6 - $9 range that I like.
I personally do not pay over $13 for multi's because we have
$18 guts.. Plus there are many choices of strings with exquisite
feel in $10-13 range... (ex. TF 515, LF Supreme, KLIP....)

I do miss crip feeling of mono nylon as iscotius mentioned
and thus my main choices tend to be crisp or firm multi's like
Laserfibre Supreme($12) and Dulop Max Comfort($7).....

Biggest turn off of multi's for many people seems to be the poor
tension maintenance of multi's but certain crisp and firm multi's
outrun average monos, I found out....

Marc C.
10-01-2004, 05:48 PM
In the past few months, I have used both gamma live wire and prince synthetic gut duraflex. I find that they break after the same period of time, but this is because rather than breaking, the multifilaments simply turn to mush and lose all playability.

rooski
10-01-2004, 06:05 PM
For me it came down to durability vs price with a dash of feel.
The multi's are (as has been said above) too mushy and too powerful for me. They also are IMO a bit worse with durability than PSGD.

For example...I got 3 sets of Live Wire XP (2 sets of 17g and 1 set of 16g) from a buddy of mine in a trade. I got just under 5 hours playing time from the 17's and just under 7 hrs with the 16g. The last hour or two both were absolute mush. I've had similar experience with other multi's in this range. PSGD lasts longer and feels pretty good right up until it breaks.

IMO, hi/mid range multi's are for people with arm problems (and don't want to deal with taking care of gut), or people that really like the extra power that these strings provide. I don't need or want either.

PSGD is the way to go for me.

fastdunn
10-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Marc C. and Rooski, you guys have used one of the most mushy
mutli's in the market, IMO. If you're going to give another try
on mutli's maybe in the future, try crisp or more firm multi's.
And also some of multi's maintain tension or playability longer
than PSGD, in my experiences. Majority of multi's like Gamma
Live Wire lines, however, turned mushy in less than 5 hours,
like you guys said.....

tomato123
10-04-2004, 05:50 PM
what are some of the non-mushy, firm, crisp multifilament strings that you mention? i've been using prince synthetic duraflex for the past 5-6 years and just recently i've been trying out different setups and i'd like to give the multifilaments a try (since i'm not a poor college student anymore :D )

fastdunn
10-04-2004, 06:23 PM
I can only say for those I tried..

Anyway, tomato123, some of crip and firm mutli's are
Laserfibre Supreme(very crisp but with premium multi feel),
Dunlop Max Comfort(slightly firmer than average),
Technifibre 515(soft but I didn't find it mushy...)
and Ashaway Dynamite(different kind of multi)
and Babolat Brio(didn't try it but some says it's too firm).
Among these, my favorite is the Laserfibre Supreme....

Good luck and enjoy....

alleycat
10-05-2004, 05:20 AM
I would add Yonex 850 Tour pro spin to FastDunn's list. One of the crisper multi's I have used, and definitely better on string movement than Dunlop's multi and for me, better durablity. You can order it on TW if you do a search for 850. I just ordered another set. Never tried Laserfibre but at $8.95 the Tour pro is hard to beat.

10s99
10-05-2004, 06:16 AM
I like Alpha Gut 2000 a lot. I use the 16 guage. It is crisp and though it does loosen up (perhaps more then SynthGut), I like the way it plays the whole time. In contrast, I do not like the way PSGD plays when it gets loose.

It is a good deal for a Multi: 5.90 I think.

I break strings pretty frequently and have found it nearly as durable as PSGD. The slight loss of durability (maybe 2 sets or so) doesn't bother me b/c I always wished the PSGD would break a set or two before it did (or i would cut it out as it became too loose).