PDA

View Full Version : My debate: Nike Cage of Prince MV4?

hyrulemaster
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey guys,

I ordered a pair of Nike Breathe Free IIs a couple months back because of hearing so much great stuff about it - from the TW review, great customer feedback, etc. Well I got them and thought they were so mediocre beyond belief. Not comfortable, looked cheap (cheaper than other non Nike shoes definitely, with the mesh instead of actual material, and they pass it off as lightweight technology), not durable either.
Maybe the fit just wasn't for me.

Right before tennis season started I ordered Prince MS4s and couldnt have been happier. Support, great comfort, good quality (of material), durable, good looks.

Well tennis season's over and its time for me to get a new pair of tennis shoes for the summer. I'm wondering whether I should give the Breathe Free line another shot, or stick with the Prince M4 line (I was actually considering trying the MV4 or MC4 just to keep variety.) The Breathe Frees have been praised endlessly, and not much has been heard about the Prince's. The Nike's look cooler, and maybe this next time around with the Cages or another pair of Breathe IIs I'll change my mind.

What do you think?

The Ripper
06-19-2007, 08:26 PM
It sounds to me like you found "your" shoes, the Princes. I have owned the Prince T-10 (?) which was the predecessor to the MV4's, etc. I have tried them on but for me there was too much material, rubber, etc. more shoe than I needed. I like the Breathe Free II's because they are very minimalist - very light, classic yet modern styling and for me more comfort (they feel like houseslippers on court) and better court feel than any tennis shoe I've ever owned. I'm also very light on my feet, so I can play in them for 6-8 months before the treads start to get bald. But truly, just like picking a tennis racket, shoes are totally individual too. Just because a lot of people like the BF2's, doesn't mean they're right for everyone (needless to say!).

I am currently playing with the Nike Cage's, which you might like a bit better because they are a bit thicker and slightly heavier; or to put it another way, not as much court feel or quickness as the BF2's. So just yesterday I sent for two more pairs of the BF2's because when I play with them I never even think about my shoes, they just do exactly what I want which for me is perfect!

So just find the shoes you like the best and play with them. Maybe one of these days you will come back to the Breathe Frees (just like an old racket) and think "wow, these are the best."

Good luck!

hyrulemaster
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ripper.

Can anyone else give any help?

XFactorer
06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
There's a reason why the Breathe Free 2's are still in production... everyone loves 'em! If you don't like 'em... then there's something wrong with you! :-P But seriously, if you don't like them, get something else! Don't force yourself to like it just because everyone else likes them and it's been praised endlessly! Go for Prince if you like them that much! But I think the Nike shoes are high quality, stylish shoes!